Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
Why use FBReader?

I use my unit for mainly mobipocket books and pdf's (comics).

Why would I want to use FBReader for anything? Just wondering what advantages there are.

Thanks
DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If your MOBI books have DRM, then FBReader won't work.

For DRM-free MOBI files, FBReader is essentially as good as MobiPocket's own Reader at rendering the e-book on the screen. Its primary disadvantages are: that page turns are slow (the next version may fix this) and images bigger than the screen won't rescale. Its advantages are: choose any font you want, choose any line spacing and margins you want, customize lots of other stuff for how you like to read e-books.

If you have a Linux (or Mac) Desktop, then FBReader will work and MobiPocket Reader won't.

FBReader reads many other formats without conversion. Since most MOBI files have small images, when there is a choice I use the LIT version instead. This can be converted to a MOBI file (with large JPEG images) on a Windows desktop, but FBReader will read the LIT directly after ConvertLIT explodes it (which can be done in-line on the iLiad).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I like the FBReader library organization, but I admit I haven't played with the Mobi reader on the iLiad.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
dodowolf
dodowolf began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
I use FBReader for the CHM files in my device
dodowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodowolf View Post
I use FBReader for the CHM files in my device
may i ask , how good is it in viewing CHM formatted files? i mean can you re scale pictures? can you use the index or even search options ?
thnx
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert