Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #31
JTY
JTY began at the beginning.

Device: Entourge Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I try not to fold my screens together. for those that have opened up the pe is it a cause for concern?
The problem is not in the fold mechanism, problme is with LCD controling chips overheating. Usually it happens after upgrading to ermine and using for long periods.
Mine went for replacement, seller said that latest beta should be avoided, that version causes overheating.
JTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #32
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTY View Post
seller said that latest beta should be avoided, that version causes overheating.
What a crock - s/he has not a slightest idea what s/he's talking about.

Last edited by ptsenter; 08-16-2011 at 07:34 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #33
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Replacement PE

The PE that died from WSOD was returned to Woot. The replacement has been operating for over a month now - its been rooted and upgraded to 2.2. It has mostly worked flawlessly - except for an occasional heart stopping WSOD for 2 or three seconds when I flip over to the LCD screen to access an Android function. The WSOD goes to black and then the standard screen pops up. This unit get slightly warm to the touch after reading for 45 minutes to an hour but is in no way uncomfortable - (this is with the unit folded back so that the backs are touching). Hibernation works so well that I haven't bothered to power it down when I'm not using it. It can sit for 5 or 6 days and still have enough power to use as a book reader for an hour or so. Oh, by the way I also disabled the 2 phone apps. I think this contributed to the long hibernation time.

Some people are not going to like this, but this is a device that never finished its hardware and software development cycles. There are a few mods that have been proven to work, but other than that, trying out new apps that someone with a Linux/Android background hasn't vetted, is asking for trouble. The unit is a great, although slightly too thick, heavy book reader. It's great for occasional forays onto the internet for info/mail, etc. But, based on quite a few "bricking adventures" outlined in this forum, trying to load strange apps is like playing Russian Roulette with two rounds in the revolver. It's really too bad that it didn't get further down the path.
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #34
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
For the sake of it I tested how long PE is going to survive in "hibernate". After 170 hours it went down to 9% after which it refused to run without recharging. During this time I used it 4 - 5 times for a few minutes each.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #35
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTY View Post
The problem is not in the fold mechanism, problme is with LCD controling chips overheating. Usually it happens after upgrading to ermine and using for long periods.
Mine went for replacement, seller said that latest beta should be avoided, that version causes overheating.
Can you say definitely it's not the folding mechanism? I wouldn't be able to say unless I opened it up. Did you?

I'm have heard no proof that beta causes this problem...
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #36
dakast
dakast began at the beginning.

Device: edge
more info

Quote:
bought one in june from Meijers online for my daughter's b'day that was yesterday. upgraded to ermine and played with it a little when it first arrived. I noticed yesterday she had the unit folded open all the way and was writing on the e-ink side. about an hour later the white screen came up and no joy since. reverted back to dingo using golden 5X but the white screen remains. no longer an option to send it in for warranty as the ph# is no longer in service. really sucks!

update: talked to Meijers customer service and explained the situation with entourage being out of business and it looks like they may replace it.
Meijers could not replace it because they had no stock left. Refunded the money and my daughter chose to get a refurb nook color for $169. I've had one since they came out and run cm7 on it so she knows what it can do.

My impressions of the PE are the same as someone mentioned a few posts back...maybe still a little too much beta. I had bought the one in May and played around with it, updated it and probably spent 25 hours using it. Didn't have a problem but I was a little disappointed.
My daughter had it for not much over an hour when the WSOD happened. That's not acceptable.
dakast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #37
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakast View Post
Meijers could not replace it because they had no stock left. Refunded the money and my daughter chose to get a refurb nook color for $169. I've had one since they came out and run cm7 on it so she knows what it can do.

My impressions of the PE are the same as someone mentioned a few posts back...maybe still a little too much beta. I had bought the one in May and played around with it, updated it and probably spent 25 hours using it. Didn't have a problem but I was a little disappointed.
My daughter had it for not much over an hour when the WSOD happened. That's not acceptable.
I agree, it's not acceptable. So it is good and right that Meijers refunded your money. Entourage was accepting returns and repairing Pocket eDGes with WSoD before they went under, so they didn't think it was right, either.

I thought the WSoD problem was a problem with Android 2.2 in general, and not specific to the eDGe, so I don't blame the PE design or the Ermine beta. Whatever the cause, though, it shouldn't happen.

I'm glad your daughter got an ereader/tablet she feels good about. That's really what's important, it seems to me!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #38
JTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Can you say definitely it's not the folding mechanism? I wouldn't be able to say unless I opened it up. Did you?

I'm have heard no proof that beta causes this problem...
Gary
Yes i did and went thru the hardware under scope, also took some pictures from al the different parts.
Wirigins around the folding part is pretty okay, all wires are sperated and twisted in loose way. My unit overheated and there was traces of heat in the region where the LCD display drivers were. I had plan to find the broken part, but got an replacement, let's how long it will work.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #39
eTurtle
Banned
eTurtle began at the beginning.

Device: Dualbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone View Post
But, based on quite a few "bricking adventures" outlined in this forum
Can you be a little more specific as to what quantity defines "quite a few"? 1 out of 10? 2? 3?

Quote:
trying to load strange apps is like playing Russian Roulette with two rounds in the revolver.
Can you also be a little more specific as to what defines a "strange app"?

TIA for any elucidation you attempt.
eTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #40
eTurtle
Banned
eTurtle began at the beginning.

Device: Dualbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
What a crock - s/he has not a slightest idea what s/he's talking about.
After reading all the unhappy customers here, reporting failed Ermine beta installs, even bricking their devices for good, I don't see how you could ever take such an irresponsible position. Looks to me like the seller was well informed, as to the possible risks with the upgrade.
eTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #41
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTurtle View Post
Can you be a little more specific as to what quantity defines "quite a few"? 1 out of 10? 2? 3?

Can you also be a little more specific as to what defines a "strange app"?

Any app that defies installation on the edge. There are techniques to force it, but there are minefields and booby traps that exist in the hardware, firmware and OS that are awaiting any wrong step. All, of course unintended, but nevertheless there (see unfinished development).

TIA for any elucidation you attempt.
I'm sorry that I didn't track the actual occurrences. The search function on this forum is a little vague in getting actual numbers. I think that I personally have read about 9 or 10 episodes of WSOD since I first signed into the forum, including my first unit. There are what seems to be many posts reporting bricked units and not too many of them end happily.

Let's face it, people are having a lot of fun with the PE and the EE. Some folks, unfortunately, paid full price for them and then Entourage abandoned them. Others, such as myself, got in for bargain basement prices. There are some folks who tend to savagely defend any position that they have taken (like purchasing one of the edges). I think, however, that I can almost guarantee you that 1 year from now this forum, if it's still around will be a shadow of what it is today. I have other units of this type on the shelf - has anybody ever heard of the Netappliance?

There are far superior products that didn't make the cut (HP Touchpad). It's a fact of technological life (Electronic Darwinism?). But I guess Darwin is a whole other issue.
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #42
JTY

Just got my replacement unit, but the sytlus was missing from the package so no fun for me
Seller had allread upgraded the unit to 2.2, so let's how long it works
Old 08-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #43
JTY

Okay i was too hasty with my answer, just unlocked the screen let it done for a while and it went to sleep, pressed menu and vola WSOD appeared YES!
Damn these are good devices
Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 AM   #44
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Oh Noooooooo!!

Was it permanent?
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #45
JTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Oh Noooooooo!!

Was it permanent?

Gladly no, it was only a temporary WSOD.
It came almost every time when i waked the screen, let go dark and again press menu button it was fine. But that is the first sign, before permanent WSOD.
The PE was warm from the same spot were the old one heated up and went WSOD permanent.

I downgraded almost instantly to 1.6 firmware.
I have been using it whole day with stable 1.6 and not even a single WSOD
So it's clear that it's caused by 2.2 firmware.