Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Why is the "ArialUnicodeMS" font embedded?

I'm using Word 2010 SP1 & Adobe Acrobat X. I have tried searching for hidden characters may have used this font, like page breaks or paragraph ending marks, etc. Found some and I simply changed them to the book's regular font. But after saving the PDF and going to File - Properties - Fonts, it's STILL there.

Seriously, what gives? I'm pretty sure the .docx file doesn't reference this font anywhere yet it still gets embedded somehow.

Last edited by DSpider; 12-12-2011 at 07:55 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
My guess would be that your document contains an unused style definition that uses this font. ArialUnicodeMS is also often used as the default font in MS Words docs originally created with non-US Office versions.
Since .docx files are actually .zip files with a bunch of .xml files in them, you can rename a copy of your .docx file to .zip, unzip all files and then use a free text search tool, for example, Agent Ransack, to find out where this font is referenced in your .docx file.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Yup. You were pretty spot on.

styles.xml
fontTable.xml
stylesWithEffects.xml

The "No Spacing" style was set to "Arial Unicode MS". I removed it because it wasn't used anywhere in the document. And I also edited the "Normal" style from "(Default) Arial Unicode MS" to "(Default) Times New Roman". It even brought the filesize down a little, about 50 KB or so (from 1.20 MB to 1.15 MB). Somehow the whole font was embedded. Apparently Acrobat doesn't subset it...

Hmmm, good to know. Thanks a lot!
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
docx, pdf conversion