Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #46
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the Kindle Paperwhite 3 is ever going to get the newest firmware. It seems like an awful long time to be bypassing it.
The really strange part of that is that the PW2 has been updated.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #47
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
The really strange part of that is that the PW2 has been updated.
I know. And now even the original Oasis is up to 5.10.2. The Paperwhite 3 is the last holdout (of Kindles new enough to get this update).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #48
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
A few days ago, I updated my new PW4 to this level by sideloading the update. The only issue I had was that after rebooting, most of my themes had lost the font setting. All themes, except one that used bookerly, had reverted to the same san serif font and I had to re-update them all to reset the correct font.

The themes that lost their font settings were all using sideloaded fonts, so this looked like the commonality here. Has anyone else seen this?
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've noticed my Kindle Basic (8th Edition) tends to choke (and has to be rebooted) on "Save to Kindle" documents and side-loaded books now. It's been doing that since about 5.9.7. At first I thought it was fixed with a later release, but then I realized I hadn't been doing much side-loading or "send to kindling" at that time. After the reboot it seems fine, until I send another document or load another side-loaded book to it. The one experiment with a PDF book to Kindle conversion (trial) continued to give me issues. I finally just deleted it. All the other documents and side-loaded books work after the initial reboot. Something is still not quite clean in this firmware, I'm afraid.

The last three "send to kindle" documents (documentation about AsciiDoctor) each caused the Kindle Basic (8th) to choke (until the reboot), but all worked flawlessly on my older Kindles. It's unusual for Kindles to have flaws in the firmware. Not sure if I like this trend.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #50
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Yeah, my Oasis 2 still can't handle my docs. At least I can now still operate it after attempting to open one. Before this update it would just be useless until a restart. But I still can't open docs and it still locks for a while and I still get the popup about downloading it again from store or whatever it says.

I haven't tried my Voyage, basic or old Oasis yet as they haven't been online in a while. I moved and I haven't found all my kindles yet.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:08 AM   #51
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Does the new multiple custom settings work with any book format, (mobi) or only for azw3 or kfx?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 AM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Does the new multiple custom settings work with any book format, (mobi) or only for azw3 or kfx?
You can save a theme with any format, but custom fonts and the boldness slider are there only for azw3 and kfx.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #53
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can save a theme with any format, but custom fonts and the boldness slider are there only for azw3 and kfx.
Periodicals get none of this -- which is typical, and ridiculous, because periodicals, being MOBI, are exactly the sort of place where you'd *want* theming with different (i.e. the same) line spacing etc.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #54
doctorat
doctorat began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 , Pocketbook InkPad 2
Finally on Amazon's site the latest update for Paperwhite 3 is 5.10.2.
doctorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #55
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I don't like it that you now need an extra tap to get to the Aa screen. Why not a separate Aa button and Theme selection drop down button.

Is it my imagination or did the smallest margin get bigger, wasting even more space?

Also I remember seeing somewhere an ignore publisher's font option?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #56
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I don't like it that you now need an extra tap to get to the Aa screen. Why not a separate Aa button and Theme selection drop down button.

Is it my imagination or did the smallest margin get bigger, wasting even more space?

Also I remember seeing somewhere an ignore publisher's font option?
That bothered me too at first, but I don’t generally fiddle with fonts very much. The idea is you set up themes, and never have to go deeper in to text settings after that. If you never use themes then it is an extra tap to change something. I deleted the default themes and just have 3 of them (including one for Landscape). Occasionally I accidentally change size with pinch gesture; then I just select a theme to reset.

I do think they could improve the theme UI a little bit but I’m over being annoyed.

Most books do not have publisher’s font so there is no option to ignore it (though I don’t have example to confirm this notion).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #57
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
looks like there is a 5.10.2.1 for the paperwhite 2 - no mention of what is fixed though. that seems to be the only device with that version.
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #58
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD123 View Post
looks like there is a 5.10.2.1 for the paperwhite 2 - no mention of what is fixed though. that seems to be the only device with that version.
That's odd.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #59
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's odd.
I don't think Amazon usually mentions details for bug fixes.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #60
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I updated my Kindle Paperwhite to 5.10.2 last year. I understand that 5.10.2 was then withdrawn and now it's back. Is there something wrong with last year's 5.10.2 and do I need to do something?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote