Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #31
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
doble_post sorry

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-26-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #32
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
One day you'll have a phone that was made in the twenty-first century and it'll use USB C.
Hey, some of us are rather fond of our flip phones.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Hey, some of us are rather fond of our flip phones.
Landline rules! Those tiny toy phones are just that, toys fit for children, not serious adults!
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
One day you'll have a phone that was made in the twenty-first century and it'll use USB C.

Honestly, I don't care whether it's micro USB or USB C. I charge my reader before I go on vacation so taking an extra cord hasn't really been an issue. But sticking with micro makes what to many is outdated technology seem even more out of touch.

And there are real benefits to USB C. They're easier to plug-in, since there's no 'upside down' so people can worry less about breaking the USB ports. And USB C can charge faster.
I just bought a phone. it's made by Motorola, and doesn't have USB-C. It replaced a Samsung phone, which also didn't have USB-C.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #35
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
And USB C can charge faster.
Is it really down to the connector? I thought charging time was mostly limited by not wanting to overheat the battery (and thus shorten its life). I wonder if new batteries are less vulnerable that way?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2019, 12:49 AM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
And there are real benefits to USB C. They're easier to plug-in, since there's no 'upside down' so people can worry less about breaking the USB ports. And USB C can charge faster.
Minor nit. The cable that came with my Tolino epos is a USB A/USB micro B but both ends of the cable can be plugged in without worrying about which side goes up. I have since picked up several others .

As for charging faster? Only if the device and battery are capable of supporting higher charge rates. I have several USB-C connected devices that use the same 5V charging voltage/current (500ma-2000ma) as my older USB devices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:13 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Honestly, I don't care whether it's micro USB or USB C. I charge my reader before I go on vacation so taking an extra cord hasn't really been an issue. But sticking with micro makes what to many is outdated technology seem even more out of touch.

And there are a lot of USB-C cables that are not correctly made and can damage your device. You don't hear that from microUSB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:55 AM   #38
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
....what else besides color would be an upgrade???
Except for color displays, the radical changes will not be much, that's right.
Maybe a few things, everyone's preference as:

[For example] :
• Best screen protector / anti shock
• Battery of better quality.
• Audio-Book support. (The audio book business has grown quite a bit.)
• Bluetooth (transfer books, connected to headphones)
• Better body design reader. Although it does not fall under the properties of e-ink
• Upgrade from 2**ppi to 300ppi for some players 6 inches or more.
*I'd like to see a screen that doesn't leave fingerprints.

[More advanced E-INK technology] :
• Better Global_Reactivity, faster key response
• Ink with better contrast
* For example, the new "Kindle Oasis 3" seems very reactive to me.

Personally, I prefer a better optimized system. Because without it, it's all useless.
* I think just overall OS optimization, or supported formats today make the biggest difference. ("ePUB, audio books etc")

PS : Color E-INK at least for me is not interesting. If I wanted color equipment, I would buy SuperAmoled (or Ipad AIR 2019), not E-INK Note.
* Just for that authentic display of classic W/B paper I like the most on E-INK.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-27-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:30 AM   #39
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I really don't understand the appeal of audiobook support in a 6-8 inch device when the small device in almost everyone's pocket does this very well already; but each to their own. (I've also no interest in any battery change.)

I would like to see Bluetooth page turning as an accessibility feature, so it could be connected to a hand-, foot-, mouth- or voice-operated switch.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #40
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
I suspect you have that backwards.

The one on the left is micro USB. It has been the standard for years. As far as I know, all Kindles and Fire tablets use it.

The one on the right is the newer USB C. It is an oval shape that can be plugged in without worrying which end is up. So far, no Kindle, Kobo or Nook has used it. But other electronics are rapidly adopting it as the new standard.

Yes, I probably got the names backward

I'll just keep it simple so I can't mess it up: my phone, mp3 player, and all kindles currently charge on the same cord, so having the kindle take a different cord would just be a nuisance to me.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #41
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I really don't understand the appeal of audiobook support in a 6-8 inch device when the small device in almost everyone's pocket does this very well already; but each to their own.
I wonder if it's one of those things where there's something I don't realize, because I'm with you, a phone is more convenient for audio.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit. The cable that came with my Tolino epos is a USB A/USB micro B but both ends of the cable can be plugged in without worrying about which side goes up. I have since picked up several others.
I need to get some of those cords. Plugging in my micro USB devices, especially my Bluetooth speaker with the charging port in a funky place, is an exercise in frustration.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #43
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
I need to get some of those cords. Plugging in my micro USB devices, especially my Bluetooth speaker with the charging port in a funky place, is an exercise in frustration.
I dunno, the one on the Kobo Forma feels flimsy to me, like it could be easily broken. Whereas the USB C on my phone (and tablet) feels more solid.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I really don't understand the appeal of audiobook support in a 6-8 inch device when the small device in almost everyone's pocket does this very well already; but each to their own.
I agree. I don't see the appeal of using an e-ink device for audio unless it does immersive reading and as far as I know, none of them do.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I dunno, the one on the Kobo Forma feels flimsy to me, like it could be easily broken. Whereas the USB C on my phone (and tablet) feels more solid.
Sure. But unfortunately, I'm going off topic and talking about devices I already own, so I can't make them be USB C. I love my UE Roll speaker. But plugging it in to charge can be a challenge.