Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #16
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Loved "Tale of Two Cities" - still one of my favorites. Also loved Camus' "The Plague" But I love Camus in general... "The Stranger" is a long time favorite.

I'd put anything by Henry James on my list, and "Jane Eyre" - lord how I loathed that book.

Henry James is just tedious.. his paragraphs go on for pages!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I loved A Tale of Two Cities and Mark Twain and Jane Austen.. and War and Peace before it gets listed.

I never liked Adam Bede, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Uncle Tom's Cabin or How Green Was My Valley.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
goodellboy
goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX
I disliked Wuthering Heights, also. It was so overdramatic and the male characters were often crying their eyes out. It did not seem realistic to me. I really liked Madame Bovary, but the excellent translation that I lucked into reading may deserve a lot of the credit. All translations are definitely not created equal.

Last edited by goodellboy; 09-20-2009 at 05:04 PM.
goodellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Loved "Tale of Two Cities" - still one of my favorites. Also loved Camus' "The Plague" But I love Camus in general... "The Stranger" is a long time favorite.

I'd put anything by Henry James on my list, and "Jane Eyre" - lord how I loathed that book.

Henry James is just tedious.. his paragraphs go on for pages!
Ironically I enjoyed "Turn of the Screw."
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #20
goodellboy
goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX
I may have seen every movie/ballet/musical version of Turn of the Screw that exists -- I love the story that much. But I've never been able to get through the book. Henry James's writing is so dry. I love his buddy Edith Wharton, though.
goodellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #21
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Necromancer - William Gibson ( I know, I know it was after 1960 ... still...)
I had no idea that Gibson wrote that! Sounds dreadful. Perhaps you should try Neuromancer by Gibson, one of my absolute favorites!

I have to agree to a dislike of Tale Of Two cities, I mean

Quote:
It was a dark and stormy night, it was bright in the still of the night. It was raining with a gusty wind, it was calm with a dry bone aether. It was a time of sitcoms and buffoonery, it was a time of dramatic 6 part epics and medical dramas...
I mean, make up your mind Mr. Dickens! You can't have it both ways!

Thumbs down... way down.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #22
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I could not finish Tale of Two Cities. I just couldn't do it.
I finished it, but didn't like it.

And also Lord of The Rings
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A Passage to India is a rather dreadful book. It's just got nothing going for it. The characters are dull and wooden and wimpy. The setting is uninteresting. There is nothing really going on. And the only semi-likable character got killed off about 1/2 way through the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I had no idea that Gibson wrote that! Sounds dreadful. Perhaps you should try Neuromancer by Gibson, one of my absolute favorites!

I have to agree to a dislike of Tale Of Two cities, I mean

I mean, make up your mind Mr. Dickens! You can't have it both ways!

Thumbs down... way down.

Oops, sorry, guess that was a Freudian slip of sorts.
(I'll go edit it if I can).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #25
fiver
Enthusiast
fiver doesn't litterfiver doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
I loved A Tale of Two Cities and Mark Twain and Jane Austen.. and War and Peace before it gets listed.

I never liked Adam Bede, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Uncle Tom's Cabin or How Green Was My Valley.
I like Twain...just not Tom Sawyer. My favorite books are Life On the Mississippi and Joan of Arc - I remember being fascinated by both reading them outside of class in High School. There are still several major Twain novels I need to read though - I remember being underwhelmed by the collection Letters From the Earth though.

Regarding Camus...I'll probably revisit someday but I found The Stranger tedious also despite being a Cure fan One of my favorite plays is No Exit by Sartre though.

Michael
fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #26
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Yeah, I like Twain in general, didn't care as much for Tom Sawyer as I did Huckleberry Finn, a better book in my opinion. Didn't like Letters From the Earth. My favs are Life on the Mississippi, Innocents Abroad, Connecticut Yankee.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-29-2009 at 11:17 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
"Moby Dick" - obviously.

Did they have editors when that was published??
Agreed, and that's the very book that came to mind when I first saw the title of this thread. I found the endless chapters devoted to describing the various types of whales tiresome. I believe they're suppose to be some kind of allegory on social conditions or some such rubbish, but it just plain vexed me. The only reason I plowed through it was just to be able to say I had read it. War and Peace was long, but at least it was interesting; especially the parts speculating about how Napoleon might be the Antichrist (every generation has a candidate).

Reader's Digest could have done wonders with Melville.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-21-2009 at 03:05 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ulysses - Joyce
I only got about one tenth of the way through Ulysses before I gave up. Joyce obviously has an immense storehouse of fascinating and diverse information within his cranium, but the book reads as if it were written under the influence of LSD. It was interesting for a while, but I got tired of wondering where it was all going.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-21-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiver View Post
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - I know it's blasphemy to bring up any Twain but Huckleberry Finn is just worlds better than this book.
I liked Tom Sawyer, but you're right about Huckleberry Finn being worlds better; perhaps in part because it is still relevant. Despite the frequent use of that word, or maybe even because of it, Twain was able to deliver a powerful sermon on race without being "preachy." The gradual humanization of Jim from his first introduction as "Misses Watson's" property to "my friend" was flawless.

That being said, I'm not so sure children under a certain age are ready for it unless they can be made to understand what Twain is trying to convey.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-21-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #30
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
What's with all the Moby Dick hate? I was loving it a lot until I stumbled upon some Space Opera fiction.

I guess I could vouch Ulysses is an over hyped classic masterpiece, or maybe I'm just not intelligent enough to absorb the book. Apparently in the end it get's.... let's say, saucy?

Apparently the book made after Ulysses, Finnegan's Wake, is even more insanely complex. Can anyone vouch for that?

Last edited by Loose_Appeal; 09-21-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote