Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #4801
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
What I hope is a salutary lesson for me:

Last month, I came across a reference to a book that sounded interesting and my kind of thing and since it was inexpensive, I bought it. The positives are that the price didn't create the want and that I am reading it now instead of letting it languish. But in fact, it's not that good. If I had stopped to think a bit longer I think I could have resisted, which would have been the better thing to do. Constant vigilance is called for.

On other fronts, after an (especially) August and September where I might consider myself to have overindulged somewhat, I haven't bought anything this month (knock wood) which should help my averages. My TBR is down 14 on the year which isn't great, but at least it's down. It's not a problem per se, but an issue that goes back to my DTB days is that library books with their due dates push owned books further down the pipeline.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #4802
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't know what to do. Perhaps I should prune my TBR again, to get rid of some of the dead wood from years ago. But there isn't much of that left.

As it is, my TBR has grown by 24 books this year. And the worst bit is, I can't think of any books that I really regret buying.

I think what's really bumped up my numbers are the 'Big Deals' from Amazon. When they offer several books in a series or by an author that I like, it seems foolish to pass them up. And there are many 'Big Deals' from previous years where I'm still enjoying making my way through the books. The series about Sharpe, Amelia Peabody and Gil Cunningham spring immediately to mind. I certainly don't regret those at all.

It's certainly good that I no longer make speculative purchases (just because of the offer), and I avoid 'free' books. But I'm not sure how to move towards TBR reduction now.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #4803
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

It's certainly good that I no longer make speculative purchases (just because of the offer), and I avoid 'free' books. But I'm not sure how to move towards TBR reduction now.
I know you're not asking for advice, but I'll opine anyway. One thing that helps is to stop looking; if you don't see it, you can't buy it. But you've largely resolved that anyway. Perhaps taking a hard look instead at your wishlist and pruning that? Then at least you wouldn't be getting ereaderiq notifications for books that are no longer as good as the ones you already own.

But really.... Watching the TBR should be a tool and not the end. It sounds as if you've mostly got it licked. You're comfortable with your outlay and you want everything you buy. All you can do is up your criteria at the margin in terms of how much you want a book. The only other thing I can think of is to ask how likely you are to read something in the next year (my own rule of thumb, imperfectly observed). If not, then let it go? You won't run out of things to read and there's always another sale.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #4804
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
and there's always another sale.
I think I must bear this in mind more when considering whether to buy. Certain some books seem to be on sale every other month.

And you may be right that I should not worry about the TBR growing a little, if I'm not buying foolishly. (At least, that's how I choose to interpret youR message!)
Old 10-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #4805
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I've managed to reduce my buying somewhat. Been resisting a lot of sales and putting those books on my wishlist instead. (either at Kobo or my library) Still buying though, bought a couple books this week, but I'm reading them right away. Got in the mood for some Harlequin romance. I enjoy the heck out of those...LOL So that's an improvement.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #4806
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I moved all my free ebooks to a separate Calibre library. I don't see them. They aren't bothering anyone. One problem solved.

My other concern is library books. They are so tempting but I shouldn't especially when I have so many must read purchases in my TBR pile. So I've weakly decided to read only cash items through the end of the year and hit up the borrows in January.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #4807
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Are you making any effort at all to acquire fewer books? Are you seriously trying to become more thoughtful about the books you get? If not, why are you posting here?

In the unlikely event you're really looking for help, delete the public domain books as DrNefario suggested. They'll be available if ever you feel like reading them.
You are being rude, very rude. Who are you to boss me around? I do not know you and never even seen you in the forums before. You are a total stranger to me.

I NEVER asked for help for there is no such thing as an ebook addiction. This is a joke thread where people talk about how they enjoy buying books and poke fun of themselves for it.

I only buy books when I have the money to do so, I aquire free books at other times for its a fun thing to do and i acquire free books on topics i have an interest in.

Last edited by HLS; 10-22-2018 at 08:32 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #4808
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Yes, and when you actually want to read them, you'll probably download a new version anyway, to get a version with fewer errors.

I'm probably going to have a clear-out myself before the end of the year, only keeping ones I've read.

