Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #196
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
ahintz & fasteight: both of your Kindle Paperwhites look excellent, to me.
Yea, after using it for several hours, both in the dark and in lit rooms, I will say I am very happy. Normal reading is great. The only place I notice any issues with the lighting is when I use the store and the text descriptions go all the way to the bottom of the screen, which makes the shadows obvious. Since that is a very small percentage of my use, not something I will worry much about.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #197
Maikax
Maikax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad 1y.... ¡Kindle Paperwhite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Ahh what the heck, you only live once. At maximum brightness I see a slight green blog upper right. but it is easily negated, but turning down the light. Overall pretty happy with it.

What do you'll see (Taken with SGS2 camera)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2586806/20121018_111801.jpg
No te preocupes, los que ven manchas es que tienen la mirada sucia...

Es es mejor Paperwhite que he visto en foto.

Enhorabuena por tu compra.
Maikax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #198
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikax View Post
No te preocupes, los que ven manchas es que tienen la mirada sucia...

Es es mejor Paperwhite que he visto en foto.

Enhorabuena por tu compra.
Thank you
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #199
gail1057
gail1057 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just got my paperwhite and I am not sure what you mean by a good vs. bad paperwhite?
gail1057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #200
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail1057 View Post
I just got my paperwhite and I am not sure what you mean by a good vs. bad paperwhite?
Many of the Kindle Paperwhites have had problems with color hue issues. You look at the screen and see a faint hue of pink, blue, green on the screen. Also, some users have them, but don't see them, possibly due to being color blind. There's also been glowing specks and black specks and also sometimes one of the lights will be brighter casting a bigger shadow in on the screen in that area.

So a good PW would be one free of color hues and the other issues I mentioned. Going by the photos posted, very few of them exist, unfortunately.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #201
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Many of the Kindle Paperwhites have had problems with color hue issues. You look at the screen and see a faint hue of pink, blue, green on the screen. Also, some users have them, but don't see them, possibly due to being color blind. There's also been glowing specks and black specks and also sometimes one of the lights will be brighter casting a bigger shadow in on the screen in that area.

So a good PW would be one free of color hues and the other issues I mentioned. Going by the photos posted, very few of them exist, unfortunately.

I'm just amazed at the glowing(no pun intended) reviews on Amazon about the PW. "Best Kindle yet, October 22"............. really ! My K4 puts this unit to shame as far as dark sharp contrast for readability.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #202
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
I'm just amazed at the glowing(no pun intended) reviews on Amazon about the PW. "Best Kindle yet, October 22"............. really ! My K4 puts this unit to shame as far as dark sharp contrast for readability.
We must be lucky. Both of ours are much better than the K3s or 4 or Touch we have. The light is amazing.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #203
Prokrypt
Prokrypt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
We must be lucky. Both of ours are much better than the K3s or 4 or Touch we have. The light is amazing.
I must be unlucky. The light on mine is amusing. The positions of the pink/green spots seem to shift depending on the time/temperature/something-else.
Prokrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #204
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Possible fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokrypt View Post
I must be unlucky. The light on mine is amusing. The positions of the pink/green spots seem to shift depending on the time/temperature/something-else.
Download and install the upgrade here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201064850

Then raise the PW light level to 22 and only use in good ambient light.

The spots may not be noticeable under those conditions.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #205
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Download and install the upgrade here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201064850

Then raise the PW light level to 22 and only use in good ambient light.

The spots may not be noticeable under those conditions.
So: you fork out a bunch of cash for a glowing reader so you can read in the dark... and now you can only read in the light?

Oh dear.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #206
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
This is mine on the 20 setting..

I'm happy with the screen I have. Maybe because I have a Nook Glowlight as well so I know that no front lighted screen is perfect. I do think Amazon kind of made their own problems with the marketing pictures. If I had holes in the screen, that might bother me.

Last edited by voracious71; 11-09-2012 at 10:46 PM.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #207
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

voracious71: If the hues on that photo are accurate, there is no way I could read comfortably on that. Glad I decided to get a Glo.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #208
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
voracious71: If the hues on that photo are accurate, there is no way I could read comfortably on that. Glad I decided to get a Glo.
The picture isn't 100% accurate. There aren't any hues in "real life", at least not to my eyes. It's been hard to get a good picture. I debated whether or not to even post it, because of the difficulty in getting an accurate picture and the hyper acuity of the screen inspections on this board lately.

I do think for many people, this issue has taken on a life of it's own. I have to wonder if for some, no PW screen would meet their standards at this point. And that's ok, because there are plenty of other ereaders.

All that matters is that I can read comfortably on it. And I can and do. I'm really enjoying this ereader and i hope you enjoy your Kobo Glo as well.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #209
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I do think for many people, this issue has taken on a life of it's own. I have to wonder if for some, no PW screen would meet their standards at this point. And that's ok, because there are plenty of other ereaders.
I've seen a very few that I'd find tolerable, though the headlamping is mildly to moderately irritating-looking on all (I guess not really a defect as such, just design issues). I've also seen photos and video of some that others are saying are ok or are perfect or gorgeous, which to me look abysmal colourwise - including in side-by-sides with other glowing readers that look good to me, so it's not just the cameras inserting colour artifacts or me making things up.

I know I'm quite colour-perceptive, and I know there are a lot of people out there with undiagnosed defects in colour vision or who are just less sensitive to colour (especially reds/pink and greens) than others are. And good for them- they'll enjoy the Paperwhites that the rest of us couldn't.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #210
voracious71
Addict

I've just had an eye exam-no color blindness here. I also showed my PW to several people, mentioning nothing about the color blotch controversy. None of these people are PW owners or know anything about them. I simply asked their opinion on the screen quality. Not one person mentioned blotches, or hues. Two out of the five did mention the light cone shadows, which never bothered me in the first place, since the Nook Glowlight has them as well. All 5 thought the device was neat and I had to practically wrestle it away from 2 of them,lol.

This tells me that at least some of this color problem is being blown out of proportion. Not all of it, because Ive seen a PW with a real color issue and it was bad. That's why I finally decided to take a chance and see for myself.

Also, I did take the photo with an ipad camera. Those pretty much suck. I'll try it with my iphone camera which is better.

Last edited by voracious71; 11-10-2012 at 12:53 AM.