Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
One week's use - thoughts and questions

OK so I've had my V2 Iliad for about a week, and really like it, but I thought I'd post my thoughts to date in case they're any use, or more to the point in case anyone has any advise on working arround these issues!

Some of these come after years of taking notes on a Windows Mobile PDA:

Notes
- Could do with a way to make multi-page templates, a bit like a two page form. I can use different images for pages one and two etc to create a note, using the included instructions, but it's saved as a note not a template that can be used from scratch over and over again.

- Really really needs a way to give a note a bespoke name rather than the default auto-naming. I know I can re-name them, but that's a nuisance. Phatpad on the Pocket PC has three options; auto-naming like the Iliad now, a prompt to name a new note when you exit it (but with a default already filled in you can just accept if in a hurry), and a save as command that lets you name the note while it's still open. Even if the re-name button worked while actually inside a note, it'd be a start!

- Needs a way to cancel a note without saving. I often sketch something to illustrate what I'm explaining to someone, but don't need to keep it afterwards.

- If I turn the reader on it's side to create a landscape piece of "paper", stylus calibration is messed up due to the (now incorrect) angle of the stylus. A button could be added to re-set the calibration for landscape use.

- Zoom (and hence pan) is needed in notes, so I could zoom into a field on a form, or area of an image to write on.

- I'd love to be able to open a new blank note (selected in settings) with a long press on one of the buttons, or through some other shortcut, from wherever I am.

- Battery life is a little disappointing while note taking, though still not bad.

- I really look forward to the day when the Wacom pen pressure sensitivity is implemented.

Documents
- Pretty close to perfect so far for pdf's. Just needs a way for annotations to be merged with the original document by non-Windows users (I have now found a Java app on these forums which works great on my Mac), but preferably on the device.

Books
More formats maybe, and I find it annoying that I only see a thumbnail of the book cover (well, I do on the two books I've bought so far, and the included Holmes book!). A full screen image would be much more exciting!
other than that, I love the reading experience, and nearly lost it at airport security recently because the security guy loved it too!

What I most want is a better choice - I see no reason why my choice shouldn't be exactly the same as for paper books, but it sure isn't!

News
- RSS feeds without relying on Mobipocket please, as Mobipocket only support Windows desktops.

- I LOVE reading the Telegraph PM pdf editions on the Iliad, but it's a huge shame that's the only newpaper I can get, that I can't get it automatically, and that even that's only a précis. I was told there was a pdf version of one of the other UK broadsheets too, but I can't find it.

- Why won't it give me the answers to the crosswords?

Other
- I'd like an easy way to be sure the wifi is off, so I know 100% I'm not wasting battery, and for use on a plane. I think it's off unless I use it, but am not sure.

- Could do with being a bit quicker on large files.

- Needs a way to copy files from one storage location to another. I often get people to give me pdf files on their USB stick, but have to give the stick back, so it'd be good if I could copy the file from the stick to main memory. Same in reverse, so I could give others a copy of stuff I have on my Iliad.

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Great comments, Mark. I particularly agree with wanting to be able to pop up a note while reading another document, and the need to be able to copy files around between storage mechanisms. There's a port of a file browser app that you might want to try for that.

I am also looking forward to pressure sensitivity support. I think the iLiad could be quite a decent sketchpad once this is implemented.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Great comments, Mark. I particularly agree with wanting to be able to pop up a note while reading another document, and the need to be able to copy files around between storage mechanisms. There's a port of a file browser app that you might want to try for that.
Thanks! I'm reluctant to try third party apps just yet, because a) it's a little too new, b) I have no idea where to start, and c) I'm scared!!

Mark
Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRPenn View Post
Thanks! I'm reluctant to try third party apps just yet, because a) it's a little too new, b) I have no idea where to start, and c) I'm scared!!

Mark
With 2.11, as long as you have a CF card to unbrick your iLiad, there's almost nothing you can do to permanantly mess it up.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Where to start: you need to request the developer's kit to get "shell access," which allows you to run 3d party programs. Log in to "MyIrex" and then add "developer" to the end of the url. After you make the request, update your iLiad and you'll have the access.

