Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Anyone miss paper books and browsing the physical bookstore?

Was going through my old collection of paperbacks and hardcover books yesterday. I remember when I bought many of them and the excitement I would get when I saw a new release of a book in a series or from a favorite author. I would see the new shiny covers at the bookstore and couldn't wait to begin a new adventure in my head. I was like a kid in a candy shop

Those days seem to be behind me now. I don't read as much anymore.(though I'm trying to remedy that) Don't browse the bookstore as much anymore. When I do want a new book i get it on my ereader.

I miss that rush at the bookstore.
I wanted to go down to the local bookstore yesterday and buy everything In paper that I haven't in the last ten years.lol

Last edited by Tony1988; 12-02-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes I meant bookstore.lol
Advert
Old 12-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Yes I meant bookstore.lol
Would you like me to report your post for a title fix?

In answer to the question, no because I still browse the book section of thrift stores.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Anyone miss paper books and browsing the physical bookstore?
No, 'cause I still do it. The only ebooks I buy are reference texts.

I only read paper books, mainly off remainder tables, from street side libraries, or used book shops. Once I've read a book I put it in a street side library; until they sprung up I'd leave them at bus stops, on park benches, sometimes give them to op (thrift) shops, or do swaps at second hand book shops.

One of my local shopping malls has a reading room with donated books, if you take a book you're expected to reciprocate by leaving a book, same as the street side libraries.

Gould's book shop may have to close, its one of Sydney's treasures

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:27 AM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Not really. I have a used book store that I manage to get to every once in a while. (Most of) the prices add to the nostalgia of the experience.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2017, 02:11 AM   #6
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Absolutely not! But if you still like this sort of thing, I'm happy that you still have plenty of opportunities to indulge.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:56 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Browsing bookstores searching for something new? Yes, perhaps. Paper books? Not at all.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:14 AM   #8
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Would you like me to report your post for a title fix?

In answer to the question, no because I still browse the book section of thrift stores.
If you could thanks.
I could only change the title within the thread.

I have a Barnes and Noble two miles from home that I like to go to once in a while and a couple smaller used book stores that I browse. I really should go to Barnes a bit more. I probably go there three or four times a year. Than of course there is the book sections In the big boxes but I rarely look at them.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:00 AM   #9
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@Tony. If you like the Barnes and Noble I suggest you visit it as much as possible in the near future. Indications are it may not be there much longer.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
What I miss most is the mission to acquire OOP books. I'd have long lists that I'd leave with likely proprietors and I'd haunt antiquarian book sales and stores. The rush when I'd finally, finally get something I'd been hunting for years, sometimes, was colossal.

Now? You go online to Addall or Powells or Abe, see everything that's out there on a specific title and if it's a price you're willing to pay, click and it's yours. It's not nearly so much fun, if a lot less work and time. And the reality is that I've got so used to the ease of ereading that I rarely read a paperbook now anyway.

And what also is gone is serendipity, the finding of a title that you hadn't known about until that minute and you just have to have it. There's a bit of that with ebooks on occasion, but it's much rarer and the titles aren't nearly so compelling, at least for me.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
Tony1988
Guru

Yeah, there were times when I would just go in looking for something to read. I would be flipping over books reading the back of them to get an idea if it would be interesting to me.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I find that browsing my local library provides all the pleasure of random browsing while catalogs, bargain sites, mailing lists, reading recommendations and the like provide me with plenty of opportunity to find books I didn't know about and now want to own. In fact judging by my unread list, I have had too many opportunities to find strange new books that I must now own.

So I don't particularly miss physical bookstores although I have fond memories of several.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I totally miss the browsing. However, I stopped reading long before I got an ereader because of vision loss. It was only because of the ereader that I was able to read again. I still go to Barnes & Noble for craft books. Most of the time though, it's in and out because I order stuff for pick up there. My browsing is online because I can READ IT there.

What I really miss browsing is Uncle Hugo's and Uncle Edgars (Hugo's specializes in Scifi and Edgars specializes in Thriller/mystery). I still go there a couple of times a year, but I struggle to read the back of the books. My sis makes up for it and buys $80 worth of books every time though. She still sticks with paperbacks and supplements with ereader.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I do. I'm allergic to dust and mildew, so used book stores are often problematic. There's one nearby, but I can only go in if they've left the doors and windows open.

Browsing really is easier in a physical bookstore. I've become more and more reliant on word of mouth recs, online or off, to find books that I might like. Digital browsing is simply slower and less likely to produce good results.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
I do. I'm allergic to dust and mildew, so used book stores are often problematic. There's one nearby, but I can only go in if they've left the doors and windows open.

Browsing really is easier in a physical bookstore. I've become more and more reliant on word of mouth recs, online or off, to find books that I might like. Digital browsing is simply slower and less likely to produce good results.
I pretty much quit going to physical bookstores and libraries since I can get new books on my reader without leaving home. However, I know what you mean about the browsing. In a physical store it's usually pretty easy to see how the store has books categorized. Within categories, you can easily skim past books you know you don't want. For example, if you already own all the books by author X____ , it's easy to see where his/her books end and the next author begins. Plus you can flip through a book and read random samples, rather than just whatever sample text got uploaded to a bookstore.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote