Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #6211
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Sally (pride of our alley)
Mary Mary Quite Contrary
Jack and Jill
Oh! Susanna
Jeannie with the light brown hair
Nelly Bly
Emily
Martina

... and some more "classics":
Proud Maisie (Parry)
Marietta's Song (Korngold)
Cacilie (Strauss)
Amaryllis at the fountain (Quilter)
To Julia (Quilter)
Song for Athene (Tavener)
Adelaide (Beethoven)
Mad Bess of Bedlam (Purcell)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #6212
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Hey Jude - The Beatles (was that a girl?)
It was named after John Lennon's son, Julian.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #6213
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These are all from my record collection

Polythene Pam - The Beatles
Some Candy Talking - The Jesus And Mary Chain
Alice - Tom Waits
Irene Wilde - Ian Hunter
Sweet Jane - Lou Reed
I Hate Nerys Hughes - Half Man Half Biscuit
Helen Wheels - Paul McCartney & Wings
My Girl Josephine - Queen Ida & Her Zydeco Band
Shelia Take A Bow - The Smiths
Re-Educating Rita - Carter USM
Carmen - Lana Del Rey
Eve of Destruction - The Dickies
Hailie's Song - Eminem
Evangeline - Cocteau Twins
Gloria - Patti Smith
Cindy Tells Me - Brian Eno
The Ballad of Chasey Lain - Bloodhound Gang
Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine - The Killers
Annie Wants a Baby - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Eddie & Sheena - Wayne County & The Electric Chairs
Christine - Siouxsie & The Banshees
Cindy Incidentally - Rod Stewart & The Faces
Lisa Says - Lou Reed
Pearl's Cafe - The Specials
Jennifer Grey - The Men They Couldn't Hang
Plaistow Patricia - Ian Dury & The Blockheads
Sheila - Jamie T
Help Me Rhonda - The Beach Boys
See Emily Play - Pink Floyd
Sheena is a Punk - The Ramones
Virginia Plain - Roxy Music
Michelle - The Beatles
50 Ft Queenie - PJ Harvey
Song of Scheherazade - Renaissance
Walk Away Renee - The Four Tops
Alma - Tom Lehrer
Helena - My Chemical Romance
Valerie - The Zutons
Come On Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners
Johnny and Mary - Robert Palmer
Cold Ethyl - Alice Cooper
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
Molly's Chambers - Kings of Leon
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #6214
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Eve of Destruction

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #6215
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
Well I thought it was funny .
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #6216
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
ACK! I went to bed early and Issy started a Quiz question that I could answer! The horror!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #6217
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I play this with my kids. I ask them to give me any name and I will sing a song with that name in it. When I get the name, I sing;

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday, dear <insert name here>, Happy Birthday to you!

Easy
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #6218
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A few more (haven't exhaustively checked for duplication but don't think I saw them above);

The Wind Cries Mary - Hendrix
Jessica -The Allman Brothers
Ruby - The Kaiser Chiefs
Grace Kelly - Mike
Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
Rosanna - Toto
Oh Carol - Neil Sedaka

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 03-22-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Removed duplicates after searching thread.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #6219
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
It was named after John Lennon's son, Julian.
Girl then!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #6220
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tell Laura I Love Her
They Call the Wind Mariah
Good Golly Miss Molly
Molly Malone
Darcy Farrow
Hello MaryLou
Sheila
Farewell Angelina
Yellow Rose of Texas
Gloria

Stitchawl
Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #6221
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Well I thought it was funny .
It was funny. Clever too.

But still....

Stitchawl
Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #6222
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Yellow Rose of Texas

Stitchawl
Is that the one about the poor jaundiced girl?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #6223
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Is that the one about the poor jaundiced girl?
Actually... most folks never realized it, but they were singing about a mulatto prostitute! If my primary school music teacher learned this she'd be turning over in her grave!

Stitchawl
Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #6224
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Actually... most folks never realized it, but they were singing about a mulatto prostitute! If my primary school music teacher learned this she'd be turning over in her grave!

Stitchawl
Well there you go. I always thought it was about a flower. How naive am I (but I bet I'm not alone).
Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #6225
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well there you go. I always thought it was about a flower. How naive am I (but I bet I'm not alone).
...The song is based on a Texas legend from the days of the Texas War of Independence. According to the legend, a woman named Emily D. West (also known as "Emily Morgan") — a mulatto, and hence, the song's reference to her being "yellow" — who was seized by Mexican forces during the looting of Galveston seduced General Antonio López de Santa Anna, President of Mexico and commander of the Mexican forces. The legend credits her supposed seduction with lowering the guard of the Mexican army and facilitating the Texan victory in the Battle of San Jacinto waged in 1836 near present-day Houston. Santa Anna's opponent was General Sam Houston, who won the battle literally in minutes, and with almost no casualties.

The basic facts appear to be that Emily West migrated to Texas from New York City in late 1835. Sources describe her as a teen or as a woman of twenty.

Stitchawl