Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
VeryWellAged
Eye pea vee for master
VeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Android tablets, Android phones and PC's both Windows and Linux.
Hyperlinks in footnotes don't work

I have MS Word docs with extensive footnotes. Within the footnotes are hyperlinks that do not belong in the main text and are referenced only within the footnote.

MS Word --> PDF conversions support this, but when converting from MS Word --> Epub with Calibre, it doesn't work.

I have read that Epub did not support this as a standard. Surely there is a patch to this somewhere, is there not?

Am I missing a setting in the Input-Output options in Calibre?
VeryWellAged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If ePub itself doesn't support external hyperlinks, this wouldn't seem to be a Calibre problem. What happens if you go into the Calibre editor and manually insert a hyperlink in a footnote. Does it work?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Uh!
Many of my EPUB books have Author (hyper)links that work (if the viewer app security allows)

The links need to be 100% validated going in
Calibre does not support DOC conversions. Never has.
Try DOCX (and avoid PDF as a source, like the plague)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
VeryWellAged
Eye pea vee for master
VeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Uh!
Many of my EPUB books have Author (hyper)links that work (if the viewer app security allows)

The links need to be 100% validated going in
Calibre does not support DOC conversions. Never has.
Try DOCX (and avoid PDF as a source, like the plague)
First it is a DOCX... PDF was not the source! The DOCX was the source.

Second, I never said Calibre didn't support links inside the body. Sure it does.

The problem is the links inside footnotes as experienced from the "reader" that ships with Calibre.

This is what I see.

I use the Reader included with Calibre to proof the results before posting the results.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
VeryWellAged
Eye pea vee for master

As I didn't know if is was the conversion or the reader, though I don't use ebook readers, I tested on a third party reader and the link opened. So there seems to be a bug in the Calibre supplied reader.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC links in footnotes that point back into the document are supported. I cannot recall if links that point to external sources are supported or not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
And this should take care fo external links: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...ca67451c9987c9
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, footnote, hyperlinks