Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Creating Custom Column for Read and Date Read

I would like to use the new feature in Calibre Companion to sync the Read (yes/no) and Date Read with Calibre. But I do not have these custom columns in Calibre.

I have a customn date column in one of my Calibre libraries for date archived. So if I have two date custom columns how do I ensure CC syncs to the correct one?

I know this is a basic question I should probably know the answer to, but...
What do I use for Lookup Name, Column Heading, and and Column Type when I create these new custom columns to ensure they will sync with CC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
LadyKoori
LadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle
OOOO! I totally know this one. (and you all thought I only came to bug you with problems)

To create a Read column, you want the lookup name to be something like #read, the heading to be Read, and the type to be yes/no. That last part is very important. For date read you would use #dateread for lookup, Date Read for the heading, and the type to be date.

Then you go into settings on the CC app. Scroll down to Marking Books Read. This is where you tell CC which column to sync the info to. Don't forget to tell it to update the date read when read. The value for Sync Column for Read would be #read and the value for Sync column for Date Read would be #dateread if you use the names I used above.

Edit: Obviously the names can vary just make sure that the sync columns have the right lookup names. The ones above are what I use.

Last edited by LadyKoori; 03-20-2014 at 08:59 PM. Reason: clarification
LadyKoori is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

ETA: One other quick question. Do I need to mark all the unread books with "no" in the Read column or will it treat blank as "no" (or at least not "yes")?

Never mind I figured out to mark them yes and no using bulk reconvert.

Last edited by library addict; 03-20-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Thanks!

ETA: One other quick question. Do I need to mark all the unread books with "no" in the Read column or will it treat blank as "no" (or at least not "yes")?

Never mind I figured out to mark them yes and no using bulk reconvert.
I hope you mean using "Edit metadata in bulk"?

Anyway, each of the three options (yes/no/empty) will appear as an option to search by in the grouping drawer under "Read". What each of those mean is really up to you. See here (in the Calibre Companion FAQ): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=43

So you can use "yes" to mean have-read, and "no"/"empty" to mean have-not-read. Or whatever else you want.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-21-2014 at 12:51 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:27 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@library addict: given that you had questions and that now you have gone through this, could you take a look at the CC FAQ about Read info and tell me how it *didn't* answer you questions? Scroll down until you see "Marking books read and syncing that information with calibre". Now is the time for us to get this right, saving people confusion and frustration.

@LadyKoori:

@eschwartz: my preference is Yes for read and empty for not-read because it is visually cleaner both in CC and calibre. I don't (yet) have a real use for No, but might use it as a priority not-read (next to be read).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@chaley
No is reserved for books I (this is my read list) have no intention of completing.
I do not discard books, someone else may want to take a peek at it Also I paid $ for it).

A NO makes the data set complete, no repurchasing a missing title.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I hope you mean using "Edit metadata in bulk"?
Oops. Yes, Edit metadata in bulk is what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@library addict: given that you had questions and that now you have gone through this, could you take a look at the CC FAQ about Read info and tell me how it *didn't* answer you questions? Scroll down until you see "Marking books read and syncing that information with calibre". Now is the time for us to get this right, saving people confusion and frustration.
Now that I see the FAQs, it is a very thorough explanation. I appreciate the pictures, too. I did a search of the forum to see if there were instructions, but must not have used the right keywords. And I forgot about the FAQ thread yesterday. No excuses.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
If you don't mind I steal the thread I have a question, related to CC although it's really a Calibre question: Is there any way to create a CALCULATED yes/no column so I can sync it with CC?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:51 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If you don't mind I steal the thread I have a question, related to CC although it's really a Calibre question: Is there any way to create a CALCULATED yes/no column so I can sync it with CC?
No. CC insists that the Read column be a real Yes/No column, something I did to (I hope) reduce support costs. And in any event, syncing a composite (calculated) column doesn't work because there is no way to sync in reverse (CC to calibre).

You can have CC group on a composite column if you wish, which may satisfy your needs. In CC's settings, add its lookup name to the list of columns to group by. The column will appear in the grouping drawer. The values you see are those that were in effect the last time you transferred metadata (connected as a wireless device).
Old 03-22-2014, 03:20 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, I supposed it but I wanted to confirm it. I will configure it now (and try to check why read date is not being sent).
Old 03-22-2014, 03:48 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
(and try to check why read date is not being sent).
Watch your device when you connect. When you connect, CC will pop up a message for a few seconds if the lookup name you are trying to sync is not in your library or is the wrong type, or if there is a problem with the version of calibre you are running.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I've seen it (a lot till I selected the right column ), and I've discovered MY mistake with the read date column, it works now like a charm, thank you very much.