Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Borrowing ePubs directly to eReader

It looks like the Overdrive app on the Sony PRS-T2 no longer works, but I'm still able to borrow Overdrive books from the Fort Worth Public Library via the T2's built-in web browser, which allows me to bypass the need for ADE on my Linux computer). Are there any other ePub Readers that will allow direct downloading of Overdrive ePub books? I'm pretty sure the Nook GlowLight 3 won't be able to do this (since, I don't believe, it has an available web browser). I've been borrowing so long with the Kindle that I don't even know how I used to do it with my Nook (if I ever did).

Last edited by rcentros; 11-17-2017 at 07:09 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The Kobo Aura One has direct borrowing with Over Drive built in the device.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The Kobo Aura One has direct borrowing with Over Drive built in the device.
That's good to know. I'm glad someone else is doing it. Maybe this feature will "filter down" to their "lesser" devices with future upgrades?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
One thing to be aware of with the KA1 is that for you to directly borrow the book on the device Kobo needs to have the same edition of the book in their bookstore. The Kobo Overdrive borrowing actually goes through the Kobo store rather than downloading it from the OD servers, so if Kobo does not have the EXACT same book as you are borrowing you're stuck having to go via your computer. Depending what type of books you are borrowing this could be a non-issue or a deal breaker if you're trying to avoid the need to go through your computer. It also borrows the book in KEPUB format rather than as an EPUB so you'll want to check the display differences between these formats too.

Last edited by robko; 11-17-2017 at 09:21 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:41 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
One thing to be aware of with the KA1 is that for you to directly borrow the book on the device Kobo needs to have the same edition of the book in their bookstore. The Kobo Overdrive borrowing actually goes through the Kobo store rather than downloading it from the OD servers, so if Kobo does not have the EXACT same book as you are borrowing you're stuck having to go via your computer. Depending what type of books you are borrowing this could be a non-issue or a deal breaker if you're trying to avoid the need to go through your computer. It also borrows the book in KEPUB format rather than as an EPUB so you'll want to check the display differences between these formats too.
Okay, so not quite as straight-forward with the Kobo. Today I've downloaded three documents (a Dean Koontz short story and two novellas) on the Sony PRS-T2. I forgot what a nice Reader the T2 is (I was testing it to see if I wanted to keep it or not – now I definitely do). The only thing I don't like about borrowing books (short stories and novellas) with it is that I can't return ePubs when I'm done. But on the last one I choose a 7 day borrowing period instead of a 21 day one – so that should help a little.

Any other ePub reader have this feature?
Old 11-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
In my experience with Overdrive books on Sony readers (mainly downloaded on PC and synced to reader) it is not possible to return "open epub" format books but other epubs are returnable.

Since I got a smartphone, if I want to return an open epub book I download a copy to my phone via the Overdrive app and then it can be returned from the app.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
On my Sony PRS-T3, borrowing from my local library through the website (they use a BorrowBox rather than Overdrive) the book times out after a certain number of days and deletes itself. I guess at that point the library marks it as back in stock. So just a couple of timers involved rather than any communication between the to parties.

I really enjoy my PRS-650 but do miss the browser of the PRS-T3 when I don't have it with me.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, they do expire at the end of your checkout period, and they will disappear from Loans on the library website. I think rcentros was talking about being able to return books early before the checkout period ends. The Sony Reader for PC software can return regular epubs early but not open epubs (unless something has changed since I last tried it, I don't read many open epubs)
Old 11-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
On my Sony PRS-T3, borrowing from my local library through the website (they use a BorrowBox rather than Overdrive) the book times out after a certain number of days and deletes itself. I guess at that point the library marks it as back in stock. So just a couple of timers involved rather than any communication between the to parties.
That's how Overdrive works on my Sony PRS-T2. But they give a choice (when checking out the book) to change the length of the loan. With Kindle books I just go 21 days (the longest length) and then return early when the book is read. With the T2 (since I'm not using ADE) I'll just start using the shortest time (7 days, or the middle time, 14 days) instead of 21. Than, if I don't get the book read, I can always check it out again. (So far, 7 days has been good.)
Old 11-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard

I used to set it for 7 days just prior to checking out an open epub, to make sure it would go away, but when reading returnable books I usually set it on 21 days just in case something were to prevent me from reading as quickly as I expected, especially for book with a hold list that I wouldn't be able to get again quickly.

Now that I have a smartphone I know I can use the Overdrive app to return any open epubs so I just keep it set on 21 days all the time. So even though I found reading on a smartphone is not for me, it does have its uses for library books ☺