Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
Hhvh
Hhvh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unhappy Kobo Forma vs Kindle Oasis 2. Limitations on connectivity?

Hello,
I was really happy with my PW2, but it has been stolen, so I'm about to buy a new one. I spend 2 hours reading every day, so I don't mind spending a little bit more money and improving my reading experience.

I liked the portability of PW2, but from comments in internet I've decided to buy a bigger screen. I own a Kindle DX myself, but I find it too heavy, and having low resolution and a very slow page turn. However, Oasis 2 and Kobo Forma seem to be much lighter and more compact.

I was about to buy an Oasis 2, when I saw in a video on Youtube that Kobo Forma has a much faster page turn: https://youtu.be/ATg9iLhj-Kg?t=108, and a pretty usable page flip.

This only feature could be enough for me to decide, but surfing the web I've found that kobo has serious limits regarding connectivity and highlight exportation, especially in:

-Importong personal documents in pdf, or epub via WIFI (in Kindle, sending them by email directly to the ebook. I know that it's possible to do it in Kobo via Calibre, but I find this procedure hasn't the simplicity of Kindle)

-Exporting highlights and annotations (in Kindle, transferring the myclippings.txt file to the computer, and even uploading it to www.myclippings.io to easily organize them by book)?

Am I right, or are there ways to bypass those limits? Is there anyone who has experienced both readers for a long time?

Thank you all

Last edited by Hhvh; 01-14-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Hhvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I switched from Kindle to Kobo a few months back and personally find sideloading via Calibre MUCH simpler than Kindle's "personal documents" email approach. Especially since Kindle doesn't treat "personal documents" as "books", making collections even more fiddly.Also, you mention sending epubs to Kindle, but Kindle doesn't accept epubs?

On the annotations issue, there are plugins for Calibre that let you export these from Kobo, if that helps.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I switched from Kindle to Kobo a few months back and personally find sideloading via Calibre MUCH simpler than Kindle's "personal documents" email approach. Especially since Kindle doesn't treat "personal documents" as "books", making collections even more fiddly.Also, you mention sending epubs to Kindle, but Kindle doesn't accept epubs?

On the annotations issue, there are plugins for Calibre that let you export these from Kobo, if that helps.
You can sideload books on Kindle from Calibre the same way that you can with Kobo. ONE of Kindle's problems, though is its indexing which *frequently* chokes when indexing books without bothering to mention it to the user. You can fix that by disabling indexing BUT it's a crappy work-around.

The other problem is that Amazon has gone out of their way to prevent users from automatically moving sideloaded books into collections.

I've both an Oasis 2 and a Forma. With a library of 7,000 books, it took me about 40 minutes to copy them to the Forma with Calibre ... all grouped nicely into collections. With the Oasis 2, I gave up after more than 20 hours when I had indexing enabled. Even after disabling indexing, it still took the Oasis 3+ hours ... and without collections, of course.

Amazon has a great bookstore and good hardware but their firmware is the absolute worst.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Outside of ecosystem +/-, a different perspective is build/hardware.

I personally moved from a Kobo Aura One -> Kindle Oasis 2. I was originally intending to buy the Forma, but after getting my hands on it at a local Chapters (Canada), I found it definitely matched the complaints in the Kobo Thread. Specifically, dark banding across the button-side, inconsistent lighting, a horribly mushy on/off button that's positioned poorly, and flex-y page-turn buttons. On the contrary, the Oasis 2 was rock-solid build quality, satisfying clicky buttons, and perfectly even lighting (on mine, others have reported different experiences though).

I personally well preferred the Kobo software - it's a small thing but I loved having my covers on the lockscreen, easy series organization, etc.. I also really enjoyed the ComfortLight, and some other features via patches (e.g., full-screen mode). Of note, I do find the inverted mode on the Kindle is a fantastic replacement for bedtime reading - different, but a solid alternative if you do a lot of night reading.

Overall though, since I personally notice hardware and find inconsistent lighting extremely distracting (and I had similar inconsistencies on my Aura One) I went with the Kindle Oasis 2 and find it a better choice - overall it 'disappears' when I read which is the best part.

That's my own experience, with the point being it might also be worth trying to get your hands on them to experience the hardware as well as the software.

Last edited by mgrimace; 01-18-2019 at 08:14 PM.
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connectivity, forma, kindle, kobo, oasis