Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
You talking about the Vox Day fiasco?
He might've been involved but this was well before the puppy wars.
It was an extended catfight over the essays in an SFWA publication. IIRC he was one of the contributors objected to but not the only one. Ran for months.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #62
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My understanding is critic went after the author (Tisdale) based on her twenty year old novel and the fact that the author (Tisdale) was now also the employer (Tisdale employed Sue Whathername).
Grimshaw is the apparent cause of the ruckus, being hired as acquisitions's editor at Tisdale's current company.

There was no issue until after Grimshaw surfaced there and got on twitter. Then they went after her, Tisdale, and the book. In that order, apparently.

Did you check this above?

http://teachmetonight.blogspot.com/2...nce-buyer.html

Quote:

Hi everybody, it's me, Suzan Tisdale and I decided to do a live video so that you could see my face, hear my tone of voice. Sometimes when we write things, you can write one sentence that can be taken twenty different ways by twenty different people and I want to try to avoid that. So this is regarding Sue Grimshaw and the little fiasco, I guess is what we could call it, that's going on regarding Sue. This all started because Sue liked a tweet by Diamond and Silk.
I'd quote more but it gets very political very fast.
Which is why it all smells of non-literary. A bad historical characterizarion doesn't by itself start a mess now watched on both sides of the Atlantic.

This is not about an author complaining about a review.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-04-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Advert
Old 01-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Grimshaw is the apparent cause of the ruckus, being hired as acquisitions's editor at Tisdale's company.

There was no issue until after she surfaced there and got on twitter. Then they went after her, Tisdale, and the book.

Honestly no. Because I realized I don't much care. I have no interest in romance and no interest in having an opinion on RWA, Tisdale, Grimshaw or Milan. That is a foreign country that can stay foreign.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #64
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
He might've been involved but this was well before the puppy wars.
It was an extended catfight over the essays in an SFWA publication. IIRC he was one of the contributors objected to but not the only one. Ran for months.
There's a good discussion to be had over Vox Day and the puppies. But I don't want to derail this thread any further.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #65
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There's a good discussion to be had over Vox Day and the puppies. But I don't want to derail this thread any further.
Me neither.
That's why I avoided mentioning them by name.
The RWA mess is heading into that territory, though.

As for the linked post, it's mostly background.
It doesn't really take sides and neither do I.

I do, however, notice that these catfights are getting more common, fiercer, and focused primarily around legacy midlisters, the people hurt the most by the "non-existent" ebook revolution that is diluting book sales numbers. In an industry under stress, everybody is on edge and publishing seems to be no exception.
Advert
Old 01-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #66
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
If these romance author fights ultimately contribute to fewer romance books polluting the "free ebook" search engines I use (ereaderiq and freebooksy), then I'll be happy! Those romance books really clog up the results - especially at freebooksy.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:18 PM   #67
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The way I look at it, there are two issues at play here: First there's Courtney Milan's comments, and then there's the RWA reaction.

For me, the latter is the real issue. First, the RWA President-Elect chooses to bypass the entire Ethics committee rather than simply asking Courtney Milan to recuse herself. Second, he sets up a secret committee that reports only to him and it's that committee that decides to expel Milan and ban her from holding office in future.

If those optics don't look shady to you... I really don't know what to say.

Damon Suede (the President-Elect) could have handled this a lot better simply by keeping the process out in the open rather than going straight to the Star Chamber approach.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #68
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Grimshaw is the apparent cause of the ruckus, being hired as acquisitions's editor at Tisdale's current company.

There was no issue until after Grimshaw surfaced there and got on twitter. Then they went after her, Tisdale, and the book. In that order, apparently.

http://teachmetonight.blogspot.com/2...nce-buyer.html

I'd quote more but it gets very political very fast.
Which is why it all smells of non-literary. A bad historical characterizarion doesn't by itself start a mess now watched on both sides of the Atlantic.

This is not about an author complaining about a review.

I did read it, and it's patently obvious that the bottom line is that it's not PC to be a conservative, or to "like" a tweet or video from anyone who's paid by Fox (in this case, two black women "Diamond and Silk."). That's the bottom line. I can find NO example, at all, of the woman being remotely "racist," other than being a Trump supporter and conservative. (Mods: yes, I know, this is about RWA, but evidence is evidence and lack of it is lack of it. I'm doing nothing but discussing the evidence in the case.)

