Notices

Old 10-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Connect Software (It's Crap)

Lovely lovely device..

But I'm sorry the connect software just sucks with a passion. (Is that plane enough..) I was chatting to Bob.R earlier about RSS support. I'm no IT newbie but I can't even figure out how to add an RSS stream.

I must admit I've only been playing for a few minutes.. But C'mon Sony.. You create sexy device and then expect us to settle for software like this...

pffffffffffffffttt I'm off to play some more.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Umm, you cannot add your own RSS feed, unless Sony adds it. That's not a bug, it's a feature

But take a look at Content subforum, there are at least 3 intermediate solutions listed there.

CONNECT software is still c..p though. It "dies" while you're trying to open or delete some files. It takes too much vertical space, so people couldn't see whole page on their screen. I'm sure there are more reasons. But for the first release it's OK

Last edited by Slava; 10-09-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
I have only been playing for about 30 mins now - I just had high expectations I guess. I also got bitten by 'Sony Connect' when I bought one of the HD Walkmans.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

Sony have never written good PC application software. Sonicstage is just as bad. I just wish they would give us the tools (ie decent memory card support and as many tech specs as possible)
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
It is making me cry. I have to restart it virtually everytime I delete an imported file or even the files that it came with. It's particularly frustrating considering that you have to use this darn thing to make BBeB books. I am going to try the Libre printer.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Connect software does not make BBeB books. It just indexes the files put into it and stores the info in the cache.xml file.

You may want to try reinstalling the software, Jane, it doesn't crash on me like that, and it shouldn't do it to you either. Something's not right there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I thought that when you "imported" a file, it converted it to BBeB format? No? I'll go ahead and try to reinstall. I wish that it had the option to automatically sync with the Reader. I keep forgetting to "import" and then to drag over to the reader. I am really trying to use this. Really, I am.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
I thought that when you "imported" a file, it converted it to BBeB format? No?
Definitely "No."

For a test, drag an RTF file that you've put in the library onto a memory card installed in the Reader, then pull the card and look at the contents -- mine all show as RTF's when I do this.

Quote:
I'll go ahead and try to reinstall. I wish that it had the option to automatically sync with the Reader. I keep forgetting to "import" and then to drag over to the reader. I am really trying to use this. Really, I am.
This is just one of the many wished for options for the Connect Software, I'm hoping that they'll have an updated version with more features pretty soon.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd want it to automagically put everything I import into the library onto my Reader. But then I like the collections feature a lot.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
Slava
Addict

Quote:
I wish that it had the option to automatically sync with the Reader. I keep forgetting to "import" and then to drag over to the reader.
You don't need it to import books first. You can drug them directly to the Reader.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:58 AM   #10
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
The first thing I did with the software was to try importing an RTF file to the library, the software crashed. I was hoping it would be a bit more "iTunes" like. It really is bad software.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:11 AM   #11
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Companies like Sony should follow the Web 2.0 examples that define computing today and release general accessible APIs to their Webstore. What do you think how fast people would come up with improved versions of the Connect Software... take Amazon's S3 service as an example.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #12
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Maybe I'm missing something in what you're describing but I haven't had any problem at all.

Admittedly the only thing I'm bothing to put on my Reader is .rtf and .txt files. and that has been simple and fast.

I just got to the directory containing the files on my hard drive. then Drag them to the Sony Reader entry in the left column. That's it. I'm not even sure what the Import function is supposed to do so I havent bothered with it. The Reader handels rtf and txt just fine so I'm happy with it.

BTW moving a PDF to it is the same process. Drag and drop on the Sony Reader entry in the left column.
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I haven't had any problems either, except when I tried to import a Librie file from ManyBooks, it gave an error but kept my file locked so I had to close the Connect program to delete it. (Haven't tried putting one on the SD card directly yet.)

At any rate, it's not full of bells and whistles, but it's been pretty solid for me so far at the basics. I just have to remember a few things to not mess myself up:
* When you drag it's a copy, not a move
* Everything has to either go on the SD card, or to the library first
* If you delete a book in the library, it is deleted from the collections also, but not the reader
* You can't do hierarchies (at least I don't think so). That's my biggest issue, especially with the library which sort of feels like a dumping ground.

My plan is to basically treat the reader as useful for managing onboard content for the Reader, but to handle my to-be-larger library of Sony book files independently on my computer.

I'll keep them under a SonyReaderBooks directory with main subdirectories for Bought, CameWith, OtherAcquired, ReFormatted, and then other layers for things like subjects or authors or unread,etc.

So what I'm saying is that it's obviously not fancy, but importing and moving books around seems to work fine for me, for BBeB, txt, rtf. (I also have not used many pdfs or Word files). And keeping my library in my own file system seems to be a reasonable way to handle the book files in mass.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 AM   #14
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Yeah, Connect really sucks. I tried adding an RSS feed just for a laugh, but all I get is "this feed is no longer available".
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #15
Slava
Addict

Wait till you see them