Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #1
SameerKanade
SameerKanade began at the beginning.

Device: None
Urgent - Related to Sigil-0.9.18

Hi All, I just downloaded Sigil-0.9.18 however I cannot use it the way I am comfortably using version Sigil-0.9.10. For instance, I cannot open an already created EPub file into reading mode, when I click on File followed by clicinkg on the name of the EPub, it opens in the window in a "Developer Mode" but not regular mode, similarly if I want to copy paste any words or sentences from MS Word to the Sigil window, I am not able to do it. Where as in version 0.9.10 I am comfortably able to do all this. Please help me on this
SameerKanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...is-really-gone

From the 0.9.14 release notes:
Quote:
Sigil 0.9.14 will mark the last version that uses QtWebKit, and will be the last version to support editing in BookView. More here.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322736

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322699

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322570

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322774

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322525

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322370
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerKanade View Post
For instance, I cannot open an already created EPub file into reading mode, when I click on File followed by clicinkg on the name of the EPub, it opens in the window in a "Developer Mode" but not regular mode,
That old view was called "Book View". The developer mode you speak of is called "Code View".

Book View has been taken out, because it was very buggy... and it couldn't be salvaged any more.

If you want to get similar functionality to Book View, KevinH and Diap have created a different tool called PageEdit:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/PageEdit/releases

What you want to do is:

1. Download the latest version of PageEdit from the link above.

2. Double click the download and it will "extract a folder" called PageEdit.

3. Move that PageEdit folder to some location you'll remember. Like:

Code:
C:/Programs/PageEdit
4. Open Sigil, and go to Edit > Preferences > General Settings. At the very bottom, you should see a box that says "Set your preferred alternative external xhtml editor".

Press the Browse button, and go find that folder you put PageEdit in:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Step1-PageEdit.png
Views:	1033
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	173462

5. Select PageEdit.exe, and then you can press OK button and get back to Sigil.

6. Now, at the very top of Sigil, you'll see a little button that looks like a pencil writing on paper:

Name:	Step2-PageEdit.png
Views:	1328
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	173463

That will open up PageEdit, and now you can use that similar to how to used Book View. When you are done, be sure to X out of PageEdit, and all your changes will get pushed back to Sigil.

Note: PageEdit is also in some growing pains, so give it some time as Kevin and Diap are still working out the kinks.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-13-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You know...it's amazing how many of these people who are complaining about Book View being gone all only have 1 or 2 posts.... There can't be that many people out there who are totally clueless to blog etiquette (not searching for other threads), or that are going through the sign-up process JUST to post about BV being gone....

I'm thinking it has to be the same one or two people that are trolling...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be fair, I moved this thread from the Introduce Yourself forum. And though I left a redirection stub, I suspect there are some general MR navigation difficulties in play, here.
Advert
Old 09-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
There can't be that many people out there who are totally clueless to blog etiquette (not searching for other threads)
There are probably billions (literally) of such people - not sure how many would be using Sigil, but its probably more than we imagine.

I'm always amazed by people who install things they don't use or need. I'm the opposite, a LibLib (Less is Better, Least is Best), I only install what I need, and if I don't use something for a while I usually remove it - but I hang on to the installer.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Is there some reason we can't get a big honking Sticky at the top of the regular forum saying "BOOK VIEW IS GONE?"

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Is there some reason we can't get a big honking Sticky at the top of the regular forum saying "BOOK VIEW IS GONE?"
There's already a sticky. DiapDealer posted in it June: Where's Book View?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Not to mention the "Yes, Book View is Still Gone" wiki entry on github.

I've done my part. The words are in all of the places where eyes can easily behold them if they but look.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

People don't read the stickies, their main purpose is to facilitate responders posting "You need to read this ==>> blah blah" messages.

Maybe Sigil should have a Facebook page and a Twitter account, that's where most people get their information -- so we're told.

I attended the Sydney Writers Festival few months ago, a panel on disruption predicted, lamentably, that Discussion Forums, RSS, and Email will soon be regarded as quaint antiquities like Mailing Lists, Newsgroups, Gopher, and Wais.

BR
Old 09-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not to mention the "Yes, Book View is Still Gone" wiki entry on github.

I've done my part. The words are in all of the places where eyes can easily behold them if they but look.
Ahem - while looking for Facebook links, I stumbled into this

Name:	Annotation 2019-09-14 112513.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	173465

IMO the highlighted phrase could easily be taken to mean Sigil is a WYSIWYG editor. Almost nobody edits Word's Office Open XML or LibreOffice's Open Document XML directly.

And a little further down I saw this
  • Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Preview View
  • WYSIWYG editing in Book View
Sorry

Added: I stumbled into it when I clicked Sigil Website in Sigil(0.9.17)->Help

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-13-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

But as you so clearly noted: people don't read. So why would they see that? I'll remove it when I get time, but it won't help. The only thing that will help is time with no Book View.

I barely have time to work on Sigil, monitor the forums, edit the wiki, edit the manual, edit the website, so there's no way in hell there's going to be a Sigil Facebook page or Twitter Feed.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:55 AM   #13
User_Z
Connoisseur
User_Z began at the beginning.

Device: Computer, iPad
Quote:
I barely have time to work on Sigil, monitor the forums, edit the wiki, edit the manual, edit the website, so there's no way in hell there's going to be a Sigil Facebook page or Twitter Feed.
You need an assistant and a like-minded person.
User_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It might be argued that the support workload could be reduced by making the description of Sigil at https://sigil-ebook.com/about/ accurate (and informative about Book View and its replacement). Many queries could then be dealt with by simple redirection to the site.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
But as you so clearly noted: people don't read. So why would they see that? I'll remove it when I get time, but it won't help. The only thing that will help is time with no Book View.

NOBODY here agrees with you and that ("people don't read") than I, as you may know if you've ever read my (innumerable and interminably boring) rant posts about my customers.

But I wasn't really kidding about the big RED letters and all that. I have this very very vague (TAUTOLOGY ALERT!) VBulletin recollection that you could style stickies, if you were a mod, so that they would scream at people. Are we/you not able to do that here?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote