Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
ProfJim
ProfJim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD poor with PDFs

I have a Kobo Aura HD. I got it because of the larger size for these old eyes. I like a reader for just reading because of the long battery life and light weight. BUT... I read a lot of technical books that have diagrams and such. As far as I know PDF is the only reader format that will show the diagrams. This Kobo is terrible with PDFs. The page changes position every turn. It will shrink the page size on a whim.
Is there a reader format that will show the same as a PDF? If not is there a larger size reader that will handle PDFs the same as regular reader formats?
ProfJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Unless you are willing and able to buy the 13" Sony DPTS1, no ereaders are good for displaying technical PDF's. The better option for PDF's is a tablet.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
sb1370
Enthusiast
sb1370 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Install KOReader on it.
I saw it on a video and it was amazing!
sb1370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You could also try using k2pdfopt to resize the pages.
http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/
And use it with Koreader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
teotjunk
Connoisseur
teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
How good are the 10 inch ebook readers with pdfs?
teotjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2016, 02:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by teotjunk View Post
How good are the 10 inch ebook readers with pdfs?
The fundamental problem is that displaying complex PDFs requires lots of memory and a fast CPU. EInk devices generally have restricted memory and a relatively slow CPU, to optimise battery life. That's why tablets really are a much better choice for PDFs. I read all my fiction on a Kindle Voyage, but I read PDFs on my iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo aura hd, pdf