Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I'm sorry to hear this. It looks like there's a problem with the PW firmware.

Not really. Even on the K3, only two alternative reading apps supported Arabic:

1. Duokan Lite [Not Duokan 2012] (RTL support was sketchy, for example it wouldn't open your Kalila wa Dimna epub.)

2. fbKindle with Matan's patch (slightly better RTL support, but no support for embedded fonts.)

(CoolReader doesn't support RTL text at all and won't support RTL text in the future according to the developers.)

If RTL support is important to you, you may want to return the PW and either get an older Kindle or better an iPad (or another reader that doesn't use the ADE engine).

You could also mention this issue in the Kindle Developer's forum, but hardly anybody there seems to be interested in localization issues.
Thanks for your informative post. I will keep the PW, because I like it and I'm in Saudi Arabia, it is difficult to return it back I guess. I have an iPad which is not good in e-reading for long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Doitsu: No issues with (both) your test files .
Great news, how can I get same result as yours, is your font hack compatible with PW now?

[Update]

I just connected the PW to my pc for the first time and copied both files of "Doitsu", and to my surprise, both files work fine. So, my problem was due to using amazon's "send to kindle" which send files first to the cloud then download them to the kindle. In this process, the books get the wrong orientation I believe.

I complied some of my ePub books with Kindle Previewer and I checked the output mobi files in the PW and all work fine now when copied with usb cable.

Last edited by kim1406; 10-18-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: update
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kim1406: Yep, Send to Kindle/sending stuff to the kindle email doesn't support KF8, for some reason...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel Ezzine View Post
KF8 mobi is the thing then!
How do I convert say .prc .txt .rtf .pdf .azw3 files to a KF8 kind of mobi ?
On Calibre (which is my main converting station) when choosing mobi, there is not a KF8 option actually! so any help?
KF8 is the internal name of the new format. Select AZW3 as the output format in Calibre when converting files.
(You can also install KindlePreviewer and convert .txt and. .html files to KF8/AZW3 by opening them with it.)

Note that .txt and .pdf files usually don't convert well and converting .prc to .azw3 will not improve the quality.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
alfarhan
Enthusiast
alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
The best way to enable Kindle Touch & Kindle Paperwhite read Arabic WITHOUT Jailbreaking your kindle, you might follow these steps here http://www.tech-wd.com/wd/2013/02/01...le-paperwhite/
alfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote