Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Lorif
Lorif began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, prs-t1
Kindle US or Canada or ?? for gift

Good morning all!
I have a Sony E-Reader and I love it. I take it on vacation, use it at home, always have a book to read in my purse with this. Not that I never read paper books anymore, but I definitely like my reader.
Now for the question, my father would like a reader for Christmas, and I am not sure which is the best option. He spends half his year in Florida, and half in Ontario. He is not terribly techie, checks email, looks at the newspaper online etc, but it needs to be simple. A couple of people he knows in Florida have Kindle's and so he is thinking kindle. I guess the questions are, if it is a Kindle, should it be from Amazon.ca or Amazon.com? and how would those choices be impacted by the portion of the year he is in the other country? And, is the Kindle the easiest to use?
Thanks for your help.
Lori
Lorif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
I'd say the Kindle global wireless one. That way, it won't matter where he is, he can get his paper/reading material whenever/wherever he wants.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Lorif

Differences between US and Canada Kindel

Hi again,
I guess when I am looking at the Amazon site, the Global Kindle is 6" and the US version is 9". It also looks like if I get the US one, he will be charged a per book fee when he is buying from Canada, and if I get the Canada one he will not be charged the fee.
I guess I also wonder if the kindle is more confusing with the keyboard, than the sony or another one without. One year I got him a PDA and he ended up passing it on to my nephew because it was too complicated. Now, he has expressed the interest in the ebook, so that is a good start.
Thanks,
Lori
Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorif View Post
Hi again,
I guess when I am looking at the Amazon site, the Global Kindle is 6" and the US version is 9". It also looks like if I get the US one, he will be charged a per book fee when he is buying from Canada, and if I get the Canada one he will not be charged the fee.
I guess I also wonder if the kindle is more confusing with the keyboard, than the sony or another one without. One year I got him a PDA and he ended up passing it on to my nephew because it was too complicated. Now, he has expressed the interest in the ebook, so that is a good start.
Thanks,
Lori
The only Kindle 2 that be ordered no matter what country you live in is the International version (Global). Right now the larger Kindle DX is only available to the U.S. market.

You would register the Kindle with either a Canadian or U.S. address. I would suggest using his U.S. address because he will have access to a larger number of books even though he will pay a bit more when ordering them while in Canada.

Since your Father has friends with Kindles, I'm sure they would be able to help him if he has any issues.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Just to clarify, there is only one version of the Kindle 2 now available: the global version; there is no US model anymore. The one exception to this is probably the refurbished unit.

The Kindle DX is a US-only product until sometime next year.

Also, all Kindles are sold from Amazon.com and not any other site.

All ebooks cost $2 more when downloading in Canada (everywhere outside the US) because of increased wireless costs.

This is such a gray area though, since he lives in Florida most the time. You should contact Amazon's support about this specific question. But the odds are that ebooks will cost $2 more when he buys them while in Canada, although I've heard of people who live near the border not having to pay the extra, so that's a tough question to answer.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You would register the Kindle with either a Canadian or U.S. address. I would suggest using his U.S. address because he will have access to a larger number of books even though he will pay a bit more when ordering them while in Canada.
Agreed this is the way to go. I think the extra charge for the "US" Kindle is only incurred if you have the ebook delivered via Whispernet while in Canada.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Lorif

Thanks, I hadn't even thought of the content available that is US only.
I see that I am not the only Sony user in the thread, does anyone have an opinion on ease of use between the readers?
Lori
Old 11-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I see that I am not the only Sony user in the thread, does anyone have an opinion on ease of use between the readers?
Lori
I don't own a Sony but will you father have a computer in Florida and will he comfortable buying and transferring content with it? He can download books directly to the Kindle from the Kindle store without a computer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Lori
Buying books: The Kindle is better
Reading books: The Sony is better

(I own both)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
Lorif

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Buying books: The Kindle is better
Reading books: The Sony is better

(I own both)
Hi Harry,
He does have a desktop computer in both locations (I set them up), so he could access the sony store from both locations.
You have both and said that reading is better with the Sony and I wondered in which way.
I am assuming that the buying is better with the Kindle because you don't have to connect to your computer. If you mean something else, please elaborate.
Basically, it will come down to it being easy enough for him to use.

Thanks,
Lori
Old 11-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
I am assuming that the buying is better with the Kindle because you don't have to connect to your computer.
Yep. That definitely makes things easier. But consider this into the equation too: The Sony ebook store is only available to US and Canadian customers. The benefit of this is that Sony's ebooks cost the same for both countries, whereas with the Kindle ebooks will cost $2 more when downloading in Canada.

If you know what types of ebooks he likes to read, it's a good idea to compare prices between the two. I've found that the ebooks from Sony that I like are typically priced pretty low compared to most ebook retailers. The one exception to this is Amazon; they seem to have the lowest prices generally, but that is considering US prices.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You have both and said that reading is better with the Sony and I wondered in which way.
The touch screen interface is much "slicker" to use than the Kindle, and it's just generally all mch better arranged.

Quote:
I am assuming that the buying is better with the Kindle because you don't have to connect to your computer. If you mean something else, please elaborate.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. With the Kindle, provided you're in an area of wireless coverage, you can simply browse the Kindle store on the device itself, click the "Buy" button, and a minute later it's there on your Kindle, ready to read.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #13
Lorif

Thanks all

Well, I ended up ordering the Kindle for the ease of use. He is not at his computer a lot, so being able to access books without having to use the USB should be easier. It also looks like he might be able to switch his address when he moves between countries. We will see how it works with that.
Thanks for your responses, they helped a lot.
Lori
Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
There are no extra charges for getting a book/magazine from Whispernet in Canada. I've had this confirmed since I'm praying I get one for Christmas and am in Canada. So the books may cost a touch more with the exchange, but there is no $2.00 download fee.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherslock View Post
There are no extra charges for getting a book/magazine from Whispernet in Canada. I've had this confirmed since I'm praying I get one for Christmas and am in Canada. So the books may cost a touch more with the exchange, but there is no $2.00 download fee.
There is no separate fee, but I believe you'll find that the book costs $2 more than it does in the USA - eg a book which is $9.99 in the US will be $11.99 in Canada.