Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #481
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Not one specific book, but rather one specific author.

Tamora Pierce.

I've been reading and rereading her books for nearly eleven or twelve years now, and I'll never tire of them.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #482
gwhite
Connoisseur
gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If you like the Patrick O'Brian Series try The Richard Bolitho Series by Alexander Kent. Also The Horatio Hornblower Series by C. S. Forester is still a good read.
Apache
I have read the above but in my opinion they don't come close to O'Brian both in terms of historical detail and in the quality of the writing. I believe that the series in question was based on the life of Admiral Cochrane, a real life naval hero and a Scot.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #483
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey series. Until recently, I read the whole series every year and found something new every time. It's an amalgam of adventure, Naval history, 19th century manners and unchanging human nature and I regard it as a masterpiece.
I read the first three books. Life got in the way, and I never returned to the series. I recall feeling surprised by how much I enjoyed them.

A Sea of Words: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian was invaluable to me while reading.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #484
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
LotR, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Confederacy of Dunces. The first two I read when I was a kid and have read aloud to my children countless times, alternating with the Wilder books and various "childrens" classics. We just fininished a third reading of The Swiss Family Robinson.

Oh, and the Bible of course. You can't even get a good feel for that one until the third or fourth pass.
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #485
gwhite
Connoisseur
gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
I read the first three books. Life got in the way, and I never returned to the series. I recall feeling surprised by how much I enjoyed them.

A Sea of Words: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian was invaluable to me while reading.
Many thanks Kevin for the recommendation. I'm going to look for that.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #486
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I love the Harry Potter series, I can't wait to have them on my ereaders
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #487
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Three Musketeers (and everything else that follows) by Alexandre Dumas.

It was the first book I ever read, read it in 3 different languages (first in my native language, Russian, then in English and finally in French,) loved it every single time, and planning to re-read it again over the winter!
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #488
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If you like the Patrick O'Brian Series try The Richard Bolitho Series by Alexander Kent. Also The Horatio Hornblower Series by C. S. Forester is still a good read.
Apache
Yes, the Alexander Kent books are good, but sadly the official eBook versions are positively awful, at least the first couple. I actually returned the first one to Amazon and they gave me my money back. I wanted to re-read them, and I actually have them in dead tree versions, but was hoping to read them again on my Kindle. But the quality simply wasn't there.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #489
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, the Alexander Kent books are good, but sadly the official eBook versions are positively awful, at least the first couple. I actually returned the first one to Amazon and they gave me my money back. I wanted to re-read them, and I actually have them in dead tree versions, but was hoping to read them again on my Kindle. But the quality simply wasn't there.
Good to know. I have them in Paper too and was considering getting them for my Nook. Hopefully they will improve them and then I will get them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #490
JayScore
JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
1. The once and future king, T.H. White.
2. Hothouse, Brian Aldiss
3. A plague of demons, Keith Laumer.
4. Men, Martians and machines, Eric Frank Russel.
5. Little Fuzzy, H, Beam Piper.
6. The warlord chronicles, Bernard Cornwell.
7. East of Eden, John Steinbeck.
8. Bonfire of the vanities, Tom Wolfe.

1 and 6 are Arthurian stories, but universes apart. The once and future king is the "master" version from which Disney produced The sword in the stone, and others used likewise. Cornwell's trilogy shattered all that went before, and gave us a scheming, freely sexual Guenivere, a vain and thoroughly despicable Lancelot, and a berserker Arthur. Both are superb.

2, 3, 4, and 5 are just SF masterpieces, by SF masters, and each deals with important social situations, as well as being damn good pageturners, too.

7 and 8 you will recognise as US "classics". They are not here to gain me snob points. Growing up in England, we were fed the "classics". Most of my class (social not schoolroom) dismissed them, for good reason; they were written by the upper/middle classes for those same classes. The working classes were universally ignored - except maybe by P.G Wodehouse who clearly valued Jeeves, and certainly thought more of him than he did of Bertie and they had the added bonus of being very funny. They had absolutely nothing at all to do with us working class lads or lasses. Since maturing, I've re-examined them, and most are no better now than they were when I was at school. Some British classics, of course, are good reads, but those are mostly those which have also gained the title - "standards"; Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, Gulliver's travels. With no shame, I will say that Shakespeare leaves me cold, and while I can value Dickens, I can't read his stuff. English classics are for the most part old fashioned, wholly irrelevant to me and mine, deeply classist, and just poor reads; or, perhaps, just done to death and too familiar.

The two US classics named I obtained while living in Spain, and were chosen as the best of a bad lot - I must always have something to read or I get panicky, and of those available, at that time, in 2nd hand bookshops, these seemed the lesser rubbish (shelves of "bodice- rippers"). Both turned out to having nothing in common with English "classics". They are both superb reads, excellent yarns depicting their periods perfectly, and again, excellent pageturners. Following my discovery of these, about 12 years ago, I have relaxed my overall dislike of everything bearing the superlative, "classic", and give all such things a try. Mostly still disappointed by English stuff, but I no longer view the term, "classic" as derogatory; which is nice.

1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 go back about 40 years since I have been re-reading them every few years, and number 6 since the publication of the final part.

Others since have, or will, become regulars - those I keep and will re-read and re-read. Cornwell, obviously, Scarrow, Iggulden, Sidebottom and others I have read more than once, and will continue to read the lot again at the publication of the next in the series. I now truly fear that life may well be too short. (Interestingly - to me, at least, when younger, I read almost exclusively Science Fiction, and as I approach my closing years, historical fiction is my main sustenance.)

I'm just on the final part of Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove series, and that, too, is marked for future re-reads. Very similar to East of Eden. As far as English working class novels go, there aren't that many. We tend to laud the Eton\Oxford\Cambridge\left bank\celebrity authors, and apart from The ragged trousered philanthropist, I find it difficult to name suitable authors that fit. But, if you want everyday tales of poverty and working class life in Britain, and quality penmanship, Catherine Cookson's hard to beat. Yep, I said that, and stand by it. I don't wish to be seen as a rabid communist here. I have read and enjoyed Goodbye, Mr Chips, and To serve them all our days, and was a huge fan of the Jennings books - all set in public schools, but these few, to me, stand apart from the other pedestrian and separatist "classics" that formed almost all of English A level texts. Or, maybe it's just me.

Good question, apologies for the wandering.
JayScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #491
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Ed McBain, the whole 87th series was my "comfort reading" for many, many years (between the ages 15-45 or something like that). I haven't read any of them in quite few years now, but I probably will now that they are available as ebooks.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #492
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
The Hobbit, hands down my most oft-read book. First read it when I was 12-13, and I think the most years I've gone between readings is 5. Always brings me back to a special place from my childhood.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #493
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
I've read The Broken Sword (Poul Anderson) two times and I'm glad I have. The first time I thought it was good. The second, a few months ago, I thought it was brilliant.

I've read The Stars My Destination (Alfred Bester) only once, but I want to read it in the future. Robert Sheckley's books, particularly short story collections and Journey Beyond Tommorow are on my todo list as well.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #494
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
I've read The Stars My Destination (Alfred Bester) only once, but I want to read it in the future.
I finished reading that yesterday; I was not impressed. In fact, I rather wish I hadn't even picked it up.

The only books I've read multiple times are Frank Herbert's, in particular the Dune series and Soul Catcher (his only??? non science fiction novel).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #495
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS 350, Kobo Aura HD
I keep returning to a book I have about deja vu.
Andyp133 is offline   Reply With Quote