Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly1234 View Post
I don't know about all the technical stall you're all talking about, but I am in the posession of a Tolino Shine 2 HD and I'm very happy with it.

I bought the Kobo Clara because I wouldn't have to convert my Kobo books to epub, and would be able to read them directly on the Kobo e-reader, but it seems a Kobo is way more complicated in use.
Especially if you upload more than 3 books by the same author.
Some books by one author are under his name, and of some authors, the books are split into more than one or two folders. How stupid and frustrating!
Sorry, but those problems are cause by you not fixing the metadata in the books. So, it is working exactly how you have told it to work. You have also been told how to fix this problem. I mean, all you have to do is correct the authors names and make them consistent across all the authors books, and by magic, when you send the books to the device they will have the same author.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, but those problems are cause by you not fixing the metadata in the books. So, it is working exactly how you have told it to work. You have also been told how to fix this problem. I mean, all you have to do is correct the authors names and make them consistent across all the authors books, and by magic, when you send the books to the device they will have the same author.
But it looks like Butterfly1234 was specifically saying he bought a Kobo so he wouldn't have to modify the KePubs or convert them to ePubs. (I bought the Kobo Clara because I wouldn't have to convert my Kobo books to epub, and would be able to read them directly on the Kobo e-reader...) If that's the case, then shouldn't it be Kobo's job to make the metadata in their eBooks consistent?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #33
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But it looks like Butterfly1234 was specifically saying he bought a Kobo so he wouldn't have to modify the KePubs or convert them to ePubs. (I bought the Kobo Clara because I wouldn't have to convert my Kobo books to epub, and would be able to read them directly on the Kobo e-reader...) If that's the case, then shouldn't it be Kobo's job to make the metadata in their eBooks consistent?
(Bolding mine)
No, that is the publishers job. And we all know what a stellar job they do of that!
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
(Bolding mine)
No, that is the publishers job. And we all know what a stellar job they do of that!
I agree that it is the publisher's job. I still see eBooks with some pretty rubbish metadata.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
(Bolding mine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I agree that it is the publisher's job. I still see eBooks with some pretty rubbish metadata.
I don't disagree, but isn't Kobo involved at some point when they "KePub" the ePub? Or does the publisher do that for them? — (I honestly don't know).
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #36
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I don't disagree, but isn't Kobo involved at some point when they "KePub" the ePub? Or does the publisher do that for them? — (I honestly don't know).
Doesn't matter. It's still the publisher's job to provide correct metadata.

It shouldn't be up to Kobo to guess whether Carter, Anderson refers to Anderson Carter or two authors with last names Carter and Anderson.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
AFAIK, Kobo uses an automated process for the epub => kepub conversion. As for the metadata, that comes from the publisher. GIGO is the phrase the comes to mind.

Yes, they could make it a more manual process. Are you willing to pay the extra costs?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:07 PM   #38
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Well, I learn something new every year. Good to know it's automated. I suspected, but like Rcentros, didn't know. Now I can speak authoritatively on the subject to the vast throngs I regularly interact with
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Butterfly1234's problem is with sideloaded books ("Especially if you upload more than 3 books by the same author.") And this post was the first time that books purchased from Kobo have been mentioned. Every other post has been explicitly about calibre and sideloaded books.

Kobo does have a role in the metadata management for the books they sell, but, as others have said, if they get rubbish from the publishers, there isn't much they can do.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Butterfly1234's problem is with sideloaded books ("Especially if you upload more than 3 books by the same author.") And this post was the first time that books purchased from Kobo have been mentioned. Every other post has been explicitly about calibre and sideloaded books.

Kobo does have a role in the metadata management for the books they sell, but, as others have said, if they get rubbish from the publishers, there isn't much they can do.
But the problem with Kobo is that if you buy an eBook from Kobo that has bad metadata and the publisher does fix the metadata and releases a new fixed version, downloading the eBook again gets you the same version instead of the new fixed version. So once you buy an eBook, that's the version you get even if it's updated/fixed no matter how many time you download it.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the problem with Kobo is that if you buy an eBook from Kobo that has bad metadata and the publisher does fix the metadata and releases a new fixed version, downloading the eBook again gets you the same version instead of the new fixed version. So once you buy an eBook, that's the version you get even if it's updated/fixed no matter how many time you download it.
That isn't my experience. I have plenty of cases where metadata, including the covers, has been updated. I mainly notice it for books downloaded directly to the device as I rarely redownload the epub versions of books. But, the ADE downloaded versions have been updated as well.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I may be wrong, but in the full context, it looks like Butterfly1234's issue was with Kobo books and having to convert them to ePub to read on his/her Tolino Shine 2 HD. That's why he/she bought the Clara, to avoid doing that with books purchased from Kobo.

Quoting from his/her original post on this subject...

Quote:
I don't know about all the technical stall you're all talking about, but I am in the posession of a Tolino Shine 2 HD and I'm very happy with it.

I bought the Kobo Clara because I wouldn't have to convert my Kobo books to epub, and would be able to read them directly on the Kobo e-reader, but it seems a Kobo is way more complicated in use.
I think by "upload" he/she meant downloading directly from Kobo. At least that's the way it appears in context.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:40 AM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I may be wrong, but in the full context, it looks like Butterfly1234's issue was with Kobo books and having to convert them to ePub to read on his/her Tolino Shine 2 HD. That's why he/she bought the Clara, to avoid doing that with books purchased from Kobo.

Quoting from his/her original post on this subject...

I think by "upload" he/she meant downloading directly from Kobo. At least that's the way it appears in context.
My comment was based on pretty much on every other post made by @Butterfly1234. I'm pretty sure that "upload" means sideloading. The other posts explicitly mention filenames of sideloaded books and calibre. The problem is they haven't cleaned up the metadata of the sideloaded books. Books with multiple authors are also mentioned. Kobo does get this right for downloaded books and the posts suggests the metadata in some sideloaded book is wrong.

Of course, I could be wrong as the description of the problem is so bad, that other than there being a metadata issue with the author, I can't be sure what the problem is.

Last edited by davidfor; 11-30-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That isn't my experience. I have plenty of cases where metadata, including the covers, has been updated. I mainly notice it for books downloaded directly to the device as I rarely redownload the epub versions of books. But, the ADE downloaded versions have been updated as well.
I just had a look at my Kobo library and yes, it does seem that now some books have been updated. But there are still a few issues. For one, there's no way to tell which books have been updated. Also, even though there are updates, they may not be the latest version. I just did a compare between a book from my Kobo library that was updated and the latest version from Overdrive and the version from Kobo was not the latest version.

What I want to know is that if I was to purchase this book, would I get the latest version or would i get the same version I downloaded?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #45
Wallace Lee
Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura second edition
I really hope those E-readers don't use no Kobo Hardware for tolino ALWAYS had a far better contrast than Kobo.

I own a Tolino vision 4HS and a Kobo libra both. Believe it or not, even with the screen zize difference reading comics is BETTER on the tolino 6'' screen rather than on kobo libra 6.7'' screen because of contrast. It's lilke the ink was extremely different and much more defined.

The lightining tuning is FAR better too on the Tolino.
On the libra, there are TONS of too red or too blue settings, and in the end I stop setting my light between two options only: too blue or too red.

On the other side, Tolino's lightning colour setting is much more faded and it makes much more sense.

Again, I do really hope Tolino didn't stop using it's former technology and it's just a matter of sizes and buttons.

Last edited by Wallace Lee; 12-02-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Wallace Lee is offline   Reply With Quote