Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
...I do mostly agree, though, with not interrupting a thread solely for a thank-you post, unless there's a special reason...
See, I have no compunction about replying with a thank you. It's not like the bargain threads are an ongoing conversation and most deals last a day or two, so it's not like people are combing through old pages for things they missed and will curse my clutter.

When I see someone post a thank you or even better, trigger a short conversation about a particular book, I feel like the person who mentioned the deal hit a homer.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #17
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
...even better, trigger a short conversation about a particular book, I feel like the person who mentioned the deal hit a homer.
Yes!

Quote:
When I see someone post a thank you.
meh...

Personal preference, I suspect
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
See, I have no compunction about replying with a thank you. It's not like the bargain threads are an ongoing conversation and most deals last a day or two, so it's not like people are combing through old pages for things they missed and will curse my clutter.
Makes sense to me.

I don't buy a lot of books (I mostly read library books) but I have bought a couple of things that were deals and posted a thank-you in the thread. I figure this lets the person who posted the deal know that it's worthwhile to keep at it.

I think people's comments can be useful, especially if they say they've read the book and it was great, or they've heard good things about the book, or they've already enjoyed other books by the author.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ok, brief karma note it is! I assume you posters check your karma notes more often than I do. I've found some months after it was left!

edit: um, yeah. Goes back and reads a year++ worth of karma notes. Oops!

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 01-10-2019 at 04:28 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #20
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ok, brief karma note it is! I assume you posters check your karma notes more often than I do. I've found some months after it was left!
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a karma note. Guess I'd better figure out where they go!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #21
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a karma note. Guess I'd better figure out where they go!
Top left of this page, click "User CP" (on the blue bar). Scroll down to the bottom of that page. I'll give you some now, so you know you got there.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Top left of this page, click "User CP" (on the blue bar). Scroll down to the bottom of that page. I'll give you some now, so you know you got there.
Thanks! I have occasionally sent karma to other people but never paid attention to what came to me.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #23
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Ahhh! Now I get it! Thanks for pointing this out. I went and looked at my karma and sure enough, folks have been leaving comments that I never knew existed.

I'd call this "karma" stuff equivalent to other forums "private messages", with the additional quality that "they are linked to a specific post you made". However, it looks like you can't directly respond to karma like you can to a private message. But you can send a "visitor message" to the person who sent you the karma, and I guess quote the karma in your visitor message for context. I apologize for not knowing this before, thus never seeing previous karma I have received.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 PM   #24
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Ahhh! Now I get it! Thanks for pointing this out. I went and looked at my karma and sure enough, folks have been leaving comments that I never knew existed.

I'd call this "karma" stuff equivalent to other forums "private messages", with the additional quality that "they are linked to a specific post you made". However, it looks like you can't directly respond to karma like you can to a private message. But you can send a "visitor message" to the person who sent you the karma, and I guess quote the karma in your visitor message for context. I apologize for not knowing this before, thus never seeing previous karma I have received.
At least I have not been alone in my ignorance
Old 01-11-2019, 01:50 AM   #25
bookmarked
Addict
bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Nexus 7, iPod Touch 4, HP TouchPad
The karma system is a pretty good concept and I try to remember to leave karma when I find a really good deal or other post, but keep in mind that people who access the forums using Tapatalk can't leave karma, read their karma notes, etc., at least in some versions.

Last edited by bookmarked; 01-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.
bookmarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thank you for that! I just spent a nice half hour reading people's comments on my post (and appreciating some of my own previous wit and wisdom)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #27
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for that! I just spent a nice half hour reading people's comments on my post (and appreciating some of my own previous wit and wisdom)
Yeah, me too (you notice I updated my post and said I'd read a year or more of comments!)

PS Haertig We also have Private Messages, so karma is additional. Private messages ping you when you go to a Mobile Read page, so one does notice them. (I'll try one to you, if I remember how to initiate one!)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I (at least some of the time) remember to say something in the thread about a given book. I'll try to remember more often in future.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote