Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
How do I go from multiple libraries to one?

Before I knew about Virtual Libraries, I used multiple libraries. Now I want to consolidate all my books into the default library. (and because --with-library doesn't seem to work with 3.x portal).

I also don't normally use my default library so I also want to copy the settings from one of my other libraries.

Do I:
  1. Switch to secondary library and do an export.
  2. Switch to my default library and do an import.
  3. Delete secondary library from Calibre (and filesystem).

or
  1. Switch to secondary library and move all books to default library.
  2. Close calibre and copy metadata* files from secondary lib folder to default lib folder.
  3. Run calibre and delete secondary library from calibre (and filesystem).

The first option seems safer but requires 2x+ space temporarily.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Switch to second (third....) Select books (1 or More), richt click: Copy to Library (option) <Main one>
If (custom) fields don't exist, you will be asked what to do

That is it. Swich back
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Before I knew about Virtual Libraries, I used multiple libraries. Now I want to consolidate all my books into the default library. (and because --with-library doesn't seem to work with 3.x portal).

I also don't normally use my default library so I also want to copy the settings from one of my other libraries.

Do I:
  1. Switch to secondary library and do an export.
  2. Switch to my default library and do an import.
  3. Delete secondary library from Calibre (and filesystem).

or
  1. Switch to secondary library and move all books to default library.
  2. Close calibre and copy metadata* files from secondary lib folder to default lib folder.
  3. Run calibre and delete secondary library from calibre (and filesystem).

The first option seems safer but requires 2x+ space temporarily.
  1. Make a copy of all calibre libraries using the OS file manger, now point calibre to all the library copies you just made.**
  2. Make a new blank calibre library with all of the custom columns from all of your old libraries you intend to use.
  3. Go to your copy of your main library, do a select all, do a right click on a book and chose edit metadata in bulk add a tag--tag should be the name of the Virtual Library for these books--to all books in the library.
  4. In the library used in step 3 select all do a right click on a book and chose Copy to library, chose the library created in step one.
  5. Repeat steps 3-5 until finished.
  6. Now create your Virtual libraries using the tags form step 3. The easy way is to use tag manger click on the tag then click on virtual library, click on create virtual library, Enter Virtual Library Name, click apply.

bernie

** use copies in-case you make a mistake.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Looks like import/export is not allowed on calibre portable:
Quote:
ERROR: Cannot export/import: You are running calibre portable, all calibre data is already in the calibre portable folder. Export/import is unavailable.
despite I'm trying to do the export from a library that is NOT in the portable folder.

It is easy enough copying my books between libraries, but I wanted to use the import/export method because I want to also copy my library settings. Any way to do that without manually redoing all the settings?

Under "switch/create library...", what if for 'new location', I choose the location of the target library/default library (it's blank) with option 'move current library to new location'?
Update: tried it and it says:
Quote:
ERROR: Not empty: The folder *************\Calibre Library is not empty. Please choose an empty folder
Got it to work:
  1. Delete the target library via calibre.
  2. The metadata* files will still be in the 'deleted' library folder so delete those as well.
  3. Now use the move library move option. All my library books AND settings are moved.

Last edited by badbob001; 06-21-2017 at 03:29 PM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote