Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
Tlew
Tlew began at the beginning.

Device: Basic Kindle Touch
Special Offers ads questions

When one removes ads the normal way via Amazon, is a device made ad-free or is it the Amazon account that becomes ad-free. In other words, if a device is ad-free in Amazon's records, will it stay ad-free no matter to whom it is transferred and re-registered?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited by Tlew; 09-12-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Tlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Talking about blocking ads on Kindles is not allowed. I suggest you wipe your post and ask for the thread to be deleted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlew View Post
- - - - -
When one removes ads the normal way via Amazon, is a device made ad-free or is it the Amazon account that becomes ad-free. In other words, if a device is ad-free in Amazon's records, will it stay ad-free no matter to whom it is transferred and re-registered?

Both.
The special offers status is maintained on both the Kindle and in Amazon's database.
The copy @ Amazon is the controlling one.

The special offers status follows the device.

You should be able to change the special offers status on the "Manage Devices and Content" page of your Amazon account.
If not, contact Amazon customer service.

Note 1:
There might or might not be a fee required to remove the special offers.
It is Amazon's decision if a fee is required.

Note 2:
The fee is a one-way deal.
If you enable special offers on a device purchased without them, Amazon will not refund the fee that was included in the purchase price.

- - - -

As to the rest of your post, please read:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=200942

Last edited by knc1; 09-12-2017 at 10:07 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Tlew
Tlew began at the beginning.

Device: Basic Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Talking about blocking ads on Kindles is not allowed. I suggest you wipe your post and ask for the thread to be deleted.
I deleted my first, of two, questions.

It seems odd to me that all sorts of hacking, jailbreaking, and other things Amazon can't possibly like are allowed, but blocking ads is forbidden.
Tlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

It seems odd to me that all sorts of hacking, jailbreaking, and other things Amazon can't possibly like are allowed, but blocking ads is forbidden.
All the other things don't take revenue away from Amazon. Blocking the ads does. Hence why all the rest is allowed and blocking ads is not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

The offers are only on the device.
It should stay ad-free but I have never found the ads to be intrusive. It is specifically a screen saver and a half inch or so banner on the bottom of the home page. Nowhere else.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It is site policy not to interfere with Amazon's revenue stream.
It does not matter if Amazon likes anything else we do or not, the other things do not affect their revenue stream and hence they have no grounds to complain.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Special Offers ads questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is site policy not to interfere with Amazon's revenue stream.
It does not matter if Amazon likes anything else we do or not, the other things do not affect their revenue stream and hence they have no grounds to complain.

This. Plus the fact that circumventing the rules which you, Tlew, chose to abide by in order to get a special price is both insulting and unfair to those of us who paid the extra 20 bucks to avoid the ads the way the vendor intended.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
bigmac58
bigmac58 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi, brand new here and this is my first post. However, I did read online once that if you contact Amazon Customer Support via chat and ask them about removing the ads they'll usually do it for you for free. I tried it and it worked. No hacking, no jailbreaking and didn't interfere with their revenue stream since they did it for me for free.
bigmac58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
- - - -
Note 1:
There might or might not be a fee required to remove the special offers.
It is Amazon's decision if a fee is required.
- - - -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac58 View Post
Hi, brand new here and this is my first post. However, I did read online once that if you contact Amazon Customer Support via chat and ask them about removing the ads they'll usually do it for you for free. I tried it and it worked. No hacking, no jailbreaking and didn't interfere with their revenue stream since they did it for me for free.
Just because you read about it on-line does not make it a natural law (or even closely to true).
That is, as those legal service disclaimers read:
"Past results do not guarantee future results."

You haven't given enough details of the context of your request to even guess at why, in your case, they made the decision that they did.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think it's worth asking, if you're a 'good' customer.

They did it for free for me when I asked, and I was willing to pay - but they offered to remove them for free when I mentioned the ads before I could say so!

But I suspect that a new customer who bought the special offers device and immediately rang up customer service would find no willingness to remove the ads for free.

YMMV.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
bigmac58
bigmac58 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think it's worth asking, if you're a 'good' customer.

They did it for free for me when I asked, and I was willing to pay - but they offered to remove them for free when I mentioned the ads before I could say so!

But I suspect that a new customer who bought the special offers device and immediately rang up customer service would find no willingness to remove the ads for free.

YMMV.
Yes, I've owned the Paperwhite 2 for a couple years. Saw the post and decided to try it out. The ads didn't really bother me but I figured for 5 minutes of time I'd give it a shot. The worst they could say was "no".
bigmac58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac58 View Post
Yes, I've owned the Paperwhite 2 for a couple years. Saw the post and decided to try it out. The ads didn't really bother me but I figured for 5 minutes of time I'd give it a shot. The worst they could say was "no".
I've never seen an offer on my refurbed Paperwhite that wasn't directly related to ebook reading in the Amazon environment, so the promos ARE of some interest to me, overall. Plus, it has never interfered with my reading of books itself.

The $20 savings or so is worth it in my eyes, 20 bucks is 20 bucks that could go to books. Making the phone call to get rid of the offers, seems like a LOT of work! I mean, I've got to find my smartphone, find the number, dial the phone, talk to people, be NICE! Maybe tomorrow!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:14 AM   #14
Isamilis
Connoisseur
Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2015, Oasis, Paperwhite 2016
I have Paperwhite without special offer, and another with special offer but was disabled by Amazon. When I did factory reset, the 1st kindle still has no ads, but the 2nd one has ads (like it used to be) but the ads gone after the device registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I've never seen an offer on my refurbed Paperwhite that wasn't directly related to ebook reading in the Amazon environment, so the promos ARE of some interest to me, overall. Plus, it has never interfered with my reading of books itself.

The $20 savings or so is worth it in my eyes, 20 bucks is 20 bucks that could go to books. Making the phone call to get rid of the offers, seems like a LOT of work! I mean, I've got to find my smartphone, find the number, dial the phone, talk to people, be NICE! Maybe tomorrow!
Isamilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
gambr
gambr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All the other things don't take revenue away from Amazon. Blocking the ads does. Hence why all the rest is allowed and blocking ads is not.
Why several topics are related to DeDRM then? What you are saying is ridiculous!

Anyway, on Amazon web page they wrote the ads are only visible in standby: that's not true!!! Now they want me to pay for ads removal? They are just dishonest!
gambr is offline   Reply With Quote