Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #31
ElTorito
ElTorito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have some R.A. Salvatore I purchased from the Sony site.

Don
I had only searched for the Dark Elf Trilogy and Icewind Dale. I see his Demonwars series, but I've never read it. I've read nothing but reference books for the past five years, and want to revisit some old friends like Drizzt and Rand al'Thor.
ElTorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #32
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Why do you think it's illegal? Because they're so cheap?

PocketGear, as has been mentioned, does sell a lot of games and tools for PDAs and mobile phones.
What PocketGear is selling is an illegal copy and I'd be happy to see them shut down for it. Assuming or wanting it to be legal will not make it so. If you would like to find out if it is legal, look for a copyright in the ebook. You'll see it's missing (yes, I checked it out and then deleted the thing). The other way is to check with the publisher of the book, which I won't bother to do. If someone thinks they can buy a legal copy of such a popular series as LOTR at a place like PocketGear for a couple of bucks but not at place that has to uphold a reputation and avoid deep-pocket lawsuits like Amazon or Sony, then someone's not thinking.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #33
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
You may be right. But you're still guessing, even if they are educated guesses. There is no "official no-ebook-policy" that you can quote.
What bothers me is the absolute conviction you declare something being unlawful without being able to show facts.
The missing copyright does sound fishy, but still it's not enough, in my book, to accuse someone of warezing.

For what it's worth, I have no interest in any of the books by PocketGear.

Back To Topic: I want to see all books by F. Paul Wilson in ebook format. So far there's only (legal) versions of 2 or 3 of his Repairman Jack Series books available.

Last edited by mores; 05-04-2008 at 04:10 PM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
You may be right. But you're still guessing, even if they are educated guesses. There is no "official no-ebook-policy" that you can quote.
What bothers me is the absolute conviction you declare something being unlawful without being able to show facts.
The missing copyright does sound fishy, but still it's not enough, in my book, to accuse someone of warezing.
Well, the US publisher doesn't offer any of their titles as ebooks (except for a handful of PDF non-fiction titles they put out in early '05). The UK publisher doesn't do them either.

None of the regular ebook retailers (Amazon, Sony, Fictionwise, Books On Board, ebooks.com, eReader, Mobipocket) sell any Tolkien books and you can rest assured if there were legal versions out they'd be selling them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #35
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Silverlock - John Myers Myers.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I would like to see Winter's Tale, by Mark Helprin.

This is one of those magical books that comes along very infrequently.

I bought it in hardcover when it was released 25 years ago, in 1983.

If you're not familiar with this book and you enjoy magical realism, then you might want to give this book [NOT yet an ebook, unfortunately] a try.

Don

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #37
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I would like to see Winter's Tale, by Mark Helprin.

This is one of those magical books that comes along very infrequently...
Gleefully seconded.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:43 AM   #38
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Oooh I'd absolutely love some of Guy Gavriel Kay's older books--the only ones you can get in ebook format (that I can find) are his two most recent. But I'd love to get an ebook of The Lions of Al-Rassan or the Sarantine Mosaic.

I sort of feel like I could get going all day, but hey--one step at a time
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #39
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I saw an edition of Edgar Allen Poe poems and stories published in about 1960 that incorporated a lot of Aubrey Beardsley's work. The pictures, decorative graphics, and font choices added a lot to the text. It would probably work better on a larger screen like an Iliad than on a Sony or Kindle. I'd still like to get something like that though.

I'd also love to be able to buy Anne Rice's first four vampire chronicles (starting with Interview With the Vampire) in eBook form.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #40
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTorito View Post
And R.A. Salvatore
Welcome to the madness, here, ET!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #41
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I'd like to see the rest of James Doss' Shaman Series. They've released books 3,4,6,7. What the?????? Why not at least the first one?
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #42
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
More Stephen King. I love Stephen King, but only about 20 or so books of his are legally released as ebooks.

Why? He obviously likes the format, I read an article that he has a kindle and thought it was a pretty good device all in all.

What do publishers have against the format, if thats the hang up?

Do you not want my money? The expense of releasing ebooks can't be all that great. Significantly less than the printed versions.

Maybe its just too cutting edge, but I'm amazed by the fact that some but not all of authors works are in ebook format and the aversion to the format in general.

J.K. Rowling is probably loosing a hefty chunk of change from her decision not to release Harry Potter in ebook format, especially now with the Kindle making the format more mainstream. She said she writes her books in longhand and she is old fashioned or some bologna like that when asked about the subject.

Doesn't make sense at all.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #43
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The Wild Cards shared universe books --- esp. the last book in the second cycle which I missed purchasing.....

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #44
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I second, or third, whatever number we're on, the Dorothy L. Sayers e-books. I'd love to have the complete Lord Peter Wimsey, especially the ones with Harriet Vane. I have them all in paperback, but as Zelda said, I'm happy to make shelf room by replacing them with e-versions.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #45
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Shogun - James Clavell
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote