Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
marrco
Enthusiast
marrco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4
PW3 and fw 5.9.2 - Unable to run KUAL

I just updated my jailbroken pw3 to 5.9.2, and i get "Application Error - The selected application could not be started. Please Try again" as i click on KUAL

Jailbreak had survived many updates, last a few weeks ago to 5.8.11 but now I'm not able to run kual so I suppose there's an issue with 5.9.2 removing/disabling the jailbreak. Kindle works fine, but i'd like to have my screensavers hack back.

i tried to run https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4
and after an "update was successful" the reboot stopped on the "boy under the tree" screen "please wait a moment while you kindle is restarting".

So I went from a working un-jailbroken kindle to a bricked one.

holding the power button for about 15 seconds reboots to a diagnostic mode, where It can be usb mounted, and accessed. All docs seem to be present. Kindle is recognized and mounted under windows.

see: https://i.imgur.com/HBxZub1.png

so maybe all I need is to manually remove Coplate's package to reboot back to the non-jailbroken kindle state.

Or maybe I could just try to disable diagnostics and reboot. But I'm not confident with this MUSCAT_WFO - System Diags mode. A simple reboot without disabling diags first brings me back here. And I don't dare to disable diags because I'm not sure if holding the power button will bring me back again to this mode.

Can anyone give a suggestion here?

UPDATE:
I found a way out. After reading the diags logs (No update*.bin found; no update needed.) i decided to choose USB export and place the update*.bin on the root and then, keeping usb connected ejected kindle and choose from diags just to reboot. That did the magic and started a 'regular' software update. That booted back to Boy Under the Tree, then to diags, where i disabled diags, disconnected the kindle and rebooted.

now I have my kindle back, working again. With all my files and docs. So I'm back to start. Why did my jailbreak did not survive, and how can I get it again?

Last edited by marrco; 11-01-2017 at 07:17 AM.
marrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
MaxStirner
Connoisseur
MaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
I know this isn't of much help now, but to anyone interested - NOMAX update works fine

Last edited by MaxStirner; 11-01-2017 at 07:32 AM.
MaxStirner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
marrco
Enthusiast

@MaxStirner did you run the nomax update to a pw3 that lost jailbreak after updating to 5.9.2 ?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Nice report.
Maybe somebody will write it up as a procedure.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
KUAL isn't working on my 5.9.2 either, I think that may be the end of the booklet version of kual. The booklet jars have been removed from the system. No l9nger available at opt Amazon ebook booklet kindlet-booklet .jar

The install type KUAL should work, what the instruction say to do for the devices that had previously removed booklets

Last edited by coplate; 11-01-2017 at 09:10 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Which version of KUAL doesn't work: old (kindlet) or new (booklet, for KOA/KT3)?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Which version of KUAL doesn't work: old (kindlet) or new (booklet, for KOA/KT3)?
The azw file type is the on what stopped working (old)

My guess is the new one booklet? , that you install with the .bin for will work.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
marrco
Enthusiast

the old kual (KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 07.21.2016) document is not working

I copied Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install to mrpackages folder among the other packages (linkss, python etc) and searched for ;log mrpi

new kual was installed successfully. And I also have my screensavers back at the same time.

At the end jailbreak still survives on pw3 updating from 5.8.11 to 5.9.2 but kual (as all other extensions, like python, rescue pack, linkss) need to be reinstalled.

Just put the new kual .bin among the other .bin into mrpackages folder and from the home screen search for ;log mrpi and wait for a reboot.

That's it. My pw3 is now updated to 5.9.2 with my screensavers and kual working again.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by marrco; 11-01-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrco View Post
the old kual (KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 07.21.2016) document is not working

And I have no idea how to install the Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin via MRPI since that's a kual extension. I guess I should have done that before updating to 5.9.2 but now I have no idea
open the spoiler Important notice for KOA/KT3 owners in the first post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203326
Old 11-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
open the spoiler Important notice for KOA/KT3 owners in the first post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203326
Yeah, OP has PW3 though.

If people can help me clean up the wiki page, we can add the notes for 5.9.2 on PW# that they have to use this style too:

I created this just by copying the first post from knc1, but I don't have the drive to fix all the formatting.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak
Old 11-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I have been thinking of replacing the "Well it work on my firmware" section with a wikitable.
Rows - device (or first six of sn so we don't piss off JSWolf)
Columns - firmware version
Cell - link to section specific of directions.

but like the author - haven't gotten around to doing anything about it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:50 AM   #12
Dominique U
Dominique U began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kindle PW4
I have the same issue (KUAL does not start after update to 5.9.2, Kindle is a PW3). Unfortunately, the fix described in this thread does not work (or I have misunderstood it). My Kindle was jailbroken before the update. Help would be appreciated.

I have tried the following steps:

* I have copied Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin from KUAL-v2.7.zip into the mrpackages folder on my Kindle. Then I searched for ";log mrpi" but there was no reaction (no error message, I just see the home screen).

* I reinstalled MRInstaller by unzipping kual-mrinstaller-1.6.N.zip in the Kindle root. Then I retried the above. No avail.

* I tried to install the "hotfix". (I'm not sure what it does but I read that some older jailbreaks need it.): I placed Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin into the Kindle root. Then, when I open the menu to go to settings (even before I reach the update menu), I get a message that I have an invalid update file. After acknowledging that message, the update menu entry is grayed out (and the .bin file is gone).

I would be grateful about further tips what to try (or tips how to debug the situation).
Dominique U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #13
marrco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominique U View Post
I have the same issue (KUAL does not start after update to 5.9.2, Kindle is a PW3).

* I have copied Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin from KUAL-v2.7.zip into the mrpackages folder on my Kindle. Then I searched for ";log mrpi" but there was no reaction (no error message, I just see the home screen).
You have to search from the home screen. After typing
Code:
;log mrpi
exactely what did you do then? Wait or press enter on the keyboard or the right arrow (if memory helps) on the search window?

Last edited by marrco; 11-04-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
hius07
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominique U View Post
* I tried to install the "hotfix". (I'm not sure what it does but I read that some older jailbreaks need it.): I placed Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin into the Kindle root. Then, when I open the menu to go to settings (even before I reach the update menu), I get a message that I have an invalid update file. After acknowledging that message, the update menu entry is grayed out (and the .bin file is gone).

I would be grateful about further tips what to try (or tips how to debug the situation).
Try this hotfix:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68#post3562968
Old 11-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #15
Dominique U
Dominique U began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kindle PW4
Success

The nomax hotfix linked by hius07 installed successfully.
Thereafter I was able to use ";log mrpi" to install KUAL.
Now I have my own screensaver back and am happy!
Thanks a lot to marrco and hius07!
Dominique U is offline   Reply With Quote