Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Clara HD cover/screen protection

I'm really enjoying using my Kobo Clara. It's so much better than my 2016 Oasis, and given the more limited direction Amazon is going regarding its Kindles it was time for me to get off the train. However, I was wondering whether people had some ideas about covers or screen protection?

I find that covers can make the device quite heavy. Also, the Kobo sleepcover doesn't appeal to me the way it is set up. Folding to the top rather than the side doesn't work for my hands. Also, the choice of after-market covers seems quite limited, but do you have any recommendations.

I was also wondering about getting some of those clear screen protectors that you stick on. I've heard they're a nightmare to put on without masses of bubbles etc, but If I could pair one of those with a grippier skin that could work.

Anyway, let me know what you think.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I bought this 3rd-party cover for my ClaraHD. However I bought mine from ebayUK not AmazonUK because, at the time (beginning of August), I wasn't sure that Amazon actually had any in stock. The ebay item arrived within a couple of days of ordering.

I have had no problems whatsoever with it. Here are some things you might find useful:
  • Whilst the front cover is reasonably rigid, the back "container" which holds and grips the ClaraHD is made of rubber (or silicon???) so is very flexible. This means it is very easy to take the cover on and off but there is no danger of the cover falling off accidentally.
  • Mine weighs 98g
  • As you can see, the 4 corners are slightly bulbous for extra protection if dropped.
  • Sleep magnet works well. It's located towards top left of screen, unlike previous Kobo models where it was towards bottom right of screen.
  • Closure magnet works well.
  • I have not had any problems with the sleep magnet accidentally triggering when the front cover is folded to the back.
  • The cutouts in the bottom frame for USB cable and power button are well-positioned and do not interfere with easy usage.

The only minor negative was that it was "a bit whiffy" when first unpacked. I solved this by leaving it by an open window for the rest of the day
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the very helpful response. I was thinking about getting that cover as it looked good, so thankyou. Good tip on the smell, I'll see how it is when it arrives. Thankyou again.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Most of the Clara HD cases at Amazon US appear to have a hard plastic backing, which is what my case for my Glo HD also has. Do you like the rubber/silicone back on your case?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:07 AM   #5
Waylander
Fanatic

I noticed that as well. If there was a case with a rubber/silicone back that would be great, but there doesn't seem to be one as yet.
Advert
Old 09-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Do you like the rubber/silicone back on your case?
Yes, I do. It's the main reason why I bought this particular model.

These 2 items, B07FX26Z98 and B07FT9QJ9G, appear on amazon.com for me, but as I'm in the UK I'm not sure this proves anything.

Based on the pictures, they both appear to be the same model as the one I bought, but only the first one specifically mentions "Soft TPU back cover".
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
Waylander
Fanatic

I have a blue version of the covers linked on Amazon. It's really nice to hold and has a sleep function which is good. All in all a good purchase, adding to the experience and giving peace of mind regarding protection.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Just got myself a Kobo Clara on sale for Black Friday and I ordered this case off amazon since I didn't like the look of the official one. Can't wait until I get it, looks nice!!

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FM43X6F/...709270_TE_item
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have one like that and it's nice, I've ordered this from AliExpress:

AliExpress Cover
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #11
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I have one like that and it's nice, I've ordered this from AliExpress:

AliExpress Cover
Think I saw those on amazon too only not as cheap. Pretty designs!
Old 11-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Think I saw those on amazon too only not as cheap. Pretty designs!
Yes, that's what I like. And I usually check this kind of thing at AliExpress too as the origin is the same (and, in Spain, it doesn't take a lot of time them to arrive).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #13
PurpleStar
Wizard

Wow, my new Clara HD sleep cover came today already and it’s soooo pretty! Also much less complicated than the official one from Kobo. I love it!

Last edited by PurpleStar; 11-24-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #14
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Here's an option that stands on its own:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...D03XU24Q&psc=1
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Here's an option that stands on its own:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...D03XU24Q&psc=1
I had a cover similar to that for my Aura One and didn't like it. Found it very cumbersome and made my Aura One about twice as thick as it was in the traditional book style or orgami cases options out there.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote