Old 06-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
jjk
Enthusiast
jjk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Kindle Vivlio-Inkpad3
Content import very very slow

Hi all
Sorry for my bad english.
I own a Kobo Aura 2ndEdv1. I used to download epubs from several Internet sources, and to build some epubs from InDesign documents.
Then I copy them from my PC to the root of Kobo plugged in by USB.
Until last Saturday, all was fine : when I unplugged (by ejecting cleanly) Kobo device, the notication "Importing content (in French Importation du contenu)" was displayed during 1 or 2 seconds, then new books appeared immediatly, even when I added several books.

But since 3 days, importing content became very very very slow, about 10 or 15 minutes for only one book (< 1 Mo). It is also 10 to 15 minutes for 10 ebooks for example.

So I have resetted Kobo to factory parameters. But no change.
Then I also resetted Kobo to default parameters. No more change. Content importing is always so slow.
I'm very annoyed because I have to build many epubs from Indesign documents. I am able to export from InDesign to epubs, but then I have to check them on various devices, particularly Kobo. If I have to wait 15 minutes everytime, I'll became crazy.

Kobo's firmware is currently v4.21.15015.
I attempted to downgrade to v4.19.14123 : I downloaded kobo-update-4.19.14123.zip from pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/, then I plugged (usb) Kobo and copied the whole zip's content to /.kobo and rebooted Kobo. But nothing happens. When rebooted then plugged, /.kobo directory does no more contains files I had copied. And FW version is still v4.21.15015

So I have 2 questions :
1) have you heard of such a slow content import ?
2) what can I do ? and particularly how to downgrade FW ?

Big thanks to you who will me
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a new firmware release recently. The new version is 4.22.15190. Give that a try.

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

At that URL, you can download the version for your Kobo and manually install it. Oh and do not go back to any version 4.19. It's too buggy. If you feel the need to go back, try 4.20.14622.

To manually install the firmware, once you have the ZIP file for the firmware, unzip the contents to the .kobo directory and eject the Kobo. It will then proceed to install and reboot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
jjk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a new firmware release recently. The new version is 4.22.15190. Give that a try.
Thanks JSWolf.
I did what you asked me. Now my FW is 4.22.15190. Everything went well.
But new FW import took 20+ minutes.
And then I copied one epub about 1 Mb. Import is still in progress (25% finished after 3 or 4 minutes).

Is there anyone who heard of such a slow content import ?

BTW the Kobo Wifi connection is also very slow while same Wifi net is quick with my phone.
I don't know if this has anything to do with the slowness of importing after usb deconnect.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe there is something wrong with the SD card. It's not a firmware issue or it would be more reports of slow importing.

Speak to davidfor about this.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
jjk
Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm new on this forum.
It is the first time I hear about a SD card. What is it ? How can I know if mine is corrupted ? How can I change it ? Is it a physical or logical card ? Inside the Kobo device ?
I am lost...
Advert
Old 06-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
How many books do you have on the device? The import time goes up as the number of books does, but, from my experience, you would need a very large number of books before it got that bad.

A more likely reason is that the database on the device is corrupt. Depending on what part is corrupted, this will slow things down. You can test this with an SQLite management tool, or if you are a calibre user, my Kobo Utilities plugin can do it. Though, if you are a calibre user, you would probably get an error when it is getting a list of books from the device.

It could also be a failing internal Micro SD card (@JSWolf suggested). If it is, you can replace it and restore an image to the card. That will usually fix problems like this.

What I would suggest you do at this point is:
  • Test the database.
  • If the database is corrupt, do a sign-out of the Kobo account. Then do the setup again. This will rebuild the database and import the books again.
  • If that doesn't help, do a factory reset. This will restore the device to as-new configuration and you an go through the setup again. You will lose all sideloaded books.
  • If it still fails, replace the SD card. I can supply an image for your device to do this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
jjk
Enthusiast

Thank davidfor
I'll try all you say me. But now I already deleted all books and issue seems to have receded.
As I said in my first post, I had already resetted Kobo to factory parameters, so all my books were lost. Then I had also resetted Kobo to default parameters, but nothing changed.
So this morning I deleted the two .sqlite files, then I added some books, and now adding is almost normal. The database was probably corrupted.

Now I have still some questions. You and JSWolf talk of some SD Card. My device is Aura Ed2v1, SN=N236... I don't find any SD card connector. Is there an internal SD card supplied with the Kobo device ? If yes, how can I acceeded to it ? When I plug the Kobo by usb cable, I don't see any drive matching SD card. I have only one added drive, here D: which contains .kobo directory and some others. When I add books, I copy them directly in D:\ (root)
Nevertheless I'll test the database with your Kobo Utilities plugin.

Many thanks for your help, JSWorls and you davidfor.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The Kobo Aura Edition 2 has a socketed microSD card as it's internal storage. See the circled item in the attached image. Note that the card has multiple partitions, only one of which is exposed using the USB connection. Do not format it in a Windows machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo_Aura_Ed2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	180186  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:14 AM   #9
jjk
Enthusiast

Thanks David. I didn't know that.
So yesterday evening I have read many threads about SD Card. I have not yet dared to open the Kobo, but if my problem comes back, I'll do it, and I'll ask a SD Card to davidfor. Yet I hope that the SD Card is not glued.
Wait and see...
Old 06-26-2020, 05:30 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk View Post
Thanks David. I didn't know that.
So yesterday evening I have read many threads about SD Card. I have not yet dared to open the Kobo, but if my problem comes back, I'll do it, and I'll ask a SD Card to davidfor. Yet I hope that the SD Card is not glued.
Wait and see...
The SD card is not glued in place.

Tags
downgrade firmware, import books, resetting