Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Pocketbook 360 Review & Hands on Video

I have this review that I'd like to share. It was written by MR member Roger108, and I think it pretty accurately describes the PB360. You can find it over on my blog. Here's an excerpt:

The Pocketbook 360° eReader – Lean, Light, Beautiful and Blazing Fast
Quote:
Ebook readers have been arriving in ever greater tidal waves over the past few years, some loaded with features, others barely able to perform as ebook readers. This January when I began my search, I was looking for one feature, the ability to read books easily, without eye strain. I have no desire to divide my mind with music or the internet while reading.

So when my ivory colored Pocketbook 360° appeared before my eyes—lean, light, and beautiful—I had a feeling that it would be a perfect fit. In fact, being the size of a CD case, and weighing a mere 5.3 ounces (half that of the Kindle or Nook), it fit perfectly in my pocket.
I also shot a couple hands on videos with my new camera. You can watch them here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't forget to install the new firmware on the Pocketbook! It makes a good machine even better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
addicted2books
EBookaholic
addicted2books doesn't litteraddicted2books doesn't litteraddicted2books doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
From everyone's comments on this Reader, I'm really starting to think I might be tempted to buy a new Reader.
addicted2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I got mine early this week and love it. It's my first reader and I am extremely impressed by it. I was worried about the page turn speed based on videos of other readers and the PB360 is lightening fast.

Definitely worth buying.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
That looks really good, love the format, if I wouldn't own a Sony PRS-300 I would probably choose thise one for commuting.
Thanks for the post Nate.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
valerian
valerian began at the beginning.

Device: none
Indecisive IS me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
I got mine early this week and love it. It's my first reader and I am extremely impressed by it. I was worried about the page turn speed based on videos of other readers and the PB360 is lightening fast.

Definitely worth buying.
I've been thinking of buying a reader for about a year and was thinking of the Kindle, however your input has given me pause for thought (or maybe even more indecision!).

Where do U buy books from - are you limited as to type - do U download them - and if so, how and by what means? Many thanks - and I will probably have more questions! Val
valerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:12 AM   #7
Fringecup
Enthusiast
Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch Edition
Here's an article that I read in today's Toronto Globe & Mail about the new Kobo ereader that's coming out on May 1: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/personal-tech/homegrown-kobo-hits-the-shelves/article1551370/?cmpid=rss1
Fringecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerian View Post
I've been thinking of buying a reader for about a year and was thinking of the Kindle, however your input has given me pause for thought (or maybe even more indecision!).

Where do U buy books from - are you limited as to type - do U download them - and if so, how and by what means? Many thanks - and I will probably have more questions! Val
Would you believe I haven't bought a single book yet? I bought my reader mainly for reading fanfiction and free books.

I live in Australia and with geographic restrictions, the thought of buying online is a headache for me, at the moment. I've searched a few of the ebook shops and most of what I wanted isn't available to me as an ebook. I'm hoping that the restrictions let up a lot once people realise that Aussies are actually buying the devices to read ebooks on and that Kindle is not the only option out there.

I've now had my Pocketbook 360 for over a month and I am still in love with it. It does exactly what I wanted it to do and the file organisation system (bookshelf) is wonderful. I am a file organising junkie.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Also, if you're worried that the 5" screen might be too small for you, I did too. I do find it a little smaller than I wanted in portrait orientation, but in landscape it's exactly the width I feel most comfortable reading. The beauty with the 360 is just that, it rotates 360. Anyone will be comfortable reading it in any orientation. I'm left-handed so that was a consideration for me.

I can imagine anyone being unhappy with a PB360 and no, I don't work for them!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post

I can imagine anyone being unhappy with a PB360 and no, I don't work for them!
I agree. Its such a complete ereader, as long as you don't think wireless or 3G completes an ereader, which I don't. Even after 3 weeks (thats how long I have had the ereader) I still find myself while in the middle of reading stopping and being amazed at just how great the 360 is.

Cheers.

*Oh I don't work for them either lol.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
In the review, it says "While in a book, tapping the center of the joypad brings up a quick menu. When reading EPUBS, the lower right hand icon brings up a settings menu for choosing almost any font size. Though not available with PDFs or DRM files, you can still use the up arrow to chose from five levels of zoom."

Does that mean you can't change font size in a DRM ePub? It sounds like that's what he was saying. Or does he just mean the shortcut arrow key doesn't work in DRM ePubs or PDFs?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 AM   #11
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
In the review, it says "While in a book, tapping the center of the joypad brings up a quick menu. When reading EPUBS, the lower right hand icon brings up a settings menu for choosing almost any font size. Though not available with PDFs or DRM files, you can still use the up arrow to chose from five levels of zoom."

Does that mean you can't change font size in a DRM ePub? It sounds like that's what he was saying. Or does he just mean the shortcut arrow key doesn't work in DRM ePubs or PDFs?
I am unsure because I don't have any ebooks that have DRM. Hopefully one of the other 360 users can check for you.

The default that the ereader comes as allows 5 levels of font size. But the third party version of fbreader gives you 20 levels of font size. Just an FYI.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
IndecisiveMe
Addict

I don't have any DRMd books, either. I'd suggesting popping over the dedicated Pocketbook forum here at MR and asking there. Someone is bound to have an answer for you.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Not sure what he *meant* but the reality is that since the DRM used is Adobe Adept the answer, sadly, is: it depends.

As a rule, the Adobe Reader on the PB360 (the mandated way to read DRM'ed content) deigns to offer five zoom factors, the ePub format allows the publisher to force a specific, non-overrideable font and size. This is *not* a DRM issue but an ePUB publisher-service issue. (I've only run into one ebook that refused to zoom but it is a well-known "feature" of the format.) In the newly-emergent war between publishers and readers Adobe stands foursquare with the publishers.

Since ADE honors the publisher's power, if you use ADE to read ePUBs (DRM'ed or not) you are limited to the Standard ADE typographical controls. You get one font face, six (well-chosen) zoom factors, no margins, no line spacing controls, no hyphenation/alignment options, ADE page numbers on the right, a mandatory status bar, etc. This is *not* a PB360 issue per-se, it is an ADE issue. The PB360 implementation of ADE is decent enough--it supports dictionary look-up and clipping among other features--its just limited to what the publishers choose to hardwire for you. As a result, the "settings" icon in the quick menu is replaced by a "zoom" icon.

For a better idea of what the baseline PB360 interface looks like, check this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61908
(Its what sold me on PB360.)

Of course, the PB360 offers an alternative for DRM-free ePub; it comes with a version of FBReader (and you can download a superior one called FBReader 180: http://code.google.com/p/fbreader-po...eader180_guide) which allows you to override/redefine most ePub typographical settings.

You can easily choose which reader software to make your default or simply hold the center button and choose at launch time.

When it comes to fonts and sizes, FBReader180 allows you to specify any truetype or opentype font in any arbitrary font size; one-point increments. Your call. It also has an extensive styles.xml configuration file that lets you go to town setting up *your* prefered presentation style. (FBReader180 has a built-in settings pane for creating/editing/loading multiple styles.xml profiles.) With over a hundred settings you could spend weeks just tweaking. (Me, I settled for 5 minor adjustments to get the look I prefer; a quarter-inch margin all around, no status bar, and new chapter headings with an inch or so "space before".)

There is nothing really bad about ADE on PB360, mind you; it is comparable to ADE on other Adobe-based readers. But it is *not* the reason to get a PB360. Its a nice fallback. But if you intend to spend the bulk of your reading time in ADE you're likely better served by a Sony or Bookeen reader. (At least as of now. Rumors abound.)

But if the bulk of your reading is DRM-free (or you know how to make it DRM-free ) then you'll likely be happy with the PB360.

Oh, and when I said Baseline Interface, above, I was referring to the fact that the Pocketbook line allows you to replace the standard look and feel with your own using THEMES:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80518
These THEMES don't just reskin the interface, the change behavior and even add bookshelf modes/features. So you can have the bookshelf of your choice, the ebook presentation of your choice, multiple active dictionaries, and still have access to Adobe DRM'ed ebooks if that floats your boat.

That said, as good as the PB360 software environment is, what I most love about the PB360 is the ergonomics; it is a one-handed reader I can control with one finger and fits into my pants pocket like a thin paperback reader.

It's not perfect but it suits me just fine.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-01-2010 at 09:18 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote