Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Help with dead K3?

Has anyone seen this with the K3 before?

I was reading happily. Turned it off. Tried to turn it back on 10 minutes later, and it wouldn't. This was on a trip, and the kindle had been fully charged the day before.

I tried plugging the kindle in to the wall, and the little orange light didn't come on. I left it plugged in overnight anyway, but no change in the morning.

Basically, the kindle looks completely like normal, sitting with the screen saver image on, but clicking the power-on button does nothing.

I've had this unit for close to a year with no problems.

I'm suspecting I'll have to return it to Amazon for servicing, but before I do was wondering if anyone has seen this behaviour before.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Have you tried a hard reset?

Push the power button over for about 15 seconds and then let it go. Then don't touch it for a couple of minutes. Sometimes it takes awhile but then the screen will flash and it will reboot from there.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Have you tried a hard reset?

Push the power button over for about 15 seconds and then let it go. Then don't touch it for a couple of minutes. Sometimes it takes awhile but then the screen will flash and it will reboot from there.
agreed.... if that fails then it may be the power button itself that is failing to register it has been "switched".
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks for the tips!

Strangely, the problem seems to have solved itself. I left the device plugged in all day, and came back and the green light was on indicating fully charged. It then happily turned on.

I can't explain this behaviour, particularly why the amber light didn't come on while charging. But I suspect it was out of battery. Which is worrying as it had been fully charged just a day before.

I'm hoping that this is not a late occurrence of the kindle-case-discharges-your-battery problem.

Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
my charging cord has a quirk that if it is not adjusted just "so", it doesn't charge all of the time. kind of like there is a loose connection in the charging port. if the light does not come on immediately, I gently manipulate it until there is a light.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
Baldrake
Connoisseur

Thanks KK. Yeah, mine does that too, and it wasn't the problem this time. A bit of a mystery. If it happens again, I'm going to be blaming the case.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I suppose it might be an idea to ring Kindle CS anyway and see if they are aware of a problem.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
my charging cord has a quirk that if it is not adjusted just "so", it doesn't charge all of the time. kind of like there is a loose connection in the charging port. if the light does not come on immediately, I gently manipulate it until there is a light.
Sounds like the wireing inside the cord is worn and is only touching part of the time when in a certain position. Same thing happened with my cell phone cord. A new cord might be the solution.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrake View Post
Has anyone seen this with the K3 before?

I was reading happily. Turned it off. Tried to turn it back on 10 minutes later, and it wouldn't. This was on a trip, and the kindle had been fully charged the day before.

I tried plugging the kindle in to the wall, and the little orange light didn't come on. I left it plugged in overnight anyway, but no change in the morning.

Basically, the kindle looks completely like normal, sitting with the screen saver image on, but clicking the power-on button does nothing.

I've had this unit for close to a year with no problems.

I'm suspecting I'll have to return it to Amazon for servicing, but before I do was wondering if anyone has seen this behaviour before.
Just a heads up - you wouldn't return it for "servicing" - you'd be sent a replacement and send this one back. And since you're close to being out of warranty, you might want to give Kindle Customer Service a call just to get on record that you've had the issue, even though it seems to be resolved. They're pretty good about working with you to keep you happy even once your warranty is up, but still, just sayin'.....
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I experienced something similar a few weeks ago when my wall charger (not the Kindle one) at work died. It had enough power to light up the orange light, but not enough to charge the battery. I then connected my Kindle to my computer and in a couple of hours it came back to life.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Baldrake
Connoisseur

All very good advice, thanks very much!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowseTheStacks View Post
Sounds like the wireing inside the cord is worn and is only touching part of the time when in a certain position. Same thing happened with my cell phone cord. A new cord might be the solution.
I had pretty much figured that was the issue and knew I would have to address it eventually. the decision was taken out of my paws as the new puppy woke me up a couple of days ago gnawing on my 'droid and the cord. 'droid is ok, the cord is replaced ;o)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
Jenniferjill70
Jenniferjill70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
abookreader,
Thank you so much. I googled my issue and this forum came up and your answer brought my Kindle back to life! We both thank you!
Jenniferjill70 is offline   Reply With Quote