Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
LKN
LKN began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch set up doesn't work

This morning I bought the Kobo Touch. Unfortunately, the Kobo Setup doesn't work.

When I connect the Kobo Touch to my computer with the USB Cable, the setup doesn't recognize it and won't go on to the next step. I have tried different USB Ports, different USB Cables and two different laptops. It still doesn't work. My computer says I should format the device, before I can use it. Should I do that? And if so, would it work afterwards? Is there another solution?

The computer does see there is an e-reader attached, but I can't do anything with it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
LKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Do you have the Kobo desktop application installed? You need it for the initial setup...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
LKN

Yes, I did. That's what initiates the setup. But I don't get beyond step 1.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have gotten a format message when I did not do a safe disconnect. It was fine and no errors were found, but this does not mean I am recommending that you actually do it!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
LKN

If that's the case, then this formatting thing is an additional problem next to the setup problem. Because I am sure I did a safe disconnect at the beginning.
Maybe I didn't lateron, but at that time the setup problem already existed.
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Maybe you could try doing a reset by using the pinhole on the back to see if that helps before you connect to your pc. If that doesn't work you could do a factory reset and start all over. I can't remember exactly how to do this but I believe you hold the power button for 5 seconds while at the same time pressing the home button.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
LKN

Thanks Rarebird, the reset didn't work, so I will try the factory reset now. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
LKN

Ok that solved the formatting problem. The computer could now open the E-reader folder and see which files are in it.

But the setup still doesn't work. It says that the e-reader needs to be connected but can't be found. It won't go on to the next step. I don't get it since the computer does recognize the e-reader. So why can't setup see it?

Then I removed the e-reader - safely - in order to be able to put it in my other computer and now I have the formatting problem again...
Old 07-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
LKN, this may sound extreme, but since you just bought your reader today, maybe your best bet is to return it. you may have gotten a dud. OTOH, if the one you get in its place also has this problem, it might be something in your set-up.

That being said, do check to see that your Firewall or security software is not blocking the Kobo from connecting to the desktop. That has been known to happen.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
LKN

I tried it one more time with the firewall/security software turned off, but still no luck.
Too bad.. You're right, I will return it.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
LKN

Update: I returned it. The store said they have had more of these problems. They gave me a new one and this one is working perfectly.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Had a bit of a problem like that when I tried to setup my new Kobo Touch last night. It took a long time for the Kobo application to recognize my ereader even tough the computer did but it finally did it after a long time. After that I couldn't sync my books via the computer so I setup the Wifi connection on the Touch and synced the books with it. It works fine now
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote