Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Article About Nook Apps

Did anyone see this?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
lionel47
Addict

I forgot to mention: this might make me get a Nook Color after all.

Last edited by lionel47; 11-08-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Essentially she is saying there won't be any Android market app available on the NC even though they were tested to be able to run on it. I'll going to hack this as soon as I can. I like more than the B&N curation experience
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Essentially she is saying there won't be any Android market app available on the NC even though they were tested to be able to run on it. I'll going to hack this as soon as I can. I like more than the B&N curation experience
I don't see anything bad about it. They are just trying to quality control the user experience which, when you think about it, is also part of buying any device.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
The big brother attitude about what I "really" want is what kept me boycotting Apple. The nook was so close to great that it was massively frustrating to have such a crippled library for non-B&N content. Fortunately, rooting repaired this defect and had no impact on what I did with B&N content and it totally changed the nook into a very good epub reader. If B&N had just done this from the start, then hacking would have just been an interesting exercise rather than an essential repair.

If they continue their attitude about crippled firmware, then hackers will fight back. It is a shame that B&N can't see that their policies are doing them no good. Possibly 1.5 will fix their problems, but I am not betting on it.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
The big brother attitude about what I "really" want is what kept me boycotting Apple.

If they continue their attitude about crippled firmware, then hackers will fight back. It is a shame that B&N can't see that their policies are doing them no good. Possibly 1.5 will fix their problems, but I am not betting on it.
I agree with you about Apple. They definitely try to dictate what you want in a computer. A lot of their success is due to the fact that many consumers are not concerned with what happens at any layer except the use interface. They could care less what it is running as long as their functional requirements are met.

Now, B&N, on the other hand, appears to have a different goal. It seems to me that they are saying "We have a platform that can do many things. However, we would like to tailor that platform to do one thing very well: reading content delivery."

So, if you think of B&N as a sculptor and Android OS as a block of marble, B&N's mission is to chip away everything that does not look like an e-reader or contribute to the primary goal: reading content delivery.

I think they are succeeding and will continue to succeed with every new firmware revision they release. However, I do believe the software designers need to do a better job of managing the features they are to chip away and those they are to implement.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
So, if you think of B&N as a sculptor and Android OS as a block of marble, B&N's mission is to chip away everything that does not look like an e-reader or contribute to the primary goal: reading content delivery.

I think they are succeeding and will continue to succeed with every new firmware revision they release. However, I do believe the software designers need to do a better job of managing the features they are to chip away and those they are to implement.
That would be a laudable goal were it not for the fact that B&N started out by removing everything that makes a good ereader and deliberately crippling the meager device functions that they kept (more so for non-B&N content). As I've said before, an ereader should have the ability to (1)find the book you need, (2)read the book, and (3)annotate/highlight in a useful & reasonably permanent way. Everything else is optional and a luxury and in some cases, sheer nonsense (3G/wifi delivery of content, web browser, games(!), blogs(!), etc.)

So far, B&N appears to have "chipped away" 2/3 of the most basic features required in an ereader and focused on a LOT of what I can only term "bling" (probably dreamt up by their marketing hacks) to entice consumers and make buying from them easier (fine, but hardly a priority for making a good ereader, which is why I can only deduce that they couldn't give a damn about that goal).

Most people seem to have softrooted their nooks to get that basic functionality back. In fact, look at most of the app library available for rooted nooks - they're doing B&N's basic job for them.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
That would be a laudable goal were it not for the fact that B&N started out by removing everything that makes a good ereader and deliberately crippling the meager device functions that they kept (more so for non-B&N content). As I've said before, an ereader should have the ability to (1)find the book you need, (2)read the book, and (3)annotate/highlight in a useful & reasonably permanent way. Everything else is optional and a luxury and in some cases, sheer nonsense (3G/wifi delivery of content, web browser, games(!), blogs(!), etc.)

So far, B&N appears to have "chipped away" 2/3 of the most basic features required in an ereader and focused on a LOT of what I can only term "bling" (probably dreamt up by their marketing hacks) to entice consumers and make buying from them easier (fine, but hardly a priority for making a good ereader, which is why I can only deduce that they couldn't give a damn about that goal).

Most people seem to have softrooted their nooks to get that basic functionality back. In fact, look at most of the app library available for rooted nooks - they're doing B&N's basic job for them.
Agreed. Need some designers with political savvy that can satisfy both marketing and users.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Interactive Field Guide apps are a natural extension of books to the digital marketplace. My first interest is Birds. A eBook conversion of Audubon, Petersons, National Geographic, or Sibleys from the paper guides would be disappointing.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Definitely the way to go. Just hope they're fairly quick with the 2.2 upgrade next year.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote