Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #46
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You're a braver man than I (I guess you'd have to be ); I have no idea (well, I have some idea *shudder*) how many unread books, physical and virtual, I have. I have no plans to put a definitive number to it. That said, I have a long-term plan to grapple with the unread paper books around here and not to buy any more! This last is part of my 2016 goals, so I've brought it around to topic.
I'm in agreement on buying no more paper books. And I'm doing very well at it. The only exceptions in the last two years are a couple of technical books (that I got someone to give me, so I guess that's not an exception), and a couple of cookbooks. I still much prefer to have my working recipe in paper form, so even if I only have the cookbook in eBook format, I print out the actual recipe to work from. My tablet does NOT go into the kitchen when I'm cooking.

I have resorted to getting a couple of DT books recently from the public library. They simply weren't available in eBook format. And in both cases, I was reminded that I really don't like reading DT books - I can't control the font size, for one thing.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I was reminded that I really don't like reading DT books - I can't control the font size, for one thing.
I don't either, which is part of the problem. There are books I'd like to read that aren't available as ebooks which I'd have to borrow through ILL* and frequently used copies are not very expensive, so I go ahead and order them. And then they sit, because I'd rather read ebooks. I'm finally internalizing the thought that I'll never be able to read everything I'd like, so I need to let acquiring more physical books go and read what I have. Put titles in a wishlist, if I must, and wait for the yen to decrease, if not vanish.

*I am very lucky that the university library here has most of the DTBs I'd like to read. If I know can pick it up on demand in town, there's not the compulsion to order my own copy. Fortunately! Otherwise I really would be in Collyer territory.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #48
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I set my goal too high at 200 books in 2015, anticipating that I would be reading a lot of YA and middle-grade books. That didn't happen and I had a lot of stress at the end of the year trying to meet the goal. So I'm aiming more modestly at 168 books -- 14 per month -- in 2016. I set the page goal at 50,000 to make sure that I don't make my book goal by reading lots of short books.

These are some secondary goals that I'm planning on pursuing.
1. Read at least $10 worth of books from Kindle Unlimited each month (that is ... get my money's worth)
2. Read at least 12 Newbery Award books. (Stretch goal: Complete all Newbery Award books for 2010-2016: 25 books through 2015, up to 5 more with 2016 awards)
3. Probably some kind of a "finish the series" challenge.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #49
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm in agreement on buying no more paper books...I have resorted to getting a couple of DT books recently from the public library. They simply weren't available in eBook format. And in both cases, I was reminded that I really don't like reading DT books - I can't control the font size, for one thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't either, which is part of the problem. There are books I'd like to read that aren't available as ebooks which I'd have to borrow through ILL* and frequently used copies are not very expensive, so I go ahead and order them.
Because I've been on a "don't buy any books" program for a couple of years, I've been getting my fix for new books from the library. If the book is available via Overdrive or Freading, I'll borrow the eBook. Otherwise, I get the DTB from the local library, the library consortium, or ILL. Newly published books aren't available from ILL or a consortium member until they are at least 6 months old. I do maintain a Kindle wishlist and friends and family know that they can make me happy by giving me Kindle books.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #50
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've got very little in the way of spare cash, and a Calibre library full of books unread, not to mention the dead tree books in my physical library, taking up an entire room in my tiny house. I haven't ever entered into challenges to read x books in a week/month/year and that's been a good thing, I think. I read as the mood takes me, and that's usually early morning and late evening, and this year, especially in the last 6 months, I have been managing to complete a book every couple of days. I haven't kept a list, and I wish I had, so from here on I am just going to use the completed indicators in Stanza to keep my records.

I've also got ebook and audiobook access at my local library, using an app called Borrowbox. It doesn't have much sci-fi (my favourite genre) but I was pleased to see a lot of Peter F Hamilton, so I'll get through those too, at some point.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My goal is to try to read more in 2016 than I did in 2015 I'm going to try to read twice as much if I can.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #52
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I don't buy paper books for myself anymore, but I have recently bought quite a few for my children. Most notably, I had to order a hard cover copy of The End by Charlie Higson from the UK for my son. My daughter and I will also be reading the series, but I would like the ebook version. Summer 2016 is when it will be released in the US, I think. I also have two paper books on pre-order for my son. Firelight by Kibuishi, Kazu and Legend of the Rift by Lerangis, Peter. My daughter will definitely read the Firelight book.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #53
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
I surpassed my 2015 goal which would usually mean that I would increase my 2016 goal but I am planning on preparing for a PhD next year, so I'll be reading journal articles and book chapters.

My 2016 goals:
- Read 60 books
- Include a rating for each book
- Ensure that I mostly only read books I already own but have not read

I moved all unread fiction books to a specific shelf in my house and I was shocked at how many I had, so time to start reading them. I also have several unread non-fiction books, but not as many.

And that's only my paperbooks! If I dared to look at how many unread books are on my Kobo, I might die of shock (although in my defence, I didn't purchase all of them myself).
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #54
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
2015 was the first year that I tried to define a reading goal. I did reach my main goal, but did not complete some of the sub-challenges. It make me realize how many more books I was accumulating than I was reading. Therefore, in 2016 I am trying to at least climb Mount TBR. I may define a list of TBR books to read this year.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:49 PM   #55
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
This year i would like to read 50 (managed 100 in 2015) have to reduce to 50 cos i am studying this year and alos want to remember to fill this in
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #56
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
This year i would like to read 50 (managed 100 in 2015) have to reduce to 50 cos i am studying this year and alos want to remember to fill this in
Do claim a spot in the list thread!

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-02-2016 at 05:14 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #57
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Smile Happy New Year Everyone!

My goal this year is to catch up with two of my book clubs over on GoodReads.

Including this month's selections from both groups, there are 97 books I've left unread between 2014 and now. I don't have a specific numeric goal in mind, but I think I'd be happy if I finish at least a quarter of them (24).

I have started my first book of the year, Stations of the Tide, which is the Science Fiction selection, this month, for the group Flights of Fantasy.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:15 AM   #58
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
We're now at 42 participants for 2016. Welcome everyone!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #59
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Do claim a spot in the list thread!
Will do now thank you
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My goal this year is to catch up with two of my book clubs over on GoodReads.

Including this month's selections from both groups, there are 97 books I've left unread between 2014 and now. I don't have a specific numeric goal in mind, but I think I'd be happy if I finish at least a quarter of them (24).

I have started my first book of the year, Stations of the Tide, which is the Science Fiction selection, this month, for the group Flights of Fantasy.
Good goals. I hope you hit them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote