Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampmiller View Post
Here you go. Thanks for validating I'm not insane. Photo taken with an iPhone X and on my screen it's a perfect representation of what the Kindle screen looks like. I'm almost tempted to try and get it replaced based on your feedback and hope the next one is okay.
That is a bad screen. Return it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Here you go. Thanks for validating I'm not insane. Photo taken with an iPhone X and on my screen it's a perfect representation of what the Kindle screen looks like. I'm almost tempted to try and get it replaced based on your feedback and hope the next one is okay.
I think even HarryT should be able to see that and find it distracting.

The new Oasis is capable of being much better. See my thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292336
for examples over the full brightness range. There is a definite gradient, but unnoticeable by me without flipping or measuring. It is also very smooth, without the ripples in the Voyage. (My sympathies to anyone disturbed by the gradient on my Oasis screen, but I do wonder how you deal with ambient lighting, which is never completely uniform?)

I had hoped that Amazon had solved the device to device variation, but I guess not.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that murky background doesn't look at all normal to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #19
vampmiller
Enthusiast
vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kobo aura, kindle voyager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think even HarryT should be able to see that and find it distracting.

The new Oasis is capable of being much better. See my thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292336
for examples over the full brightness range. There is a definite gradient, but unnoticeable by me without flipping or measuring. It is also very smooth, without the ripples in the Voyage. (My sympathies to anyone disturbed by the gradient on my Oasis screen, but I do wonder how you deal with ambient lighting, which is never completely uniform?)

I had hoped that Amazon had solved the device to device variation, but I guess not.
Thanks for your response. I'd actually hunted down and looked at your pics before I posted and thought "I'd be 100% happy with that screen." Agree on wishing they had resolved the device to device variations. I'm feeling more energized to do a swap and hope the next one is "lucky". Thanks!
vampmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #20
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
even though i returned mine for small issues, it was much better than what your image showed... that is awful.

my light intensity was uniform, but there was a slight yellow hue on the thin side of the device that transitioned to a uniform creamy vanilla color towards the thicker side.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #21
vampmiller
Enthusiast
vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kobo aura, kindle voyager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that murky background doesn't look at all normal to me.
Returned it to the Amazon store here in Seattle. They said some gradient should be expected and it looks okay to them. They did let me return it without a quibble, but I didn't get a replacement.
vampmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:33 AM   #22
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Mine looks just as uneven (the tone is different, but I guess that's the pic). But it's the most uneven screen I have ever had on a Kindle and I think I had all of the models with lights, at some point or another.

My Oasis 2 is sitting in its box. Christmas present for someone I dislike. I am back to my Voyage. To be honest, it's not just the screen. I don't like the shape (bought an Oasis last year and gave it to my dad because I just didn't like the shape... but I figured I'd give the bigger screen a shot this year). I am also not a big fan of the metal back.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:46 AM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Returned it to the Amazon store here in Seattle. They said some gradient should be expected and it looks okay to them. They did let me return it without a quibble, but I didn't get a replacement.
Looks like a good way to lose a customer. Did they have any on display? I'm willing to bet they would have looked a lot better. I would have tried to get them to compare yours to another one.

Sorry it didn't work out better.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:58 AM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Mine looks just as uneven (the tone is different, but I guess that's the pic). But it's the most uneven screen I have ever had on a Kindle and I think I had all of the models with lights, at some point or another.

My Oasis 2 is sitting in its box. Christmas present for someone I dislike. I am back to my Voyage. To be honest, it's not just the screen. I don't like the shape (bought an Oasis last year and gave it to my dad because I just didn't like the shape... but I figured I'd give the bigger screen a shot this year). I am also not a big fan of the metal back.
My most uneven is the Voyage. The upper half of its screen is pinkish. The Oasis 2 is a lot more even, but still has some gradient. The color is nice too, no brown, pink, dark yellow or anything like that. My most even frontlit Kindle is the Oasis 1, however, it has slight light cones. So no perfect screen for me. But they're all good enough.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:24 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My most uneven is the Voyage. The upper half of its screen is pinkish. The Oasis 2 is a lot more even, but still has some gradient. The color is nice too, no brown, pink, dark yellow or anything like that. My most even frontlit Kindle is the Oasis 1, however, it has slight light cones. So no perfect screen for me. But they're all good enough.
And they're all far better than reading an unlit screen in poor light.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #26
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have two Paperwhites. I had a Voyage and got rid of it. I had two other Paperwhites. I got an Oasis 2 and returned it because cases aren't available. For me, the lighting on all were fine.

I thoroughly enjoy reading on my Kindles.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I got an Oasis 2 and returned it because cases aren't available.
Would you not buy a third-party case, Patrick? I count at least three different ones currently available (IVSO, MoKo and Fintie) and at least one protective sleeve.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #28
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
After returning 2 Voyages for uneven screens when they first came out I ended up with one with a near perfect screen. Recently it developed a pinhole of light and I bought a new one which is also near perfect. They both have great contrast, the best of any Kindles I've seen. I returned 2 original Oasis devices last year and returned the new version, all for uneven screens and cones of light and shadows on the originals. I've decided to stick with my Voyage which is perfect for me and not try another Oasis this year. Getting a good screen seems to be a matter of luck and returning is a pain. I did like the larger screen.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolja View Post
They both have great contrast, the best of any Kindles I've seen.
Yep, my Voyage has the best contrast too, of all my Kindles. Despite the uneven and blotchy screen. The blotches are not really visible in a normally lit room (my usual reading situation) and it's a joy to read.

The Oasis 2 actually has the worst contrast of the three (Voyage, Oasis 1 and 2). But with the new boldness options it's still very good and I like the larger screen. So I kept it and already finished a fat 700-pages book on it.

I guess I'm not awfully picky about screens. I notice the imperfections, but can live with them and still enjoy my Kindles. The screen must be really terrible before I would bother returning it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #30
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I actually pulled my Oasis 2 out of the box today to play with it a bit, mostly to check out the inverted mode. I liked it a lot, but, as soon as I inverted, I noticed two dead pixels in the middle of the screen. White pixels on a black background are VERY noticeable.

But now I am on the fence. I really don't like the shape, and the screen is unevenly lit. I hate the metal back of the unit. Well, hate is a strong word. But rubber was better.

But that inverted reading, white on black, is nice.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote