Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 05-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #46
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Cross posting

FYI (from today's CNET Cheapskate blog)

Quote:
.... For a limited time, and while supplies last, Best Buy has the 1st-gen Motorola Moto G for $29.99 (plus tax and shipping). It's the Verizon model, but there's no contract required -- meaning you can use the phone without any service at all. Turn it into a dedicated music player, e-book reader, Roku or Chromecast remote, game system for the kids, or whatever. And if you want calls and text messaging, just use apps and Wi-Fi. $30!!
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #47
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm switching back and forth between a Volt and a Nokia 520. For some reason, the Audible books that I sent to the Nokia never showed in the app. So I'll listen on the Volt.

The reason I like using these phones (instead of my Sansa Clips) is because of the inline volume control on my Amazon ear buds.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm switching back and forth between a Volt and a Nokia 520. For some reason, the Audible books that I sent to the Nokia never showed in the app. So I'll listen on the Volt.

The reason I like using these phones (instead of my Sansa Clips) is because of the inline volume control on my Amazon ear buds.
My favorite aspect of using NCPs is that the various aubiobook apps let you bump up the speed without going all Alvin on you. I think most non-fiction benefits from moving along a little faster.

I still use my iPod Touch for this, too, but it's gen 4 and showing its age and the NCPs are so much cheaper than a new one.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #49
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I never noticed this before, but Overdrive books on my Volt now expire, even when wifi is OFF and airplane mode is ON. Coincidentally, my battery has been draining a lot faster, even when not in use. So annoying. My daughter's Volt has touch screen issues off and on. I also had to replace her battery.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #50
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
I never noticed this before, but Overdrive books on my Volt now expire, even when wifi is OFF and airplane mode is ON. Coincidentally, my battery has been draining a lot faster, even when not in use.
1. Download via the PC program and copy over the audiobook folder to the Volt, and play with a different Android player app.

2. Download via the Android OverDrive app on the Volt, copy the audiobook folder into another folder, and play with another player. That retains the ease of downloading directly on the Volt. That doesn't resolve the battery drain if it is caused by OverDrive waking too often, but you can fix that by returning the audiobook in OverDrive (if it allows that) once you've copied it elsewhere.

The above breaks the bargain you made with your library when it asks you to agree to delete at the end of the period.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #51
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My Volt's battery too has weaken. I don't think it has anything to do with overdrive.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #52
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My volt's battery too has weaken. I don't think it has anything to do with overdrive.

Sent from my XT1528
OMG so is mine. Before this, my daughter's Volt battery was draining too fast, but hers was used with a bad ESN, so I thought that had something to do with it. But now mine is draining too fast. I'm considering getting another battery.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Mine is on airplane mode. I suspect it's Google. I disabled all the apps I could but nothing has helped.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #54
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
My Volt's battery is still strong, though the reason is probably because I don't use it much. My Volt is activated on RingPlus, mobile data usually turned off, wi-fi and bluetooth on, and only 56 apps. I'm at 94% now and it says I have 56+ hours left.

The replacement battery is BL-64SH, going for around $10 on eBay for batteries listed as OEM.

Last edited by jj2me; 08-12-2016 at 09:39 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #55
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I've retired my daughter's Volt and given her mine. So I may be in the market for a good but cheap NCP on Black Friday. Though I use my NCP Windows Nokia 520. But I'd like an Android one.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I've retired my daughter's Volt and given her mine. So I may be in the market for a good but cheap NCP on Black Friday. Though I use my NCP Windows Nokia 520. But I'd like an Android one.
Inexpensive NCPs will be covered extensively in this year's BF thread. At $10 to $30 a pop, these phones are throwaways. So if you can get two years out of one, you've gotten far more than your money's worth from it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #57
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Inexpensive NCPs will be covered extensively in this year's BF thread. At $10 to $30 a pop, these phones are throwaways. So if you can get two years out of one, you've gotten far more than your money's worth from it.
I'm glad you'll be on the job. If I see one I like, I'll be sure to get two of them!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #58
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
My Volt sure gets a daily work out... 'specially on the days I'm off. Podcasts, TTS, and Audible keep me cleaning the house. LOL
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I'm glad you'll be on the job. If I see one I like, I'll be sure to get two of them!
I got two Moto E2s last year (one for a gift). I don't plan on replacing either of them this year because they're still working great. I'm shooting for a two-year shelf life before I go for an upgrade. At $5 a year, it doesn't get much better than that.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #60
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I got two Moto E2s last year (one for a gift). I don't plan on replacing either of them this year because they're still working great. I'm shooting for a two-year shelf life before I go for an upgrade. At $5 a year, it doesn't get much better than that.
Love the Moto e's. My wife has the newer model, working great for her. I just retired my 1st gen Moto e as a phone, and will be using it as a music player and for backup phone VOIP calling. I retired it for a phone with a bigger screen and more memory. But that phone is a champ, served me well. Only thing I didn't like is on board storage just 4 gb, but replaceable battery and sd card slot on it. You can pick up a fist gen Moto e Tracfone for $20 at either Amazon or Ebay.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote