Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyta View Post
I hope I can keep my glowlights going for a bit longer, they work great.
Which Glowlight are you talking about? The Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight or the original Nook Glowlight?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:53 AM   #17
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
The simple Touch with Glowlight, I thought that was the first one with the glowlight? I didn't like the Plus and the 3rd has been a big disappointment. I've had a couple of cracked screens so I bought others from ebay and they have worked well for me.
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2018, 04:17 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The simple Touch with Glowlight, I thought that was the first one with the glowlight? I didn't like the Plus and the 3rd has been a big disappointment. I've had a couple of cracked screens so I bought others from ebay and they have worked well for me.
I've got a Nook Simple Touch (my first reader) and a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. I still think they were well built readers -- and it was pretty easy to replace the battery. One thing I don't like about them is that -- when they wear out -- that rubber/plastic cover gets kind of "sticky."
Old 09-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #19
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Haven't noticed that problem because I bought covers for them and they take the brunt of day to day wear. Also got the covers to protect the screens. No more cracks for the time being.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Haven't noticed that problem because I bought covers for them and they take the brunt of day to day wear. Also got the covers to protect the screens. No more cracks for the time being.
I've got mine in covers also. It's a noticeable issue around the Page Turn buttons. I'm guessing if you don't use the Page Turn buttons (on the original NST, not on the one with the Glowlight) that it probably wouldn't happen (or at least wouldn't be an issue).
Advert
Old 09-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
JeffGeorge
Connoisseur
JeffGeorge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
So if I've broken my Nook 7" would it be silly to get another Nook? Should I switch to Kindle? I want to be able to use the 16GB SD card that was in my Nook.
JeffGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGeorge View Post
So if I've broken my Nook 7" would it be silly to get another Nook? Should I switch to Kindle? I want to be able to use the 16GB SD card that was in my Nook.
Not necessarily silly. If you like the Nook (I'm assuming we're talking the current $50 7" tablet here & not one of the much older Nook Tab's or Nook Color's) you've always got the option of adding things like the Kindle &/or Kobo apps now or later since it has the Play store installed on it. So even if B&N were to end Nook entirely you wouldn't be completely out in the cold. Conversely the equivalent $50 7" Fire Tablet doesn't have the Play store (unless you add it yourself which isn't too hard) and no access to other retailers reading apps without it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:58 AM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Conversely the equivalent $50 7" Fire Tablet doesn't have the Play store (unless you add it yourself which isn't too hard) and no access to other retailers reading apps without it.
I've got one of the cheap ($50) Amazon Fires and it only took a few minutes to find the Nook, Kobo and even the new Walmart eBook apps. You just install them as APKs (I haven't bothered with the Google Play Store).

I don't know, however, how it would work with Nook books on an SD Card.

I'm also not sure whether the OP meant a tablet or the original white Nook eInk device (it's sometimes referred to as a 7" Reader because it had that extra color screen on the bottom).
Old 09-05-2018, 02:13 AM   #24
gafortiby
gafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheesegafortiby can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook simple touch
Yeah the big displays are all down. the devices are still on display at the customer service desk and still being sold.
gafortiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've got one of the cheap ($50) Amazon Fires and it only took a few minutes to find the Nook, Kobo and even the new Walmart eBook apps. You just install them as APKs (I haven't bothered with the Google Play Store).

I don't know, however, how it would work with Nook books on an SD Card.

I'm also not sure whether the OP meant a tablet or the original white Nook eInk device (it's sometimes referred to as a 7" Reader because it had that extra color screen on the bottom).
Yeah, you can just install the APK's (just be careful where you're getting them from). It's just easier with the Play store to know when there are updates and stuff.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yeah, you can just install the APK's (just be careful where you're getting them from). It's just easier with the Play store to know when there are updates and stuff.
But I don't like Google enough to want their Playstore on my tablet. Besides, it's a nuisance. It constantly wants you to upgrade all its applications. The APK installed applications seem content to just stay "as they are." The Fire is as close as I come to Android — though my Blackberry Q10 (Blackberry OS) will run some Android applications in emulation (that's how I run the Kindle app on it — the Kobo app is native Blackberry).
Old 09-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #27
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
They used to be pretty hard to miss, right at the front of the store. In a day or so I'll check our local Barnes & Noble and see if they've been moved. If they have, that's not a good sign for Nooks.
goodereader.com reports the past year in a few articles that it is being moved to the back of the store. But who knows. I may go to a B&N Thursday and see myself
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #28
cband7
cband7 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch glow
As Of Today

Received this from B&N help desk a short while ago

((reply))

Thank you for writing to us.

We would like inform you that the NOOK Shelf in your NOOK Library are only for NOOK Books only or eBooks that are purchased from Barnes and Noble.

Sincerely,

Albert

NOOK Support Agent
Barnes & Noble

((end - in more ways than one..... ))
cband7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 AM   #29
rhyta
Enthusiast

Quote:
I've got mine in covers also. It's a noticeable issue around the Page Turn buttons. I'm guessing if you don't use the Page Turn buttons (on the original NST, not on the one with the Glowlight) that it probably wouldn't happen (or at least wouldn't be an issue).
I don't use the buttons after my first Glowlight developed a crack in the screen next to the page button. I just tap in the corner of the screen to turn the page and that works ok.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:55 AM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cband7 View Post
We would like inform you that the NOOK Shelf in your NOOK Library are only for NOOK Books only or eBooks that are purchased from Barnes and Noble.
Does this mean that side loaded books don't show up at all? -- or that they can't be categorized and filed with the store bought books?

(Sorry for my ignorance.)