Did anyone here--anyone at all--see anything other than that? (Happy to read anything with actual evidence of the alleged act, if it exists?) Because I don't. I see an accusation (I read the entire RWA submissions and everything that the RWA ethics committee reviewed as evidence, which consisted of screenshots of the "racist" liking the D&S tweets, a tweet from Trump and then, wait for it, accusations from other people that she WAS a racist, citing the "evidence" that yes, she liked those tweets), and then I see the RWA with their damned hair on fire taking wholly inappropriate action (and then reversing themselves) when they shouldn't have done a damned thing in the first place.

The egregiousness of what's happened here is horrific. This really is right out of 1984. Frankly, this level of ineptitude and the fact that an entity comprised of WRITERS would ignore the First Amendment like this is nauseating--they deserve to crash and burn for it.

What next? If someone applies to be an RWA member, will their social media be analyzed, first? Will they have to take a loyalty pledge or "purity test" so that only non-Conservatives need apply? Writers. WRITERS are doing this. OMG, just think about it.

/rant

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #69
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Please tone down the rhetoric; keep to the facts and maintain a neutral tone when discussing the issues. Thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #70
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

To be honest, the RWA was in an untenable position.
They couldn't deal with the complaint openly without starting a political fight and they couldn't ignore the complaints. They tried to deal with it privately and it still exploded on them.
It is simply public life in 2020. Absolutists and kneejerk reactions all over.
No measured thinking, no live and let live.

And it is not going to get any better.
This is an object lesson most of all, to get off the big "social media" platforms.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-04-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #71
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
To be honest, the RWA was in an untenable position.
They couldn't deal with the complaint openly without starting a political fight and they couldn't ignore the complaints. They tried to deal with it privately and it still exploded on them.
It is simply public life in 2020. Absolutists and kneejerk reactions all over.
No measured thinking, no live and let live.

And it is not going to get any better.
This is an object lesson most of all, to get off the big "social media" platforms.
Well, watching social media implode wouldn't hurt my feelings, either. It's done nothing but provide ridiculous weight to the opinions of the ill-informed and tweenagers. How could it possibly have gone in any other direction?

Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down.
-- Frederick Douglass

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:30 AM   #72
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, watching social media implode wouldn't hurt my feelings, either. It's done nothing but provide ridiculous weight to the opinions of the ill-informed and tweenagers. How could it possibly have gone in any other direction?

Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down.
-- Frederick Douglass

Hitch
Social media is very entertaining, if used responsibly. I don't use social media often, but when I do I expect to be entertained. The trick is not to live in it. Apparently some take social media serious, and not as a form of entertainment.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:23 AM   #73
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Social media is very entertaining, if used responsibly. I don't use social media often, but when I do I expect to be entertained. The trick is not to live in it. Apparently some take social media serious, and not as a form of entertainment.
It's pretty hard to expressed nuanced thoughts in 240 characters. I use facebook to keep in touch with family and friends, but other than that I tend to ignore social media. If I need to get my heart rate up, then I go exercise.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #74
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I don't think Yoko Ono would have any say in it, I mean, I don't think original artists have veto power over cover versions of songs. She certainly could loudly complain, but...
Assuming Yoko held the rights to John Lennon's estate, assuming John Lennon had copyright on the lyrics and the recording, wouldn't Yoko have some control?

I really don't know, but am interested in how it works.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #75
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The egregiousness of what's happened here is horrific. This really is right out of 1984. Frankly, this level of ineptitude and the fact that an entity comprised of WRITERS would ignore the First Amendment like this is nauseating--they deserve to crash and burn for it.

What next? If someone applies to be an RWA member, will their social media be analyzed, first? Will they have to take a loyalty pledge or "purity test" so that only non-Conservatives need apply? Writers. WRITERS are doing this. OMG, just think about it.

/rant
Now I'm baffled. I completely agree with your first paragraph above, but how do you get from that to the second paragraph? I mean, did you somehow fail to notice who used their freedom of speech to say what they meant, and who tried to force people with undesirable opinions out of RWA?

I'll recap:
  1. Donald Trump, Diamond and Silk, and others use their freedom of speech to write about (among other topics) concentration camps, ICE raids, and white supremacy.
  2. Grimshaw uses her freedom of speech to like some of those tweets.
  3. Davis uses her freedom of speech to write a book.
  4. Milan uses her freedom of speech to criticise Grimshaw's and Davis' speech, and to criticise Tisdale for employing them in positions where they serve as gatekeepers for what kind of romance gets purchased by Tisdale's publishing house.
  5. Tisdale and Davis lodges formal complaints with RWA against Milan's speech.
  6. RWA, directed by president-elect Damon Suede suspends Milan from RWA for a year, and bans her for lifetime from holding office in RWA.

How on earth to you get from that to being worried that conservatives are the ones at risk from being banned from RWA?
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote