Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
DaNoob
DaNoob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 PC
Modifying Kindle 4 PC

Hi there,

I am proficient in Java, but I'm willing to learn C in order to modify the Kindle 4 PC. I have downloaded the source code for the Kindle 4 PC from the link in the sticky in this subforum, but I'm not sure as where to start. Is there any guide to the source code available on the internet that anyone can point me to?

My first goal appears to me to be straight forward. When I select a word in the Kindle 4 PC, a box pops up with the definition of the word, and options for highlighting, adding a note, copying, and more options. If the New Oxford American dictionary does not detect the word, I must manually click on more options and then Wikipedia to get the answer. I wish to modify this behavior so that if no definition is detected from the dictionary, Kindle automatically knows to query Wikipedia.

Thank you!
DaNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
K4PC is closed source. The only source Amazon provide is from the open-source projects they use (WebKit, AFAIK, in K4PC/K4M).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
K4PC is closed source. The only source Amazon provide is from the open-source projects they use (WebKit, AFAIK, in K4PC/K4M).
Reverse engineering
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you're reading books with highly specialized terminology, you could create your own Kindle dictionary from a tab delimited word list, add the ASIN number of the default English dictionary and replace the default dictionary with your dictionary.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 4 pc, source code