Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2023, 01:24 PM   #751
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle basic, kobo elipsa/libra, SNA4X, pocketbook 740
thank you for your response! and clipboard flow, just meant i do everything (notes, sketches, etc) on a clipboard with regular paper and i wanted dpt to emulate that. also i don't mind no pen sensitivity, shame its not wacom although.. how can i be able to test a unit? any stores showcase it?
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:17 PM   #752
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by readthinksurvive View Post
thank you for your response! and clipboard flow, just meant i do everything (notes, sketches, etc) on a clipboard with regular paper and i wanted dpt to emulate that. also i don't mind no pen sensitivity, shame its not wacom although.. how can i be able to test a unit? any stores showcase it?
I think it's gone. No DPT product links now here where they used to be. Also it's totally orientated to PDFs and seems less flexible than the Kindle Scribe, which needs Amazon servers to do what Kobo Sage/Elipsa does standalone. The Fujitsu eink tablet based on same HW is supposed to be better SW and may still be sold.
https://electronics.sony.com/

Wacom isn't particularly special. MS bought a pen company (Ntrig)because they didn't like it. Apple of course did their own system.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylus_(computing)#Active
The Wacom EMR is a 2nd generation Wacom tablet stylus. The original was 1992.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacom

The AAAA cell in the MS type pen lasts about 1500 hours of use and maybe years of standby. They are as cheap as 30c and can have up to 10 years shelf life in a cool place if not in a Pen.
The MS rechargeable versions (inc newer Kobo) have about 100 to 500 hours and the cell is not replaceable. The Apple Pencil is only rechargeable.
The Wacom adds drain to the ereader instead.

I do occasionally use a clipboard with A4 paper for diagrams, sketch plans and measurements. I'd get at least a 12″ plus size Kobo if it was at least 227 dpi. The current 13″ models seem too limited and are lower resolution and too expensive.

Edit:
I see Wikipedia claims the Apple Pencil charge lasts about 12 hours of use!
I'm still on the same AAAA cell on my main pen on the Kobo Sage that was fitted a year ago!

Last edited by Quoth; 06-16-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 10:30 PM   #753
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

I think you're right but 150 dpi is not a problem for me for now will wait for super note a4x and see what everyone thinks of it , also I dont want kobo elipsa to be interference with my books by having notebooks due to buggy software am afraid of having too many notes also the storage only 32GB - not enough for books + notes for me
Old 06-24-2023, 11:45 AM   #754
88%
Enthusiast
88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch

Device: DPTS1
Quote:
how can i be able to test a unit? any stores showcase it?

Quoth is correct - stores would've stopped carrying this unit long ago. If there is something specific you'd like to see I'd be more than happy to shoot a short video clip.

I'd see nothing wrong with using the DPT-S1 as a clipboard the way you describe. The only issues I'd foresee have to do with speed:
  • to be able to take multiple pages of notes/sketches at the same speed as paper, you'd be using a multi-paged single pdf document. Creating a new pdf takes several taps, while adding a sheet to an existing pdf is done with a single swipe left from the final page
  • working from the notes you've taken won't be able to match the speed of paper. I don't have this issue with notes because I take them on the unit and process on my laptop, but the DPT-S1 doesn't move fast enough for me to use it as a manager for my references on the fly. For example, if someone asks a group to refer to a specific page of a document, I'll usually be the last one to the page.

Quoth mentions needing special Sony software, but I believe he/she may be thinking about the DPT-RP1. I can confirm that no software is needed to transfer files to/from a DPT-S1. It's just plug and play.
88% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 12:54 PM   #755
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88% View Post
Quoth is correct - stores would've stopped carrying this unit long ago. If there is something specific you'd like to see I'd be more than happy to shoot a short video clip.

I'd see nothing wrong with using the DPT-S1 as a clipboard the way you describe. The only issues I'd foresee have to do with speed:
  • to be able to take multiple pages of notes/sketches at the same speed as paper, you'd be using a multi-paged single pdf document. Creating a new pdf takes several taps, while adding a sheet to an existing pdf is done with a single swipe left from the final page
  • working from the notes you've taken won't be able to match the speed of paper. I don't have this issue with notes because I take them on the unit and process on my laptop, but the DPT-S1 doesn't move fast enough for me to use it as a manager for my references on the fly. For example, if someone asks a group to refer to a specific page of a document, I'll usually be the last one to the page.

Quoth mentions needing special Sony software, but I believe he/she may be thinking about the DPT-RP1. I can confirm that no software is needed to transfer files to/from a DPT-S1. It's just plug and play.
what do you mean by it’s not fast? Can I see an example, if you were to write super fast like you need to write it down before you forget, also have you ever ran out of storage on it? If you were to have it for years
Old 06-24-2023, 01:28 PM   #756
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
what do you mean by it’s not fast? Can I see an example, if you were to write super fast like you need to write it down before you forget, also have you ever ran out of storage on it? If you were to have it for years
I don't remember the DPT-S1 internal storage, but it also has a slot for a microSD card, and USB mass storage is supported for both internal and external storage. The models that came after do not have a microSD slot and do not support USB mass storage, instead requiering propritary software running on microsoft.

The DPT-S1 is very old and it is probably hard to find one.

Do not use it in a sauna.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 04:31 PM   #757
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't remember the DPT-S1 internal storage, but it also has a slot for a microSD card, and USB mass storage is supported for both internal and external storage. The models that came after do not have a microSD slot and do not support USB mass storage, instead requiering propritary software running on microsoft.

The DPT-S1 is very old and it is probably hard to find one.

Do not use it in a sauna.
That was what I found by the time I was interested in buying one, no generic access. Just Sony's program on Windows (Was there no Mac version?). Designed to look like a PDF printer for Windows.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:39 PM   #758
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That was what I found by the time I was interested in buying one, no generic access. Just Sony's program on Windows (Was there no Mac version?). Designed to look like a PDF printer for Windows.
I think windows only.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 01:06 PM   #759
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Does anyone know about a root or jailbreak for the dpt-s1? So far I have only seen one for the DPT-RP1
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:48 PM   #760
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Does anyone know about a root or jailbreak for the dpt-s1? So far I have only seen one for the DPT-RP1
The only one I know of was a shady binary-only hack with payment posted a long time ago on this site and perhaps some other forums but afair, either the site hosting the hack no longer seems to exist or one had to pay the person in advance to get the hack.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 08:00 PM   #761
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Quote:
The best option imo is to find a used one for sale locally (e.g. Craigslist or similar) and see if the seller will let you try it out - if I were nearby, I would be happy to let you try mine out. I've used both the rM2 (with a staedtler noris wacom stylus) and the v1 Elipsa and vastly prefer the rM2 for note taking. The ~6GB available storage of the rM2 is probably a limitation for you but it is possible to export/archive notes to OneDrive, GDrive, and (maybe) Dropbox. I've also tried using the iPad with the Nebo app for notes but never installed a 'paper-like' screen protector so it wasn't a great experience but the Nebo iPad app was pretty magical with its run-time writing recognition though it had its bugs too.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 03:50 PM   #762
88%
Enthusiast
88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch

Device: DPTS1
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Writing is not slow - I can take notes as fast on the DPT-S1 as I can on paper. Where it lags is in turning multiple pages at a time. Flipping to the next page is fine, but flipping 10 pages just can't match paper.

Internal storage is 3GB. I've never run out or storage, but I don't use the device to keep my notes. After making notes or reading everything goes back to my laptop for processing.

j.p.s is correct the device has a microSD expansion slot. It has a max card size of 32GB.

To give you an idea of the size of notes, I've got two notes it now:

1 page 2 colour (red & blue): 63kB
4 page 1 colour: 105kB
88% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:34 AM   #763
CagatayAksu
CagatayAksu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Exclamation I have a japanese unit, can i change its OS language?

Do you know how to change the language of the device? My device came with Japanese language firmware but it should definetely be possible to have English software on it. Settings don’t include an option for language. Can someone please help me with this, guide me in the right direction? I have already tried formatting or re-initializing the device as Sony calls it but no option for language came up. How can I solve this?
Many thanks in advance.
CagatayAksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 06:49 PM   #764
CagatayAksu
CagatayAksu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Mertens View Post
Hello,

I will go to Japan in September and want to buy the DPT-S1 there as it seems to be impossible to get access to this device in Belgium. I have however some questions :
1. Is it possible to buy the DPT-S1 in retail in Tokyo?
2. Can you buy the DPT-S1 in Japan with the English menu's and if not
is it possible to modify the menu's to English on on a Japanese DPT-S1.
3. Can someone recommend a shop in Tokyo for the DPT-S1 (if (1) is possible of course.

Thanks a lot in advance

Marc Mertens
Hey, did you ever find out if the device firmware can be changed to English language if it is a Japanese Version originally?
CagatayAksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:11 PM   #765
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CagatayAksu View Post
Hey, did you ever find out if the device firmware can be changed to English language if it is a Japanese Version originally?
The last I know this is not possible

Havent seen any indication of this yet

Also there still isn't a tutorial on how to root or jailbreak the dpt-s1

I made a thread on xda developer: https://xdaforums.com/t/sony-dpt-s1-...d-2-2-1.465646

Please join in if you are interested in rooting your dpts1. Rooting it would enable you to install the english firmware which is not possible atm

Last edited by gamba66; 02-15-2024 at 09:59 AM.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crop, croppdf