About once a year or so I go thew my books and get rid of any books i have no longer an interest in. Especially magazines from old expired subscriptions. but I tend to only download books I want to make time for at one point or another. Most of the free books I pick up are educational in nature and read it here and there like a reference book
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #4809
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
About once a year or so I go thew my books and get rid of any books i have no longer an interest in. Especially magazines from old expired subscriptions. but I tend to only download books I want to make time for at one point or another. Most of the free books I pick up are educational in nature and read it here and there like a reference book
I did this at the beginning of the year and pared my TBR list down quite a bit. Can't say I've missed a single book I've deleted. I include DT books on my list and I'm planning to go through them and take the ones I'm pretty sure I'll never get around to reading over to a local Little Free Library. This forum has been very helpful for reining in my tendency to impulse buy. Thank you all.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:27 AM   #4810
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I NEVER asked for help for there is no such thing as an ebook addiction. This is a joke thread where people talk about how they enjoy buying books and poke fun of themselves for it.
While I admit that calling it an 'addiction' is just a bit of fun, this is actually a serious thread for people who wish to make the best use of their time and money when acquiring ebooks.

If it were a joke thread, I would have started it in the lounge and labelled it as such.

I currently have over 1,100 ebooks on my TBR pile. The vast majority of them are books that I've bought, although some are freebies or public domain. Clearly, buying and curating books that I'll (probably) never read is a waste of time and money.

By starting this thread and with the suggestions and advice of others, I have managed to make sure that the books that I buy and any freebies are books that I really will get to reading.

If you are happy with the number of books you're buying or getting as freebies, then this thread is not the place for you.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-23-2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: 'otherwise acquired' sounds a bit pirate-y, which wasn't my intention. Changed.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #4811
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
This thread is serious, and has been a significant factor in helping me (and others) get control of our eBook purchasing. While I agree with pdurrant that the "addiction" of the thread title is a bit of fun, the intent and result is serious. I, for one, appreciate the positive discussions here.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #4812
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'm not sure about no addiction for certain definitions of addiction (*). I've been addicted to the printed word since before I can remember. Ebooks are simply a lighter way to feed my habit as compared to my 2000 hardcover and bog alone knows how many paperback books. The only reason my TBR pile is pretty much non-existent is that I read a lot and I read fast.

(*) This since the definition of addiction I use at work involves rewarding effects (I do enjoy reading!) and adverse consequences which are hard to find in reading however other definitions do not force the adverse consequences and William Glasser has an interesting book about positive addictions (oddly, the book title as well).

Last edited by DNSB; 10-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #4813
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
While I admit that calling it an 'addiction' is just a bit of fun, this is actually a serious thread for people who wish to make the best use of their time and money when acquiring ebooks.

If it were a joke thread, I would have started it in the lounge and labelled it as such.

If you are happy with the number of books you're buying or getting as freebies, then this thread is not the place for you.
Thank you, Paul. I'd give you karma, but I need to spread a bit first. However, you are absolutely correct -- this is not a joke thread, and folks who seem to think it is would be best served by finding or starting a different thread. In the Lounge.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #4814
CRussel
(he/him/his)

And back to the purpose of this thread. I'm really struggling right now. I've got a new job which is both exciting and seriously stressful. This has cut down the amount of time I've got to read, while making me want to re-read old favourites. At the same time, the stress has me wanting to do a bit of 'retail therapy' by buying new ebooks. A bad combination, as my overall TBR is climbing at an alarming rate. This after a couple of years when I actually felt I was getting things under control -- reading more books than I was buying or borrowing from the library.

I've tried all my usual things to control eBook acquisition, but they seem to be falling short. And now we're coming into the holiday season when several favourite authors have new books planned for release.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #4815
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And back to the purpose of this thread. I'm really struggling right now. I've got a new job which is both exciting and seriously stressful. This has cut down the amount of time I've got to read, while making me want to re-read old favourites. At the same time, the stress has me wanting to do a bit of 'retail therapy' by buying new ebooks. A bad combination, as my overall TBR is climbing at an alarming rate. This after a couple of years when I actually felt I was getting things under control -- reading more books than I was buying or borrowing from the library.

I've tried all my usual things to control eBook acquisition, but they seem to be falling short. And now we're coming into the holiday season when several favourite authors have new books planned for release.
I too share your compulsion to re-read old favorites during times of stress. So I always keep Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes titles on all my ereaders.

And I share your attraction to 'retail therapy' -- one strategy that has worked for me is to put shortcuts on my desktop to those titles I'm tempted to buy, rather than click the buy button. Having them on my desktop reduces the impulse to buy them - esp. at full release price while in hardcover, and checking them periodically lets me delay clicking on that pesky buy button.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote