Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
Sbielkind
Sbielkind began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina E654
Icarus Illumina E654 Firmware

Hi everyone. I recently bought an Icarus Illumina E654 and because I like to have the newest updates installed and the OTA update function of the reader always stopped working - I searched for an update in the internet.
This I found - or so I thought - on the following site:
https://allesebook.de/software/icaru...y-zeit-973625/
That however proved to be for the Icarus Illumina E653 and now my touch-screen and buttons are not responding anymore.
Unfortunately I didn't back up the readers system before attempting the update - that's why I wanted to ask, whether someone could provide me with an appropriate update-file or a backup of their E653 reader firmware.
Thanks in advance!

PS: I also tried to contant Icarus-support, they however are on holiday for at least another weak now.
Sbielkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
Sbielkind
Sbielkind began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina E654
If I can motivate someone by writing down how to extract the system-"partition", I will try to do so:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254042

Here one can download the necessary drivers and programs , please see point "2- Using RK Tools".
Then turn off the E654, press and hold the right physical button pressed, plug in the usb-cable and when the charging Led turns on [red] let go of the right physical button. This should bring the reader into the bootloader-state.

Now install the drivers from the downloaded files for the new, unknown device.

After that the AndroidTool should find the reader [for a screenshot see above link]. Following this one can extract the parameter-section [Under Advanced Function write in "Start:" an "0x0" and in Count "0x2" and press ExportImage]. This will be in the Output-folder - rename it to parameter.text and open it with Notepad.

There should be some info similar to the following in this file:
0x00100000@0x00282000(system)
where the first ["0x00100000"] is the length of that section in hex and units of 512 Bytes [0x00100000 * 512 Byte = 512 MBytes]; the second number is the starting position ["0x00282000"] and the label in the end the respective name ["system"].
These numbers one will have to enter in the AndroidTool again [starting position in "Start:" and section length in "Count:"] and then one can export the system-image.

For further questions don't hesitate to ask. But please consider to read the respective Readme-files first.

PS: A word of caution - "download" in above tool is used for loading file from the PC to the reader, not the other way around. So don't use the first tab called "Download Image" unless you want to upload an image file again [previously one would have to write the correct addresses into the list].

Last edited by Sbielkind; 08-25-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Sbielkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:17 AM   #3
Trailhunter
Trailhunter began at the beginning.

Device: E654BK
Hello,
icarusreader.com isn't reachable anymore.
Do anyone have an alternative download for the recent update/firmware e654BK?
Tanks a lot
Jan
Trailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
dustwindbun
dustwindbun began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm looking for this too - or even better, something that will update this device to Android 4.4.2 or higher, so I can access my Nook books on it again. Anyone have any ideas on that?
dustwindbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Any news here? It seems there are a lot of people waiting for a working firmware backup for this device. I'm joining the waiting line too. Please help!
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:23 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally!
Got my hands on a working device (Skoobe edition) and copied firmware to my dead device.
It is working now. Firmware version is: v1.1.0-2017050610
Old 12-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
malgoska
malgoska began at the beginning.

Device: icarus e654bk
nhedgehog, could you please share the working firmware? The screen of my reader got partially unresponsive and I wonder if I can fix it by uploading some other version of firmware.
malgoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
nhedgehog
Guru

OK, but, since I made a backup of my device and don't have a regular update, I just want to be sure that you know what you are doing to prevent accidental bricking, so use it only, if the answer to all those questions is yes.
1) Do you know how to get the parameter.txt from your device and how does it look?
2) Do you know how to use RKAndroid Tool to make a backup of all partitions and how to write them back?
3) Did you succesfully backup the following partitions: Recovery, Kernel, Boot, System?

Backup is here:
https://yadi.sk/d/Vgti3uK47MF3TQ
One last time: Make a backup of the partitions you want to replace before everything else!
Old 12-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #9
nhedgehog
Guru

@malgoska:
Did the update help with the screen? Guess not but if so it would certainly be worth sharing the info.

Tags
e654, firmware, icarus, illumina, update