Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #46
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
I use FBreader and don't have this problem.
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #47
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post
I found a non-permanent solution to the page flips/freeze. When it occurrs, hit the power button to turn off, then on, then off, then on.
This works really well for me. I hit the on/off button 6-7 times (just to be safe, like) and then, without fail, it comes back to life. Now I might even dare take it with me on my travels - I've kept my K3 for that up until now as I've had some trust issues with the T1.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #48
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nielsen View Post
This works really well for me. I hit the on/off button 6-7 times (just to be safe, like) and then, without fail, it comes back to life. Now I might even dare take it with me on my travels - I've kept my K3 for that up until now as I've had some trust issues with the T1.
I just took my T1 on a trip for a week. The touchscreen froze a few times while reading periodicals. I just used the technique to put it into sleep mode twice and that fixes it. I didn't need to reset it although I had a paperclip just in case. It was nice to have the wireless capability to download my daily news subscription.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #49
toby53
Enthusiast
toby53 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1 & Basic KOBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I just took my T1 on a trip for a week. The touchscreen froze a few times while reading periodicals. I just used the technique to put it into sleep mode twice and that fixes it. I didn't need to reset it although I had a paperclip just in case. It was nice to have the wireless capability to download my daily news subscription.
Ok I will try this next time I get a freezeout.

Beggers the question why after spending a lot of cash to get the thing why do we have to rely on fixes like this??

Come on Sony if its a software issue get a fix out. If its a hardware issue how soon can I get a refund? You need to sort this out before you lose customers
toby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #50
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
This issue is preventing me from purchasing one. Right now its a straight race as to who gets my hard earned cash between Sony and Amazon. If Sony get this issue fixed properly before Amazon release the Touch in the UK then I'll buy a Sony. If they dither about and the Kindle Touch is released first then Amazon will get my cash; assuming of course that there are no major issues reported with the KT when it surfaces in the USA
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #51
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I just contacted Sony again, because my reader just crashed twice in the course of five minutes, this time reading a book. It has crashed a total of three times since I did the factory restart, and during that period I probably haven't used it more than five or six hours in total. This time it's crashing while reading books, not pdfs. I told them I either wanted a solution or my money back. So I'll see what they say... I'm bummed because in all other respects I'm greatly preferring my Sony to the Kindle
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #52
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
This is ridiculous - are we back to ignore 'em they'll go away ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #53
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I heard back now (they've been quick at getting back to me so far, I'll give them that), where they say "at the moment we are gathering some information to develop a firmware update to correct this problem" and asking me a bunch of questions about circumstances when it crashes.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #54
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Well, I heard back now (they've been quick at getting back to me so far, I'll give them that), where they say "at the moment we are gathering some information to develop a firmware update to correct this problem" and asking me a bunch of questions about circumstances when it crashes.
Does "when I use it" work as a response?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #55
jojoba
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Does "when I use it" work as a response?

Here's the list of questions I got, just FYI

1) What specific book formats/titles are you having the problem?
2) Did you purchase the book from the Reader store or get it somewhere else?
3) Are you using the button, stylus or their finger(s) to flip pages?
4) Is there a specific location on the screen they are using to flip the pages?
5) Are you accidentally zooming (pinch) and flipping?
6) Have you used any non-Sony software to manage the device?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #56
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post

Here's the list of questions I got, just FYI

1) What specific book formats/titles are you having the problem?
2) Did you purchase the book from the Reader store or get it somewhere else?
3) Are you using the button, stylus or their finger(s) to flip pages?
4) Is there a specific location on the screen they are using to flip the pages?
5) Are you accidentally zooming (pinch) and flipping?
6) Have you used any non-Sony software to manage the device?
To me, those questions are saying that either the user is inept at changing the page, 3, 4 & 5, or we should only purchase from the read store and use that bad Reader PC software that they have put out for the T1 (2 & 6). Question #1 is really about the only legitimate question they asked.

I REALLY hope that they are looking into it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #57
jojoba
Addict

Yes, it's annoying I really hope they fix it because I really prefer my T1 to Kindle and I want to be able to buy books from different suppliers (English is not my first language so there are many local book shops that I want to be able to access).
Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #58
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
It's only happened to me after I've been reading for an hour or two, so I suspect it's a memory leak in the touch driver. As I haven't done anything with the Android SDK i downloaded, I don't know if it has the tools to find this easily. I think the SDK is mainly for developing apps, not so much for working on internal things like drivers.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #59
jojoba
Addict

So, I've now been told that I need to send mine in for service. I've just contacted my local SONY unit to try to set something up. I hope it will work out. I really want to keep my T1. This is annoying.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #60
jessc
Enthusiast
jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
This issue is preventing me from purchasing one. Right now its a straight race as to who gets my hard earned cash between Sony and Amazon. If Sony get this issue fixed properly before Amazon release the Touch in the UK then I'll buy a Sony. If they dither about and the Kindle Touch is released first then Amazon will get my cash; assuming of course that there are no major issues reported with the KT when it surfaces in the USA
I'm in the US, so for me it's not a matter of which arrives first, but I'm also figuring my next ereader will be the T1 or the Kindle Touch. For me it's a question of what the new Kindle users will say about it when it comes out, and what shape the T1 is in at that time.

I LOVE my PB360, but it's starting to get a bit old and quirky, so I'm looking into what comes next. The T1 sounds fantastic, except for that pesky little problem of being a PITA to use.
jessc is offline   Reply With Quote