Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-08-2023, 03:16 PM   #1
DVdm
Enthusiast
DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (mark 5)
Solution for viewer taking ages to open an epub

I think I found the cause of the extremely slow opening of epub-books with the Calibre viewer, an annoyance that has been there for ages.
Some books indeed take over 5 minutes to open, and some I have to interrupt and decide that they probably will never manage to open. I created a test book with one sentence on one page and tried opening it. It took 3 minutes to open.
On the other hand, when I open a book by going to the epub-file folder and double clicking it, it opens within seconds.

With the task manager I noticed that, when opening outside of Calibre, there's a process called "The calibre e-book viewer", whereas when I open an epub from within Calibre, I get a process called "calibre worker process".

So, I tried this:
Go to 'Preferences', 'Behaviour', 'Use internal viewer for', UNcheck (!) the entry for EPUB, which was checked on my system (Calibre portable 6.12 on WIN10 Pro).

When I do that, all my e-books open immediately with a process called "The calibre e-book viewer" and that horrible delay is no longer there.
PHEW, what an infinite relief!
DVdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The correct solution for this is to find out what software on your system (most likely the antivirus) is interfering with one type of process and not the other and stop it from doing so.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2023, 03:56 AM   #3
DVdm
Enthusiast
DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.DVdm knows what's going on.

Hmmm, yes. I have standard, up-to-date Windows Defender from WIN10.

I stopped my antivirus (real-time, cloud, and manupulation protection) , re-enabled EPUB for 'Use internal viewer for', and tried opening some books. They all opend very fast.
Ok, so then, one by one I restarted the protection processes, and each time tried opening some books again. With success!

To be sure I restarted the system and tried once more. Everything opens fast.
Perhaps some protection process was preventing some calibre cache to be cleared or something? Strange.

I'll leave the setting as it is now and will come back here if/when the problem might re-emerge...
Old 02-09-2023, 07:02 PM   #4
DVdm
Enthusiast

Back already. Books don't open at all anymore.
Stopping antivirus doesn't help.
Unchecking EPUB for internal viewer doesn't help.
Externally opening book works perfectly.
I decided to let it try for about 10 minutes. From then it works again.
I am leaving EPUB unchecked now.
Is there some kind of logfile I can consult and/or perhaps send over?
Old 02-09-2023, 09:28 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is not anything in calibre so logfiles wont help. Its something interfering on your machine. But you can start calibre in debug mode br right clicking the preferences button.
Advert
Old 02-09-2023, 11:03 PM   #6
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Do you have an AMD gpu or cpu?
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:40 AM   #7
DVdm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is not anything in calibre so logfiles wont help. Its something interfering on your machine. But you can start calibre in debug mode br right clicking the preferences button.
I'll try that next when the problem presents itself again, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
Do you have an AMD gpu or cpu?
I have a DELL Latitude E5530 with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3540M CPU @ 3.00GHz.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:12 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Reboot into safe mode and see if it Calibre's viewer is working. If so, boot normally and try again. If it's failing, disable everything one by one. But you have to reboot in between.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 01:47 PM   #9
gentlemagic
gentlemagic began at the beginning.

Device: PC Windows 10
I have slow issue too with an epub have many images, many embeded videos, and file size 265MB, loading time 20s.
Luckily after read a lot of forum posts I solve it by steps:
1. Turn off hardware virtualization in Kaspersky reduce loading time from 20s to
12s
2. In graphic card control , I change Tessellation mode to applications setting, and bang! loading times now 1s
gentlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 01:54 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemagic View Post
I have slow issue too with an epub have many images, many embeded videos, and file size 265MB, loading time 20s.
Luckily after read a lot of forum posts I solve it by steps:
1. Turn off hardware virtualization in Kaspersky reduce loading time from 20s to
12s
2. In graphic card control , I change Tessellation mode to applications setting, and bang! loading times now 1s
Kaspersky is garbage and really should be deleted from your system.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:25 AM   #11
DVdm
Enthusiast

HELP!
Opening any book withing calibre takes ages for any book in my library.
Does not depend on any setting: antivirus on/off, starting with/without plugins, using EPUB-check/unckeck in Use internal viewer.
Nothing helps anymore.
O.t.o.h, directly opening by double clicking the .epub in the book directory takes a few seconds for any book, even for the largest ones.
Even when I try to open a second window from within, it hangs.
Text-files produced by restarting in debug-mode reveal nothing.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:27 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Reboot in safe mode, they will open instantly. Then reboot in normal mode turning off your background services one by one until you discover whatever is causing the issues.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:45 AM   #13
DVdm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Reboot in safe mode, they will open instantly. Then reboot in normal mode turning off your background services one by one until you discover whatever is causing the issues.
Rebooted in safe mode. Same behaviour
Old 02-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then you should have a much smaller set of background programs/services to check. You can open up task manager and kill them off one by one and see what makes a difference.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:48 PM   #15
DVdm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Then you should have a much smaller set of background programs/services to check. You can open up task manager and kill them off one by one and see what makes a difference.
Everything seems to be OK again now.

Tags
viewer opening slowly