Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #76
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
Is this release any faster than 2.4? I kind of don't really want to update unless it will make it a tad faster or the contrast better. Those are my only wishes at the moment.
My perception was that the fonts showed up darker. I adjusted the font weight adjustment down after 2.5.1.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #77
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowella View Post
I'd expect at least to show the same books as on my Android, not a blank page 1 of 2

I took your advice at heart and changed my payment address to my old home address and only then it is showing okay. However, it does mean I need to change my payment address back and forth between countries if I want to order a book, which is rather ridiculous.

For whatever reason, after switching countries my Glo is now showing a variety of titles, a whopping 135559 items!
If you changed to the UK, that would explain the extra titles.

A way to handle the different countries is to create a second account. Choose what ever address you want there. You can send the books to your main account as gifts. I'm not sure if that is any easier or not.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #78
Rowella
Sleepy
Rowella began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you changed to the UK, that would explain the extra titles.

A way to handle the different countries is to create a second account. Choose what ever address you want there. You can send the books to your main account as gifts. I'm not sure if that is any easier or not.
That works, what also works is searching for a title with the localised account, usually the title does pop up, sometimes more than once and with different prices.
Rowella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #79
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
That works, what also works is searching for a title with the localised account, usually the title does pop up, sometimes more than once and with different prices.
I have also seen the same title with different prices.

On looking closer I found that the publishers, dates and/or the ISBN were different ? Hence different prices for basically the same book !
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #80
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
No installation issues with this latest release or its predecessor though my KT did hang during download of FW 2.40.

The only visible thing I noticed on FW 2.50 & FW 2.51 is after the update completes and boots to the home screen but hasn't yet refreshed the home screen to include books on the SD card, there is a small black dot (perhaps it is square). For a moment of panic I though the screen was broken.

Chess is still broken, I know it is an unsupported extra but I sure wish they could ‘unbreak’ whatever broke the program. Always seems to crash on Kobo's move (I am not the best chess player, but come on; I know I am not that bad).
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #81
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i upgraded to 2.5.1 this morning and no problems so fingers crossed; i did notice that it goes to sleep quicker and turns back on from sleep quicker...
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #82
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
The only visible thing I noticed on FW 2.50 & FW 2.51 is after the update completes and boots to the home screen but hasn't yet refreshed the home screen to include books on the SD card, there is a small black dot (perhaps it is square). For a moment of panic I though the screen was broken.
If you are getting a tiny dot where the book cover is suppose to be that means the book image is corrupted.
  1. Plug your Kobo to a PC
  2. Go to your SD Card->koboExtStorage->images
  3. Remove the book image files (It should be the same name as your book title)
  4. UnPlug from PC and Kobo should regenerate the book cover again

If that doesn't work you would have to use Sigil to add a cover to your book and reload the book into your Kobo.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #83
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
If you are getting a tiny dot where the book cover is suppose to be that means the book image is corrupted.
  1. Plug your Kobo to a PC
  2. Go to your SD Card->koboExtStorage->images
  3. Remove the book image files (It should be the same name as your book title)
  4. UnPlug from PC and Kobo should regenerate the book cover again

If that doesn't work you would have to use Sigil to add a cover to your book and reload the book into your Kobo.
Thanks RZentlin
It only shows up as a dot untill its done scanning through the external card. Once it's done scanning everything appears as it should, I never noticed the dot before, had me worried for a moment.

Anyways, thanks for the tip, it will be usefull when I go to fix a few poorly rendered cover images.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #84
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Everybody, if you have a bug with 2.5.1 or an old bug is still present with this firmware, please read here: Kobo Bug thread
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #85
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I noticed since 2.5.0 (and yes, I was upgrading as soon as the new version became available) that text in dictionary lookup (popup window) gets cut on the right. English dictionary, side-loaded ePubs. Does not happen always, but it is frequent enough to be annoying.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #86
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
It always ticked me off royally that I can't access any English books without using search while temporarily residing in a non-English speaking country (and being forced book titles upon me in the local language). Stupid IP link to languages without proper alternatives is in my eyes discrimination against expatriates/travellers.
As davidfor mentioned earlier, you can change your home address in your account settings to an English speaking country... [I know you already did this, but:]

Quote:
I took your advice at heart and changed my payment address to my old home address and only then it is showing okay. However, it does mean I need to change my payment address back and forth between countries if I want to order a book, which is rather ridiculous.
Nope! You don't have to. Your address does not have to match what your billing address is, it doesn't even have to match your credit card address. I've been using my Dutch credit card on a fake UK address since forever with no problems at all

What davidfor mentioned later, to use several accounts with different countries as address details also works, but I find it not necessary if you only ever read one language (Though I do have several accounts with different countries set, but that's just to scout out the cheapest version of one book; country prices differ and also some countries do and others don't allow promotional discount codes for the same book.)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #87
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm glad to see there have been some updates during the last few weeks that I was AWOL!

I noticed though that no-one mentioned a certain very important 'bug', not here nor in the 2.5.0 thread: does anyone know if sleeping or switching off the device still causes fast battery drain if the screen is touched [by a cover, sleeve, finger, tissue, whatever] prior to complete screen change?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #88
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I'm glad to see there have been some updates during the last few weeks that I was AWOL!

I noticed though that no-one mentioned a certain very important 'bug', not here nor in the 2.5.0 thread: does anyone know if sleeping or switching off the device still causes fast battery drain if the screen is touched [by a cover, sleeve, finger, tissue, whatever] prior to complete screen change?
As far as I could tell in my limited testing, that bug seems to have gone. In exchange, I now get lousy looking covers on the sleep/power off screen for sideloaded books unless I manually generate the images.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #89
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As far as I could tell in my limited testing, that bug seems to have gone. In exchange, I now get lousy looking covers on the sleep/power off screen for sideloaded books unless I manually generate the images.

Regards,
David
Oh! Really!! Wow I had half expected you to say "bug still there" and I'd be rather surprised at Kobo for sending out an update without fixing such a substantial problem. I'm glad to be pleasantly surprised instead, though it puzzles me that no-one shouted it from the roof tops (or even whispered it through the chimney for that matter).

Shame about the ugly covers. But wasn't that always the case? I gave up on Kobo making my covers and set Calibre to always send the covers along.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #90
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
.... though it puzzles me that no-one shouted it from the roof tops (or even whispered it through the chimney for that matter).
Probably because although it was a HUGE bug for those that had it, it didn't actually effect that many people. I think you'll have to try for yourself and see if it fixed it for you (hope it did, but I wouldn't hold my breath).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote