Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 07-21-2023, 03:08 PM   #1
kevn57
Connoisseur
kevn57 began at the beginning.

Device: Moonreader+
Wishlist A.I. Features for Viewer

Computer narrated (which we already have) with A.I. generated images that would display behind the text and background ambient sounds.

The A.I. would read ahead and if the scene for example took place on a beach the A.I. would generate a beach scene and play ambient sounds such as waves, a gull maybe a foghorn if a light house was in the text.

I know this is not realistic as the picture changes scene by scene, the color of the text would need to be changed to keep it viewable, such as white text on a snowy mountain would need to be changed to black text.

I hear so much about A.I. these days, how long till you think that something like this might be feasible. Would you be more or less immersed in a text with these features.
kevn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:21 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I would hate this. I prefer to imagine things, I don't need a system generating ambiance.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2023, 03:26 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Ghastly

Most of what you read about AI is hype or lies.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:28 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre is a Library Manager with Basic tools. The Windows version has already grown over the years.
If you want something like this, use a 3rd party viewer. Access it with Open With.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:29 PM   #5
kevn57
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I would hate this. I prefer to imagine things, I don't need a system generating ambiance.
Fair enough, I was reading Asimov's Foundation and their books are played like films on a screen, that's what made me think of it. That and every tech site, every day, has an A.I./chatbot article.

Personally I'd really love the ambient sounds and if it wasn't for IP, songs that are mentioned in the text to play in the background. I know some authors offer playlists to listen to, but I'd really want it synced to the text.
Advert
Old 07-21-2023, 03:37 PM   #6
kevn57
Connoisseur

> use a 3rd party viewer.
I do if I just want a quick view, but nothing on Windows beats v5. Calibre Viewer for read aloud. I've used Balabolka and the speech is fine but it renders the book as text so you lose all formatting.

>Most of what you read about AI is hype or lies
I don't disagree but using A.I. to generate images works fairly well from the little experience I've had using it and I'm no artist.
Old 07-21-2023, 03:39 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I tend to agree with @Quoth. A ghastly idea. I prefer to use the words to build the worlds in my head without the distractions of noise and images.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 05:22 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My daughter says BGI beats CGI every time
[Brain Generated Images]
Old 07-21-2023, 06:39 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
My daughter says BGI beats CGI every time
[Brain Generated Images]
It would be helpful if you provided a link to the BGI you are referring to. Searching, I get EU and Chinese genomics, videogame culture, and video prop supplies amongst others. Of course you might be referring to something else.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 06:48 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tend to agree with @Quoth. A ghastly idea. I prefer to use the words to build the worlds in my head without the distractions of noise and images.
Yes, me too. I don't want any sounds playing when I read, and images would only distract me.

OTOH there sure are lots of people who find plain vanilla reading boring. Sounds and images would perhaps make them read more.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 02:11 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
OTOH there sure are lots of people who find plain vanilla reading boring. Sounds and images would perhaps make them read more.
DVDs with subtitles turned on?
Old 07-22-2023, 04:57 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Can your daughter share her brain generated images with other people so they can conform?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:22 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Q's daughter could put them up on IG… when he buys her an MRI scanner.

Talking of which ==>> How 'Oppenheimer' Pulled Off Its Trinity Test Sequence without CGI

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:09 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Q's daughter could put them up on IG… when he buys her an MRI scanner.
MRI can't do that.