Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Leaving Calibre running kills my desktop manager

Month-old fairly fresh Xubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) install and Calibre 6.19.

For about a week now, I've had weird symptoms.

Been leaving Calibre running, to download news in the early-early mornings. Had it set to autostart when I boot into XFCE, too.

Without warning, my panels will disappear; or I will be dropped out of my X session, or I will find myself without any window widgets. When it happens, I almost always lose all the programs that are docked to the tray.

For two days, I haven't run Calibre. No problems.

This afternoon I restarted Calibre -- twice today I've had problems. Just came back -- screensaver was running; when I ended it, I had no window manager and no keyboard -- had to power down.

I can't tell if this is a conflict with GDM, xfwm4, xfdesktop or something else, like firefox. It's brutal though. Maybe it's related to the massive cpu usage of whatever 'loader' is?

I'm leaning toward xfdesktop, only because I've seen it restart twice, in rapid succession (when it restarts the desktop background changes.) But it could be dying for some other, domino-like reason.

How can I trace this? I'd like to use Calibre, but...

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Only thing I can think of is try disabling the calibre system tray integration. If you want to trace it you'll have to debug Xserver communications (the X11 protocol), not for the faint of heart. Or try looking at ~/.xsession-errors or whatever the equivalent is on your system, you may get lucky.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Is the ~/.xsession-error file replaced at every session?

The only mention in it currently (I've rebooted since the last major crash) is that the option -s is not a recognized option.

I'll launch it later when I have some time to investigate.

Thanks,

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
depends on how your system is setup. Some system set it up to be overwritten each time, some not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, crash, loader