I'd start with FBReader (much nicer for reading HTML and TXT formatted files) and EmelFM2 (the file browser utility). These are easy to install and you'll get a lot of functionality out of them. I have mrxvt (a shell window) installed on my iLiad as well, and I find it useful from time to time, but that will depend on how comfortable you are at the unix prompt. I also have gargoyle, just for fun. See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Software for a list of most of the 3d party programs available.

As Adam says, now that we can re-flash from the CF card, trying new apps is pretty safe. I did make a mistake with EmelFM2 and accidentally deleted or moved a file the iLiad needed, and I was able to restore the system from CF quite easily.

Have fun!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Neat, thanks people!

Is there a guide somewhere to restoring from a CF card?

Mark
Old 10-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

http://developer.irexnet.com/dev_fil...%20howto_0.pdf

See the above PDF.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
With 2.11, as long as you have a CF card to unbrick your iLiad, there's almost nothing you can do to permanantly mess it up.
Do you have to install a recovery application on the CF card BEFORE you muck it up, or can you muck up the iLiad, and run out and get a CF card, download a restore app and fix everything after the fact?
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRPenn View Post
Books
More formats maybe, and I find it annoying that I only see a thumbnail of the book cover (well, I do on the two books I've bought so far, and the included Holmes book!). A full screen image would be much more exciting!
Unfortunately, MobiPocket ebooks have smaller images than other ebooks, see: Images in MobiPocket.

For ebooks without DRM, your "more formats" request is met handily by FBReader. When multiple formats are available I used to recommend .mobi (.prc) but the image size issue is so serious that for illustrated books I now suggest MS Reader .lit ebooks for FBReader (after running them through ConvertLIT). On the iLiad, .lit conversion can be done for you by the contentlister.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 AM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
Do you have to install a recovery application on the CF card BEFORE you muck it up, or can you muck up the iLiad, and run out and get a CF card, download a restore app and fix everything after the fact?
When you request shell access with 2.11, you also get the reflash app. If you mess it up, you can download the reflash files to your CF card and unbrick as long as you have an external card reader.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #11
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Unfortunately, MobiPocket ebooks have smaller images than other ebooks, see: Images in MobiPocket.

For ebooks without DRM, your "more formats" request is met handily by FBReader. When multiple formats are available I used to recommend .mobi (.prc) but the image size issue is so serious that for illustrated books I now suggest MS Reader .lit ebooks for FBReader (after running them through ConvertLIT). On the iLiad, .lit conversion can be done for you by the contentlister.
Thanks.

The problem for me is that I like to read relatively recently published books (I have no idea why), which by default means DRM'd I think.

I'm assuming that for DRM'd books, I'm stuck with MobiPocket format and reader for now?

Mark
Old 10-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Stuck with it" is probably the wrong word to use. More books are available in Mobi format than in any other, so Mobi gives you the widest possible choice of books.

You could always buy books in LIT format, and use the "ConvertLIT" tool to remove the DRM, and then convert to other formats. This is, I believe, legal to do in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Stuck with it" is probably the wrong word to use. More books are available in Mobi format than in any other, so Mobi gives you the widest possible choice of books.

You could always buy books in LIT format, and use the "ConvertLIT" tool to remove the DRM, and then convert to other formats. This is, I believe, legal to do in the UK.
Hmm, that might work.

I didn't really mean stuck with it in terms of choice though, more the fact that images have issues in MobiPocket, and they don't have any Mac support, which just winds me up as a matter of principal!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not aware of any book creation tools for MobiPocket format which run on the Mac, but given the extremely wide range of file formats that the iLiad will handle "out of the box" - and even more if you install FBReader - how much of an issue is that for you? There's certainly no issue with buying Mobi format books using a Mac.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #15
Petitefadette
Petitefadette began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Another UK Broadsheet...

Quote:
- I LOVE reading the Telegraph PM pdf editions on the Iliad, but it's a huge shame that's the only newpaper I can get, that I can't get it automatically, and that even that's only a précis. I was told there was a pdf version of one of the other UK broadsheets too, but I can't find it.
One other Brit newspaper that has a similar PDF version is the Guardian. They have multiple sections available, each is about 10 pages and they are updated throughout the day. The format is actually easier to read on the Iliad screen, as well. At least it was for me. I didn't even have to zoom for it to be readable.

You can download them here. Still no easy way to download directly to the Iliad, of course. But it is another option.

-Petitefadette
Petitefadette is offline   Reply With Quote