Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-04-2021, 07:05 AM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
Not to be pessimistic or anything (okay, I am pessimistic), but looking at Pocketbook's history of firmware updates, a new release is probably months away. And the 5.x series of firmware is unsupported, so I don't think any new release is likely there.
This is a pretty big issue. I sure hope they send out fixes for 5.x software. My Touch HD3 has 6.x but I wouldn't happy if PocketBook just dropped the ball on this for perfectly good readers. This fix shouldn't be hard, should it? It seems like it's just a matter of a certificate.

I sent another email to PocketBook support. Hopefully there will be some kind of concrete response.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #32
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
This fix shouldn't be hard, should it? It seems like it's just a matter of a certificate.
A certificate and a new binary of openssl, maybe.
If someone volunteers....
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-for-arm-linux
https://documentation.unified-automa...LXCompile.html

Last edited by EastEriq; 11-04-2021 at 11:25 AM.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well "soon" has morphed into "sometime around the end of the year... maybe." Here's the email (verbatim)...

Quote:
We expect the new software for your model to be released till the end of the year. However, the exact date of the release is unforunately unknown.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.
It was nice of them to thank me, but I really don't quite understand.

EDIT: Still works for books from ePub sellers, like ebooks.com, FeedBooks and Kobo, so I guess it could be worse. But, if this is effecting you, I would write to them specifically asking when your particular model is going to get the fix. Maybe that will spur them along a little.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-04-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #34
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
So this thread explains why my Overdrive suddenly stopped working on my Pocketbook Touch HD3.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
So this thread explains why my Overdrive suddenly stopped working on my Pocketbook Touch HD3.
Yes, unfortunately. I think Overdrive requires a newer certificate of some kind. I know that the Nook had issues with Overdrive books (fixed with a release specifically for fixing Overdrive) and that Kobo quit working on Overdrive for a day or two and that was somehow fixed (must have been at a server level because I don't think there were any device updates for it). Apparently Tolino anticipated the issue because release 14.2.0 came out before the Overdrive change and (as far as I know) the Tolinos never quit working. PocketBook also fixed it for the InkPad 3 in a recent firmware update but they seem to feel no urgency at all to fix it for the majority of their eReaders. This is one of the main reasons I bought a PocketBook (both for Overdrive and for the ability to work with .ascm files from online eBook stores — the second part, from stores, still works). Since I use Linux Calibre's, new plugin (DeASCM) which came out just at the right time I have that option now (since I've never been able to get ADE to work in Wine) — it allows me to download ePubs (with DRM) and then DeDRM does the rest. But I would rather be able to just directly borrow books on the PocketBook, which had become my "norm" for Overdrive.

Sorry to ramble.
Advert
Old 11-04-2021, 07:24 PM   #36
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yes, unfortunately. I think Overdrive requires a newer certificate of some kind. I know that the Nook had issues with Overdrive books (fixed with a release specifically for fixing Overdrive) and that Kobo quit working on Overdrive for a day or two and that was somehow fixed (must have been at a server level because I don't think there were any device updates for it). Apparently Tolino anticipated the issue because release 14.2.0 came out before the Overdrive change and (as far as I know) the Tolinos never quit working. PocketBook also fixed it for the InkPad 3 in a recent firmware update but they seem to feel no urgency at all to fix it for the majority of their eReaders. This is one of the main reasons I bought a PocketBook (both for Overdrive and for the ability to work with .ascm files from online eBook stores — the second part, from stores, still works). Since I use Linux Calibre's, new plugin (DeASCM) which came out just at the right time I have that option now (since I've never been able to get ADE to work in Wine) — it allows me to download ePubs (with DRM) and then DeDRM does the rest. But I would rather be able to just directly borrow books on the PocketBook, which had become my "norm" for Overdrive.

Sorry to ramble.
Yep, that's what I do, I directly borrow books, and this suddenly stopped working and I couldn't figure out why. I went back to one of my Kobos, although I prefer the Pocketbook for Overdrive books. Hopefully they resolve it for the older models soon.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:45 AM   #37
teriyake
teriyake began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook touch HD3
I going to write to PB customer service again just to maybe create an trail of requests (no idea how the prioritizing works). . It really really sucks...I got the e-reader also for being on the road and on holidays, and not borrowing directly really is a no-go. If this goes on for longer I will have to get another brand.
teriyake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #38
teriyake

Got the same info like rcentros. Updates will be rolled out until the end of the year "in order". Whatever order they have...
I have borrowed a Tolino from my library, uh, that works but is huge and has a weird tactile response for me. Need to get used to it still.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:05 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyake View Post
Got the same info like rcentros. Updates will be rolled out until the end of the year "in order". Whatever order they have...
I have borrowed a Tolino from my library, uh, that works but is huge and has a weird tactile response for me. Need to get used to it still.
The latest email from PocketBook when I told them that Barnes & Noble released a Nook update specifically to fix their own Overdrive issue...

Quote:
The developing team arrives at decision of when the software update for each model will be released by themselves, we can not influence this. The software is developed and released for every model separately. We expect the new update to be released in the nearest future.
I'm going to respond by saying that the Overdrive issue should not be classified as an update, but as a fix for a defect. I doubt it will do much good, but this lack of urgency is frustrating. I'm also going to ask them to forward my email to the development team.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #40
kyrilson
Fanatic

Quote:
Is a Tolino the same thing as a Kobo?
Old 11-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Is a Tolino the same thing as a Kobo?
It works the same for borrowing books from Overdrive, as it has ADE built-in. But its browser doesn't seem to hold the password, like the PocketBook browser does. It also doesn't have anything like "Send-to-PocketBook" which is convenient. But you can either work through its slow browser or download the .ascm file on your computer and move it over to the Tolino via USB cable — it will download the book from there. I've tested it since the Overdrive issue with the PocketBooks started and it still worked. I'm guessing they anticipated the issue and incorporated the fix in their recently released 14.2.0 firmware.

(I'll try it again to make sure it still works.)

EDIT: Still works with Overdrive.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-10-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #42
teriyake

I am not at home now but recently followed up with PB. They sent me somewhat cryptic instructions (manual download an install) but it seems a firmware 6.5 is available for the touch HD 3.

In case there is no automatic update for your readers I am happy to share the instructions here on Wednesday when I am back home and tried it...
Old 12-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
In case there is no automatic update for your readers I am happy to share the instructions here on Wednesday when I am back home and tried it...
That would be great! Thank you. So far no auto-update and 6.5.x is not on the support page. I guess that could change, though, I'll edit this post if it does.

Again, thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #44
teriyake

YAAAAH. Worked. Update for U632.6.5.1121 solves the problem with the certification.

Link to zip file

I was told to unpack it onto the reader (main folder).
Then:
Press on/off
Press on/off together with forward/backward page buttons until it says "firmware updating" then follow instructions until the installation is complete.

Good luck and enjoy reading. I cannot wait to go back to my beloved pb after the tolino
Old 12-22-2021, 11:58 PM   #45
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
YAAAAH. Worked. Update for U632.6.5.1121 solves the problem with the certification.

Link to zip file

I was told to unpack it onto the reader (main folder).
Then:
Press on/off
Press on/off together with forward/backward page buttons until it says "firmware updating" then follow instructions until the installation is complete. ...
Tested on Overdrive. Works! Thanks for sharing this. Hopefully all PocketBooks will soon be restored to full working order.