Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-12-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Running Adobe Digital Editions on Linux

I rarely use Adobe Digital Editions. I run on Linux and have had a difficult time getting it to work on this OS under Wine. So I have it installed on an old Windows box for those rare occasions when I need it.

That old Windows box has now died and I don't intend to replace it.

So my question is, has anyone tried installing Windows in a virtual machine on a Linux box, then installing Abobe, and never activating Windows? It is perfectly legal to run an unactivated version of Windows forever (I checked), what is illegal is trying to activate it by nefarious means. Microsoft provides free downloads of Windows from their website.

For the rare occasions that I need Adobe, I would have no problem putting up with the Windows nag screens trying to get me to activate it. I never intend to use Windows again, save for this once every blue moon use of Adobe for about five minutes at a shot.

Has anyone tried this? Will unactivated Windows allow you to install and use Adobe Digital Editions? You could install Adobe during the first 30 days, as unactivated Windows is fully functional during that time. What I don't know, not having really used Windows for decades now, is will unactivated Windows allow you to run third party programs such as Adobe? I don't care if Windows nags me about running Adobe or anything, as long as it runs it eventually if I dismiss the nag screens.

Last edited by haertig; 03-12-2022 at 01:02 PM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:57 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I rarely use Adobe Digital Editions. I run on Linux and have had a difficult time getting it to work on this OS under Wine. So I have it installed on an old Windows box for those rare occasions when I need it.

That old Windows box has now died and I don't intent to replace it.

So my question is, has anyone tried installing Windows in a virtual machine on a Linux box, then installing Abobe, and never activating Windows? It is perfectly legal to run an unactivated version of Windows forever (I checked), what is illegal is trying to activate it by nefarious means. Microsoft provides free downloads of Windows from their website.

For the rare occasions that I need Adobe, I would have no problem putting up with the Windows nag screens trying to get me to activate it. I never intend to use Windows again, save for this once every blue moon use of Adobe for about five minutes at a shot.

Has anyone tried this? Will unactivated Windows allow you to install and use Adobe Digital Editions? You could install Adobe during the first 30 days, as unactivated Windows is fully functional during that time. What I don't know, not having really used Windows for decades now, is will unactivated Windows allow you to run third party programs such as Adobe? I don't care if Windows nags me about running Adobe or anything, as long as it runs it eventually if I dismiss the nag screens.
It should work. Not activating Windows just prevents a few things like changing the wallpaper and sound settings and the watermark that don't really matter for your use case.

Winetricks also has an Adobe ADE option for help installing various versions which may be worth checking out if you haven't tried it before. I have used it successfully in the past.

EDIT: To be clear I'm talking Windows 10/11. Older versions restrict more the further you go back.

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 03-12-2022 at 01:07 PM.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:39 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You may want to try out the ACSM import plugin for calibre. It downloads ADE books without the need to have the program installed.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:24 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Alternatively see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=340479

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:19 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

That old Windows box has now died and I don't intend to replace it. ...
I never could get Adobe to work under Wine. Instead of a virtual Windows machine, I would opt for the ACSM plugin for Calibre (as jhowell mentioned). Easy to set up and works well and no Windows or Wine needed.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:40 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I will try them all, and see which one works best for me.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:52 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:

That old Windows box has now died and I don't intend to replace it.

Yes That was my set up until the ACSM input plugin for calible was released.

It was a lot quicker and easier to do it that was than to run ADE under Wine.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:02 AM   #8
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I used to run ADE under Wine, but every now and then after an update, it stoped to work and required a bunch of energy to get it working again. Then I tried running Sony's software for it's ereaders (which include ADE-functionality) and it worked!

But now I use the acsm plugin. It's the best thing that happened in a long time!! :-)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I still use ADE with Wine, as a VM isn't an option for me. (I don't have a copy of Windows, and one area where VirtualBox on FreeBSD is lacking is USB support.) It works quite well.

I've been meaning to try out the (relatively) new ACSM plugin for Calibre though.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:34 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Another option is to buy a Tolino or PocketBook and let it deal with Adobe DRM for you. Just download the .ascm file and move it to the PB or Tolino. It will download the book from Adobe. PocketBook even has a "Send to Pocketbook" feature that let's you send your .ascm file directly to the PB device via email. But, be warned, if you buy a used PocketBook (one that did not get the upgrade to 6.5 (or above) firmware, Overdrive has some kind of issue and won't work, and (apparently) PocketBook isn't going to fix this for the non-current line. (This is an Overdrive-only issue, still works for bookstores, like eBooks.com, etc.) Tolino doesn't have this issue with Overdrive.

PocketBook and Tolino is how I handled Adobe DRM before the DeASCM Calibre plugin.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-13-2022 at 07:43 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #11
malyessarah7
malyessarah7 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I rarely use Adobe Digital Editions.I run on Linux and have had a difficult time getting it to work on this OS under Wine.

So I have it installed on an old Windows box for those rare occasions when I need it.

That old Windows box has now died and I don't intent to replace it.

So my question is, has anyone tried installing Windows in a virtual machine on a Linux box, then installing Abobe, and never activating Windows?

It is perfectly legal to run an unactivated version of Windows forever (I checked, what is illegal is trying to activate it by nefarious means.
Microsoft provides free downloads of Windows from their website.

For the rare occasions that I need Adobe, I would have no problem putting up with the Windows nag screens trying to get me to activate it.

I never intend to use Windows again, save for this once every blue moon use of Adobe for about five minutes at a shot.

Has anyone tried this? Will unactivated Windows allow you to install and use Adobe Digital Editions.

You could install Adobe during the first 30 days, as unactivated Windows is fully functional during that time.

What I don't know, not having really used Windows for decades now, is will unactivated Windows allow you to run third party programs such as Adobe.

I don't care if Windows nags me about running Adobe or anything, as long as it runs it eventually if I dismiss the nag screens.

The Heller Approach
malyessarah7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:04 AM   #12
Leseratte_10
Groupie
Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB Era, PB InkPad 3 Pro
Nowadays, an unactivated Windows has basically no restrictions at all. You might not be able to change the desktop background, and you'll have a "Windows isn't activated" watermark, but other than that, everything will be functional, so you should be able to install ADE in a Windows VM.

Though, as others have mentioned in this thread, maybe try my ACSM plugin first, that's a more reliable (and simpler) method compared to always having to boot a Windows VM.
Leseratte_10 is offline   Reply With Quote