Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I would go through the CSS and delete each useless line there. Anything that is only adding a font, or repetitively setting the line-height, margins, default font-size, etc. can probably be deleted.

Once you have cleaned up the CSS, calibre's CSS cleanup tool (but not Sigil's, IIRC) will delete both unused CSS style rules, and do-nothing CSS styles in the text. Use this, and you will end up with just a bunch of:
Code:
<p><span>lorem ipsum</span> <span>lorem ipsum</span> <span>lorem ipsum</span> <span>lorem ipsum</span></p>
or something close, depending on how many styles you thought might actually be useful.

The final stage will be to use Diapealer's "Diaps Editing Toolbag" plugin for calibre, which has a tool to delete empty span tags (ones which have no style).

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-17-2015 at 02:45 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #17
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I would go through the CSS and delete each useless line there. Anything that is only adding a font, or repetitively setting the line-height, margins, default font-size, etc. can probably be deleted.

Once you have cleaned up the CSS, calibre's CSS cleanup tool (but not Sigil's, IIRC) will delete both unused CSS style rules, and do-nothing CSS styles in the text. Use this, and you will end up with just a bunch of:
Code:
<p><span>lorem ipsum</span> <span>lorem ipsum</span> <span>lorem ipsum</span> <span>lorem ipsum</span></p>
or something close, depending on how many styles you thought might actually be useful.

The final stage will be to use Diapealer's "Diaps Editing Toolbag" plugin for calibre, which has a tool to delete empty span tags (ones which have no style).
Nothing is in the css it is all in the html files itself.. each html has the class rules in it,and they are not the same in every html.
So a class or paragraph have not the same value in the next html, so it isn't that you can delete all of a certain class in all html files because in the next one it has other values..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Inline CSS is still CSS.

I am pretty sure calibre is smart enough to find those rules as well.

Thus my suggestion remains valid.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I don't use sigil but calibre editor, and you can clean something like that easily with diapdealer's plugin, removing all span/class/dict-007 (no regex needed, and it cares of beginning and end of span tag.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Terisa -- I know Diap's plugin can handle removing styled spans too, but I would personally prefer double-checking all styles before bulldozing over them.
Advert
Old 08-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd almost suggest returning the original epub to whence it came and buying a better version. It sounds like it's been through a lot PDF to epub conversion.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Who says there is a better version somewhere else?
Old 08-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Dear friends.
When I opened a commercial ebook that I bought (social DRM) I noticed the book is really slow.
So I looked to the code and that was terrible.. no way I can clean this by hand... is there software (I hope free because it is for only one book,until now) or an online tool that can clean it for me ??
Look at the spoiler for a example.
In real..this are only a couple of lines from the book...
Spoiler:

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">'Ik weet het,</span><span class="dlct-007">'</span> <span class="dlct-007">zei Ro zacht. 'Ik heb alles gezien</span><span class="dlct-007">. I</span><span class="dlct-007">k</span> <span class="dlct-007">zat onder de tafel verstopt</span><span class="dlct-007">.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Elena keek hem</span> <span class="dlct-007">verbijsterd</span> <span class="dlct-007">aan.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">'Mijn moeder zei dat ze mij een afkoelperiode wilde geven en dat ik dan wel weer redelijk zou worden. Ze stopte mij in een kamer</span><span class="dlct-007">,</span> <span class="dlct-007">maar ik kon ontsnappen</span><span class="dlct-007">.</span> <span class="dlct-007">Joxy</span><span class="dlct-007">,</span> <span class="dlct-007">mijn privé</span><span class="dlct-007">-</span> <span class="dlct-007">bediende heb ik kunnen overhalen en z</span><span class="dlct-007">ij</span> <span class="dlct-007">verstopte mij onder de trolley die ze naar de grote zaal bracht. Toen ik zag dat daar van alles stond te gebeuren besloot ik mij</span> <span class="dlct-007">onder tafel</span> <span class="dlct-007">te ver</span><span class="dlct-007">bergen</span><span class="dlct-007">. Ik heb alles gezien en nu kom ik je halen. We moeten weg hier. We moeten William en Charlotte bevrijden. Dat</span><span class="dlct-007">… wezen</span> <span class="dlct-007">is mijn moeder niet meer!'</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Elena knikte en ze schreef</span> <span class="dlct-007">opnieuw iets op het</span> <span class="dlct-007">papier.</span> <span class="dlct-007">'Wat wil je doen? Samis heeft nu de twee boeken. Alles en iedereen is hier aangepast, gekruist of gemaakt</span><span class="dlct-007">.</span> <span class="dlct-007">Greysdale is bewoond door zombies, Utopalta is half vergaan en Willowjinx is weg. Waar moeten we naartoe? Ik kan niets zo!' Elena</span> <span class="dlct-007">wees naar haar</span> <span class="dlct-007">keel.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">'Shit- ja!'</span> <span class="dlct-007">zei Ro net iets te hard</span><span class="dlct-007">. M</span><span class="dlct-007">eteen sloeg Elena een hand voor zijn mond.</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Ro haalde haar hand weg</span><span class="dlct-007">.</span> <span class="dlct-007">'Sorry,'</span> <span class="dlct-007">fluisterde hij</span><span class="dlct-007">. 'Ik weet het niet</span><span class="dlct-007">,</span> <span class="dlct-007">maar we moeten iets doen.'</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Met tegenzin schudde Elena haar hoofd. Ze pakte het papiertje en</span> <span class="dlct-007">schreef verder</span><span class="dlct-007">.</span> <span class="dlct-007">'We hebben alleen het huis in het bos over. Misschien dat de professor ons kan helpen. Aan de Codex Trias hebben we niets. Die is veilig bij Bia en Luxis. Hier</span> <span class="dlct-007">kunnen we niet</span> <span class="dlct-007">blijven.</span> <span class="dlct-007">We</span> <span class="dlct-007">moeten</span> <span class="dlct-007">William en Charlotte</span> <span class="dlct-007">bevrijden</span> <span class="dlct-007">en gaan dan naar het bos.'</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">'</span><span class="dlct-007">Goed plan</span><span class="dlct-007">,' fluisterde Ro</span><span class="dlct-007">.</span><span class="dlct-007">&nbsp;</span></p>

<p class="dlct-000"><span class="dlct-007">Elena pakte het papier en gooide het in de open haard. Ro</span> <span class="dlct-007">nam haar bij de</span> <span class="dlct-007">hand en trok haar door de deur waar hij vandaa</span><span class="dlct-007">n was gekomen</span><span class="dlct-007">. Ze kwam in een gelijksoortige kamer als die van haar alleen was het hier een stuk rommeliger.&nbsp;</span></p>
If you want to get rid of all those <span class="dlct-007"> then what you do is replace <span class="dlct-007"> with <span> and use the Modify ePub plugin (Calibre) to remove all of those empty spans.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:50 AM   #24
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Is it a novel? If so, maybe use calibre to conver it to for example txt with markdown and then back to epub. Or convert it to docx and use toxaris word add-in. Good luck, it really looks terrible.
The add-in can actually import an ePUB directly. No need to convert it first.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:29 AM   #25
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'd almost suggest returning the original epub to whence it came and buying a better version. It sounds like it's been through a lot PDF to epub conversion.
Found this inside:
/* Styles for document saved to a stream */
/* Generated by Aspose.Words for Java 11.11.0.0 */

So I know it is made by that Aspose.

*All other, I will try the suggestions for sure but until now the new version of Sigil (0.8.7.) does do a lot.
It is almost clean,but now left with a lot of blanc lines.
A lot of the <p class="dlct-000"> (from 000 till 972) contains margins like margin:12pt 0pt 3pt 5.5pt; but they are renumbered in every html so removing the values of margin:12pt 0pt 3pt 5.5pt; does help but also destroy whitespaces where they do belong.
So I am now trying to find html for html if there is one "dclt" that stands for a true paragraph so I can at least replace them for a </br> to maintain the real paragraphs,before removing them all.
If I remove all code for .css, rather in the html of as separate file, there is no way I can find and keep some of the original page lay-out.

For now the first part of the suggestion made by rubeus to use the search and replace with <span class="dlct-\d\d\d"> worked the most, then the auto repair of Sigil did the rest. Only there are now more then 100 different values for <p class="dlct-000">

As far as I know there is no "warranty" for an epub,it is coming from a small publisher, I can't ask a webshop "i want to buy this book,but can I see the code first" so if I buy it somewhere else it is no guarantee that I don't get exactly the same one.
For sure I want to try the plugin suggestions and cleanup but the internal editor works more different then the Sigil and I am used to that.
I do gonna use it but I try with Sigil first rather then to learn to use another editor.
Once I cleaned with Sigil I gonna import the "damaged" books into Calibre and start again there to see if it produces beter and work faster, so I do gonna use all the given options,because then I can learn it for future use.

*But I want to ask you kindly, for someone with my type of dislection, using 2 editors next to each other or learn to work with a new one is not so easy, that is why I use only one filemanager (Total commander) one mail program, one usenet program because if I am not i am overwhelmed by the new look and my brain will reset and I have only one year english lessons so sometimes I need a bit more then a oneliner,have some patient with me.
At the end, I could do 2 things,delete the books and say sorry to the girl,or give it to someone that will do it for me,but then..I will not learn.

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-18-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:34 AM   #26
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Found this inside:
/* Styles for document saved to a stream */
/* Generated by Aspose.Words for Java 11.11.0.0 */

So I know it is made by that Aspose.
That's what Phoenix Pick used to use.
Do an epub to epub conversion in calibre on the original epub, then clean up in sigil if you want (After the calibre conversion the book can be read at a reasonable speed in an ereader IIRC).
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #27
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
The latest Sigil Version 087 still has the tidy option available.
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #28
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubeus View Post
The latest Sigil Version 087 still has the tidy option available.
Not in tools... then they have hide it somewhere else,renamed it or it is lost with the translation.. It was always in the tools section..
The old way to use it, control-d, now results in a delete..

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-18-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #29
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
That's what Phoenix Pick used to use.
Do an epub to epub conversion in calibre on the original epub, then clean up in sigil if you want (After the calibre conversion the book can be read at a reasonable speed in an ereader IIRC).
Euw... An ePUB to ePUB conversion? Lets make the mess bigger...

Quote:
Not in tools... then they have hide it somewhere else,renamed it or it is lost with the translation.. It was always in the tools section..
The old way to use it, control-d, now results in a delete..
Anyway, the source of this book is a Word document that is converted to an ePUB via a Java program someone created and they used the Apose library to read/convert the Word document. The mess you see is not because of the conversion itself. This is a classic GIGO example and people who do not know how to use Word as it should....

Now, for Tidy in Sigil. Although I do not recommend it and advise to use extreme caution, it is still there, but not as 'standalone'.

Edit --> Preferences --> Clean Source --> HTML Tidy.

Again, use it at your own peril...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #30
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Euw... An ePUB to ePUB conversion? Lets make the mess bigger...

Anyway, the source of this book is a Word document that is converted to an ePUB via a Java program someone created and they used the Apose library to read/convert the Word document. The mess you see is not because of the conversion itself. This is a classic GIGO example and people who do not know how to use Word as it should....
Thats the selling company... well, I could mail them and tell them.. but I guess you and I know the answer
Quote:
Now, for Tidy in Sigil. Although I do not recommend it and advise to use extreme caution, it is still there, but not as 'standalone'.

Edit --> Preferences --> Clean Source --> HTML Tidy.

Again, use it at your own peril...
As I thought.. it dissapeared in the translation.. I think it must be the "html op orde brengen" option..
See Attachments. No wonder I could not find it... (if it is the right option..)
Thank you for pointing it out,or we would end in oneliners again
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-18 18_54_18-9789402131659_Lydia van  Houten - Het teken van drie stella maris.epub_ - Si.jpg
Views:	8977
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	141158