Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Collections?

When I connect to an ereader device, I note that there is an extra column in Calibre called 'Collections'. I could not find a mention of it in the help.

Could someone point me to the help if such exists, or tell me what it is?

Since I want to group the books on my reader by type (Horror, Sci Fi, etc), this seems like it might lead in that direction.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
The "collections" column on the reader display contains the corresponding values from the "Tags" and "Series" columns in the Library display. These are metadata values that are used to mark the ebook as being a member of a collection sharing some user defined attribute such as Horror, Sci Fi, Romance, Mystery, etc.

You must set the ebook's "Tags" and "Series" values in Calibre before transferring the ebook to your reader. Once a value is set, the ebook becomes a member of the collection named by the value. You can have multiple values in the "Tags" field, each value creating a collection, but you can only put one value in the "Series" field. The "Series" field also allows you to specify the number of the ebook in the series.

There are at least three ways to enter values into these fields to create collections:
Press the "Edit meta information" icon at the top of the screen,
or highlight a row in library display mode and press "e".
or double click the "Tags" (or "Series") fields for an ebook in library display mode for direct entry.
Hovering over a data field in edit mode will pop up a help box describing the purpose of the field.

I hope this helps.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
When I connect to an ereader device, I note that there is an extra column in Calibre called 'Collections'. I could not find a mention of it in the help.
Not every ereader uses collections on their device.

My device creates collections based on tags and/or series.

When I transfer books to my device this column is filled in based on the tags and series that were converted to a collection when transferred to my device.

I'm not sure how your device sorts books on your device or if it even uses collections. It may be that your device sorts books via folders and not collections which means that column will always be empty.

You can customize how items are saved to device under preferences - plugins - device interface plugin. If you changed your save template to {tags}/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors} then tags like horror, sci-fi, mystery would create top level folders to contain books with those tags.

Good Luck

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-10-2010 at 05:32 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The problem is as dwanthny said, that the reader software must support collections, and then Calibre must be told how they work. Currently, collections are supported only on Sony devices. Kindle support will happen eventually, once the right people have the Kindle upgrade.

Hmmm, I don't know if the new iPad driver does something with collections.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote